News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010 WORLD CUP - SOCCER IS GHEY.  ( 71,701 )

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Re: 2010 WORLD CUP - ROCK! FLAG! EAGLE!
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 02, 2010, 03:18:53 PM
Quote from: flannj on June 02, 2010, 01:58:17 PM
Quote from: Oleg on June 02, 2010, 12:26:58 PM
I'm with Powen.  I normally don't care much for soccer, but if you can't get into the spirit of something as cool as the World Cup, then fuck off.  This is one of the coolest sporting events in the world.  It's about 48 times cooler than the Winter Olympics and abut 146 times cooler than the Summer Olympics.

So, having said that...any chance that the US actually makes it out of the first round?  Is Slovenia any good this time around?  I'm sure England is going to clobber The US, but is anyone else a factor?

Also, I had no idea that Slovania and Slovakia are actually different countries.  Who knew?

The best result that the US can (probably unrealistically) hope for would be a draw in their first game vs England.
That said the US has a decent chance to make it into the second round.
And then they will immediately lose to Germany.

I can't see them beating England. The back line is terrible. They looked better in the second half vs. Turkey but the first half was a disaster. I think England is going to tear us up. I hope I'm wrong.

They could play balls out and do well; or they could flame out. Just depends on who shows up for us. That's the mindfuck of being a US fan; we have to wait four goddamn years to either be incredibly surprised or amazingly disappointed.

England is going to come out cannons blazing. They are going to be strong in the air, yet susceptible to individual and creative play. Either Donovan plays his ass off and Dempsey brings his finishing skills, or it could be a really ugly start.  This Torres kid could be a serious factor late in the game.

A few choice words to John Terry or Wayne Rooney should be enough to get a red card. That could be a good strategy.    

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 04:42:01 PM »
Quote from: powen01 on June 02, 2010, 04:33:53 PM
I'm with Powen.  I normally don't care much for soccer, but if you can't get into the spirit of something as cool as the World Cup, then fuck off.  This is one of the coolest sporting events in the world.  It's about 48 times cooler than the Winter Olympics and abut 146 times cooler than the Summer Olympics.

So, having said that...any chance that the US actually makes it out of the first round?  Is Slovenia any good this time around?  I'm sure England is going to clobber The US, but is anyone else a factor?

Also, I had no idea that Slovania and Slovakia are actually different countries.  Who knew?

The best result that the US can (probably unrealistically) hope for would be a draw in their first game vs England.

I can't see them beating England. The back line is terrible. They looked better in the second half vs. Turkey but the first half was a disaster. I think England is going to tear us up. I hope I'm wrong.

They could play balls out and do well; or they could flame out. Just depends on who shows up for us. That's the mindfuck of being a US fan; we have to wait four goddamn years to either be incredibly surprised or amazingly disappointed.

England is going to come out cannons blazing. They are going to be strong in the air, yet susceptible to individual and creative play. Either Donovan plays his ass off and Dempsey brings his finishing skills, or it could be a really ugly start.  This Torres kid could be a serious factor late in the game.

A few choice words to John Terry or Wayne Rooney should be enough to get a red card. That could be a good strategy.    

I was actually thinking the same thing. If they can consult with the Hawks for some good mindfuck strategies they might be able to pull one of those two clowns into some tomfoolery.

Perhaps the pressure on Rooney to deliver a WC to England is the USA's biggest ally.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 02, 2010, 04:33:32 PM
That said, I think it's a blast to actually play. I've subbed for a few people's indoor soccer teams when they needed help. It was a great time. Playing soccer is infinitely better than watching it.

Also, if I had one way to "fix" soccer for me, it would be to make the field smaller.

Ideally small enough that you don't have to run?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on June 02, 2010, 04:42:40 PM
That said, I think it's a blast to actually play. I've subbed for a few people's indoor soccer teams when they needed help. It was a great time. Playing soccer is infinitely better than watching it.

Also, if I had one way to "fix" soccer for me, it would be to make the field smaller.

Ideally small enough that you don't have to run?

How about to "make professional soccer a more intriguing spectator sport for me, it would blah blah blah"?

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
Slak, or something like this?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
Quote from: powen01 on June 02, 2010, 04:49:02 PM
Slak, or something like this?

I was just about to make a joke about that looking a whole lot like Bullet Tooth Tony from Snatch...
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 02, 2010, 04:23:49 PM
Soccer blows.

