News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Now He Can Fire Billy Martin Again...And Again...And Again  ( 4,634 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Now He Can Fire Billy Martin Again...And Again...And Again
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »
Quote from: MAD on July 13, 2010, 08:54:12 AM
George Steinbrenner, 80.

Shittiest dead pool thread title, or shittiest thread title ever?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »
Richard....

YOU'RE HIRED!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 13, 2010, 08:59:34 AM
Quote from: MAD on July 13, 2010, 08:54:12 AM
George Steinbrenner, 80.

Shittiest dead pool thread title, or shittiest thread title ever?

Sorry I didn't quote "Seinfeld", sitcom boy.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Butthead claims his 8-point number 4 pick and jumps up into a tie with RV at 12 points a piece.

Could have been tied for second with TEC and Yeti at 13 if Big Stein had only had that grabber 10 days earlier.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 13, 2010, 09:42:44 AM
Butthead claims his 8-point number 4 pick and jumps up into a tie with RV at 12 points a piece.

Could have been tied for second with TEC and Yeti at 13 if Big Stein had only had that grabber 10 days earlier.

I'd be in better shape if Artie Lange hadn't pussed out on the suicide attempt.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »
This really is a terrible thread title.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 13, 2010, 10:33:22 PM
This really is a terrible thread title.

Agreed.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 08:48:02 AM »
The government lost out on potentially $500 million in taxes.

QuoteForbes magazine has estimated Mr. Steinbrenner's estate at $1.1 billion. The federal estate tax in 2009 was 45 percent, with the $3.5 million per-person exemption. If he had died last year, his estate could have faced federal taxes of almost $500 million, depending on how the estate was structured.

Nice choice, Obama

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »
This is a little old, but too good to ignore.

The Raiders released the following statement from Al Davis regarding the passing of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner:

"He was a friend and a warrior. We not only shared a birthday, but also an unyielding will to win and an unparalleled commitment to excellence.

"I judge sports figures based on individual achievement, team achievement and contributions to the game," Davis said. "George was right up there with me at No. 1 — bright, aggressive and, most of all, not afraid.

"When the Yankees were going through the lean times in the '80s and after we beat the Redskins in the Super Bowl in Tampa, George and I would talk and I would pep him up," Davis said. "Later on, he did the same for me when Tampa beat us in the Super Bowl."

God knows when anyone thinks of "individual achievement, team achievement and contributions to the game", Al Davis comes to mind.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 19, 2010, 11:30:10 AM

The Raiders released the following statement from Al Davis regarding the passing of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner:

"He was a friend and a warrior. We not only shared a birthday, but also an unyielding will to win and an unparalleled commitment to excellence.

"I judge sports figures based on individual achievement, team achievement and contributions to the game," Davis said. "George was right up there with me at No. 1 — bright, aggressive and, most of all, not afraid.

"When the Yankees were going through the lean times in the '80s and after we beat the Redskins in the Super Bowl in Tampa, George and I would talk and I would pep him up," Davis said. "Later on, he did the same for me when Tampa beat us in the Super Bowl."

God knows when anyone thinks of "individual achievement, team achievement and contributions to the game", Al Davis comes to mind.

I'd say Al Davis made more contributions to his game than Steinbrenner did to his.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 19, 2010, 11:51:01 AM

I'd say Al Davis made more contributions to his game than Steinbrenner did to his.

Yeah, Al Davis is insane now, but without him, there's no way the NFL looks the way it does.

Without him, the AFL goes the way of the USFL and the WFL.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »

Okay, so let's applaud what Al Davis did 20-30 years ago and forget the fact that Steinbrenner essentially revolutionized the model for teams with the YES Network and was the first to really understand free agency.

The Raiders haven't been in a playoff game in 8 years.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:02:14 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 19, 2010, 12:43:10 PM

Okay, so let's applaud what Al Davis did 20-30 years ago and forget the fact that Steinbrenner essentially revolutionized the model for teams with the YES Network and was the first to really understand free agency.

The Raiders haven't been in a playoff game in 8 years.

And the Yanks hadn't been in the playoffs for 13 years between 1981 and 1995, which would account for nearly half of Steinbrenner's tenure.

His first two World Series titles were more the result of him being at the right place at the right time at the dawn of Free Agency, and he took full advantage.  That hardly took any vision.

Finally, the nucleus of the most recent Yankee dynasty was put in place when that obnoxious fat fuck was on the sidelines.  Jeter, Posada, Pettite and Rivera were all acquired when the Big Stein was suspended.

So to recap:

1)  Two World Series titles early in his tenure, thanks to being in New York and able to spend freely.

2)  Then...nothing, for nearly a  decade-and-half.

3)  Then, a renaissance born while he was absent.

As for the YES! Network.  Okay fine.  Good call.  But that didn't necessarily require any unique vision, just the financial muscle to pull ito off.   The idea would have been obvious to anyone looking to maximize revenue streams.  Revolutionary?  Perhaps, but if Steinbreener hadn't engineered it, the plan would still have been inevitable, and someone else would have engineered it..

Yes, Davis' Raiders hadn't won a playoff game for 8 whole years, but TJ is allowing for that fact when he refers to him as being insane now.
Eli G. (6-22-10)