News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lilly Rotation; Zambrano Bullpen  ( 35,046 )

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Lilly Rotation; Zambrano Bullpen
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 21, 2010, 09:29:07 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 21, 2010, 09:26:56 PM
Quote from: Bort on April 21, 2010, 09:21:23 PM
I just learned that because the Cubs are winning today, I'm an idiot for hating this move.

Who in Fuck's name do you commiserate with?

Mostly Dr. Scotch.

Dr. Scotch is never wrong.  I'm going to have to reassess my opinion of the move.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 09:31:17 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 21, 2010, 09:26:56 PM
Quote from: Bort on April 21, 2010, 09:21:23 PM
I just learned that because the Cubs are winning today, I'm an idiot for hating this move.

Who in Fuck's name do you commiserate with?

Hey, as soon as Lou moved Z to the bullpen, Soriano started hitting like it was 2006. 

Are they related?  Yes.  Yes they are.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »
Quote from: Day Man on April 21, 2010, 08:24:04 PM
Just in case you haven't decided which side you're on yet:

Quote from: Al Yellon, King of the SimpsGood. I'm all for this. Discuss. I'll delay the pregame post until 5:00 CDT again.

Time to celebrate!  Push back that pregame post!  Lou Piniella GETS IT.
An oldie but still relevant:

Quote(After the Barrett - Zambrano fight) Jim -- if you're reading this, it's time to make a bold move, time to shake things up, time to tell every single player and coach on this ballclub that "business as usual" (and five losses in a row is NOT good business, is it?) will not be tolerated. We discussed this at length in the bleachers today and here was our consensus.

Call up Omar Minaya and tell him Z's available, and make a deal. Now. Today, if possible, tomorrow, if not. Whatever's gotten into Z's head, it is clear that his time with the Cubs has to be up. And I hate saying that, because we all know the sort of talent Z has, and he just turned 26 today (some birthday, huh?), and he might turn in several more great seasons (although with 1/3 of this year gone and a 5.62 ERA, this year may be a lost one already). Minaya loves Z; the Mets could use him, and he's already hinted that he'd like to sign there next year (as opposed to with the Yankees, where he couldn't bat except during interleague games in NL parks), and the Mets can afford him.

What should the Cubs ask for in return? It's very simple, and in fact, I think the Mets would do this deal. Aaron Heilman and Mike Pelfrey. Heilman is someone Hendry has shown interest in before, and Pelfrey is one of their top pitching prospects. Heilman steps into the Cub rotation, and if he fails, Pelfrey -- who is 23 and has made ten major league starts, including six this year -- could step in instead, with Heilman becoming a setup man, something this club sorely needs.

Yellon has always liked Z a lot less than many other, not-as-good players.

One wonders what colors Al's vision...

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 21, 2010, 09:36:51 PM

Quote from: Al Yellon, King of the SimpsGood. I'm all for this. Discuss. I'll delay the pregame post until 5:00 CDT again.

Quote(After the Barrett - Zambrano fight) Jim -- if you're reading this, it's time to make a bold move, time to shake things up, time to tell every single player and coach on this ballclub that "business as usual" (and five losses in a row is NOT good business, is it?) will not be tolerated. We discussed this at length in the bleachers today and here was our consensus.

Call up Omar Minaya and tell him Z's available, and make a deal. Now. Today, if possible, tomorrow, if not. Whatever's gotten into Z's head, it is clear that his time with the Cubs has to be up. And I hate saying that, because we all know the sort of talent Z has, and he just turned 26 today (some birthday, huh?), and he might turn in several more great seasons (although with 1/3 of this year gone and a 5.62 ERA, this year may be a lost one already). Minaya loves Z; the Mets could use him, and he's already hinted that he'd like to sign there next year (as opposed to with the Yankees, where he couldn't bat except during interleague games in NL parks), and the Mets can afford him.

What should the Cubs ask for in return? It's very simple, and in fact, I think the Mets would do this deal. Aaron Heilman and Mike Pelfrey. Heilman is someone Hendry has shown interest in before, and Pelfrey is one of their top pitching prospects. Heilman steps into the Cub rotation, and if he fails, Pelfrey -- who is 23 and has made ten major league starts, including six this year -- could step in instead, with Heilman becoming a setup man, something this club sorely needs.

His blinding hot racism against Venezuela?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
This is either crazy stupid or crazy brilliant.  I'll give Lou credit for one thing--not giving a shit about egos or defined roles, but just caring about winning....and not about getting fired.

I think that this should free up Lou to use Marmol earlier in a game in "need a K" situations--like 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, in the 6th in a 1 or 2-run game or something.  You can always leave Z for the 9th.  Or you can bring in Z to get the big outs earlier in the game.

If Carlos pitches 3-4 innings every 5 days, and Gorzellany pitches 6 innings every 5 days, the loss of innings won't be 100 innings.  Maybe 40.  But if you get better innings with a lead than the 40 you'd lose from Carlos, it might be worth it.  Or break even.  Or something.

I'm going to roll with this because it at least makes this team more interesting than it was when I woke up this morning.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on April 21, 2010, 09:55:56 PM
This is either crazy stupid or crazy brilliant.  I'll give Lou credit for one thing--not giving a shit about egos or defined roles, but just caring about winning....and not about getting fired.

I think that this should free up Lou to use Marmol earlier in a game in "need a K" situations--like 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, in the 6th in a 1 or 2-run game or something.  You can always leave Z for the 9th.  Or you can bring in Z to get the big outs earlier in the game.

If Carlos pitches 3-4 innings every 5 days, and Gorzellany pitches 6 innings every 5 days, the loss of innings won't be 100 innings.  Maybe 40.  But if you get better innings with a lead than the 40 you'd lose from Carlos, it might be worth it.  Or break even.  Or something.

I'm going to roll with this because it at least makes this team more interesting than it was when I woke up this morning.

Doing something different for the sake of doing something/doing something stupid/doing something that makes zero sense = caring about winning.

Got it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »

If it were Theriot being demoted to the bench, he'd be choking on his bologna.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 21, 2010, 10:00:42 PM

Doing something different for the sake of doing something/doing something stupid/doing something that makes zero sense = caring about winning.

Got it.

I caught the tail end of Boers and Bernstein today and most of their calls seemed to revolve around this retarded talking point.

I fucking hate the Cubs and most of the fans.

And fuck Al too, just to be sure.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 21, 2010, 08:19:33 PM
My first thought went back to the College of Coaches, which was, at the time, an epic embarassment.

It takes something as stupid as the college of coaches to keep this from being the dumbest thing the Cubs have ever done. I hate this team.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
I hear Tom Treblehorn is coming back to give some motivational pep talks out by the firehouse.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »

This is the Capital of Wrongsylvania.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

RW

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 01:35:39 AM »
Wrongissburg???

Or Dieinafireburg???

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 04:42:28 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 22, 2010, 01:28:00 AM

Population:  CFiHP!
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 06:33:32 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 22, 2010, 04:42:28 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 22, 2010, 01:28:00 AM

Population:  CFiHP!

Wait, he was being serious? I thought that was just a bit making fun of brickbrained Cubs fans.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 06:39:36 AM »
Quote from: Bort on April 21, 2010, 09:42:38 PM

His blinding hot racism against Venezuela?

Subtle.
M'lady.