I'm of the same sentiment, but I figure I'll let these soccer hooligans have their time. I think it's a horrible spectator sport. Kurt's description of it being a party in the stands makes me think of the bleachers at Wrigley. So a bunch of soccer hooligan chads drinking their time away? Yay?

Also, if I had one way to "fix" soccer for me, it would be to make the field smaller. It seems like there's too many breaks in the action. I would think with a smaller field, you'll get some more excitement going. But that's coming from someone who watches very little of the sport.

It's not at all like the bleachers.  They drink a lot but they are totally focused on two things -- the game on the field, and their raging hatred of the Jews. 

...okay, maybe it's more like the bleachers than I've led you to believe.
M'lady.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
I'm with Powen.  I normally don't care much for soccer, but if you can't get into the spirit of something as cool as the World Cup, then fuck off. This is one of the coolest sporting events in the world.  It's about 48 times cooler than the Winter Olympics and abut 146 times cooler than the Summer Olympics.

Those. I never watch soccer and know as much about it as I do about hockey and yeast infections, but it's still fun to watch for a month every four years. Especially if some French guys get kicked in the nuts.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »

Rooney I can see, but John Terry?  I have seen a lot of Chelsea matches in the last 8 years or so, and I can't think of many times where I can say Terry lost his cool and was sent-off as the result.  

As for US, I am curious to see if Donovan will nut-up and play like he did for Everton, or suck like he did in the last world cup.  If he plays well, US will move on to the next round.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 02, 2010, 12:37:07 PM
Quote from: Bort on June 02, 2010, 12:28:02 PM

Sober people. Who own maps.

Clearly, I'm neither.

I already knew you didn't know that. Because when I told you I was half Slovenian, you told me Marian Hossa was from Solvenia and I had a raging Hossaboner until I got on the interwebs and realized you were half bright.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 02, 2010, 06:12:21 PM

Clearly, I'm neither.

I already knew you didn't know that. Because when I told you I was half Slovenian, you told me Marian Hossa was from Solvenia and I had a raging Hossaboner until I got on the interwebs and realized you were half bright.

I thought you said, "Slovakian."  Jebus, dude, Slovenia wasn't even in the hockey thing in Vancouver.  Are you sure you're black?

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 02, 2010, 06:41:59 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 02, 2010, 06:12:21 PM

Clearly, I'm neither.

I thought you said, "Slovakian."  Jebus, dude, Slovenia wasn't even in the hockey thing in Vancouver.  Are you sure you're black?

You just said you didn't know there was a... nevermind.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
Quote from: air2300 on June 02, 2010, 06:10:47 PM

Rooney I can see, but John Terry?  I have seen a lot of Chelsea matches in the last 8 years or so, and I can't think of many times where I can say Terry lost his cool and was sent-off as the result.  

As for US, I am curious to see if Donovan will nut-up and play like he did for Everton, or suck like he did in the last world cup.  If he plays well, US will move on to the next round.

I just don't think anyone has tried hard enough:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1283344/John-Terrys-father-escapes-jail-supplying-cocaine.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248816/John-Terry-sacked-England-Captain-showdown-manager-Fabio-Capello.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/25/wayne-bridge-john-terry-england

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 02, 2010, 04:57:17 PM
Soccer blows.

I'm of the same sentiment, but I figure I'll let these soccer hooligans have their time. I think it's a horrible spectator sport. Kurt's description of it being a party in the stands makes me think of the bleachers at Wrigley. So a bunch of soccer hooligan chads drinking their time away? Yay?

Also, if I had one way to "fix" soccer for me, it would be to make the field smaller. It seems like there's too many breaks in the action. I would think with a smaller field, you'll get some more excitement going. But that's coming from someone who watches very little of the sport.

It's not at all like the bleachers.  They drink a lot but they are totally focused on two things -- the game on the field, and their raging hatred of the Jews

Have you ever been to any games against Tottenham Hotspurs?  Yikes.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 02, 2010, 04:57:17 PM
Soccer blows.

It's not at all like the bleachers.  They drink a lot but they are totally focused on two things -- the game on the field, and their raging hatred of the Jews.  

You can go ahead and add this post to the list of things you've done that don't suck:

1. Scarlos photoshop.
2. This post.