News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Now He Can Fire Billy Martin Again...And Again...And Again  ( 4,633 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Now He Can Fire Billy Martin Again...And Again...And Again
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 19, 2010, 01:02:14 PM
That hardly took any vision.

So little vision that no one else did it (well, at least) until he did?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 19, 2010, 01:12:07 PM

Free agency was in its infancy. Steinbrenner just signed anyone who wanted to be a Yankee, with some good results (Reggie Jackson) and some bad ones (Don Gullett). Bill Veeck said at the time that Steinbrenner's biggest failure wasn't his overpaying for stardom, it was his overpaying for mediocrity.

It is also no mistake that the Yankees' best run (1996-2000) was due to a team largely assembled during his second ban from baseball.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 19, 2010, 01:23:33 PM

Free agency was in its infancy. Steinbrenner just signed anyone who wanted to be a Yankee, with some good results (Reggie Jackson) and some bad ones (Don Gullett). Bill Veeck said at the time that Steinbrenner's biggest failure wasn't his overpaying for stardom, it was his overpaying for mediocrity.

It is also no mistake that the Yankees' best run (1996-2000) was due to a team largely assembled during his second ban from baseball.

What does that have to do with YES?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
Steinbrenner didn't revoluationize the model for other MLB teams.  He revolutionized it for the Yankees.  He spent a shitload of money on free agents and he set up the YES network, but what impact does that have on MLB?  No other franchises except maybe the Red Sox and the Cubs have ability to emulate what Steinbrenner did.

Al Davis has always been insane, but his insanity has actually changed the landscapre of pro football and even other sports.  It was largely due to his leadership that the AFL was able to force the NFL into a merger (which set the blueprint for the WHA to pull the same thing on the NHL).  His lawsuit against the NFL in the 80's set the stage for the movement of franchises.  Without it, there would not be any Indianapolis Colts, no Oklahoma City Thunder, no Phoenix Coyotes.

Guh.

I'm not saying that Davis' acheivements turned out to be great things for sports or sports fans, but I certainly think he did a lot more to change the face of professional sports than George Steinbrenner.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 19, 2010, 01:36:29 PM

He didn't innovate there either. The whole team/network model was devised by Ted Turner.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »
An owner who did revolutionary stuff with TV? Look no further.

An owner who did revolutionary stuff with pay television?  Look no further.

An owner who was able to put his stamp on the 1970s by firing and releasing people at will? Look no further.

An owner not ashamed to buy a World Series? Look no further.

An owner who figured out Rent-A-Player? Look no further.

An owner who figured out how to make the team's brand go global? Look no further.

An owner who seems content to let his kids ruin his team through benign neglect? Look no further.

All local connections, sure, but each of their impacts (except for the last guy) measures up to and beyond Steinbrenner's.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
I don't really get how Steinbrenner gets all this credit for "revolutionizing" free agency.  Kruk, that mope, said the same thing during the home run derby, something to the effect that player owe Steinbrenner thanks for making all this money.

Shit, if Marvin Miller wasn't smarter than Charles Finley, and certainly no other owner was, free agency today would be a boon for management.

In short, John Kruk can suck a bag of pickled corpse penis.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 19, 2010, 03:17:31 PM
I don't really get how Steinbrenner gets all this credit for "revolutionizing" free agency.  Kruk, that mope, said the same thing during the home run derby, something to the effect that player owe Steinbrenner thanks for making all this money.

Shit, if Marvin Miller wasn't smarter than Charles Finley, and certainly no other owner was, free agency today would be a boon for management.

What are the great moments in free agent history? Outside of the Reggie Jackson signing, what did Steinbrenner do that was noteworthy? Sign Ed Whitson? Jason Giambi? Fail to sign A-Rod?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
This thread title is still really, really shitty.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 19, 2010, 03:34:33 PM

What are the great moments in free agent history? Outside of the Reggie Jackson signing, what did Steinbrenner do that was noteworthy? Sign Ed Whitson? Jason Giambi? Fail to sign A-Rod?

Actually, the first noteworthy FA signing was Catfish Hunter. But Steinbrenner didn't innovate anything, he just outbid Ted Turner.

And John Kruk can eat his own rotten nut.
TIME TO POST!

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 19, 2010, 02:31:15 PM
An owner who did revolutionary stuff with TV? Look no further.

An owner who did revolutionary stuff with pay television?  Look no further.

An owner who was able to put his stamp on the 1970s by firing and releasing people at will? Look no further.

An owner not ashamed to buy a World Series? Look no further.

An owner who figured out Rent-A-Player? Look no further.

An owner who figured out how to make the team's brand go global? Look no further.

An owner who seems content to let his kids ruin his team through benign neglect? Look no further.

All local connections, sure, but each of their impacts (except for the last guy) measures up to and beyond Steinbrenner's.

GODDAMMIT JUST TELL ME WHAT HE DID THE LAST 10 YEARS THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS HELLO

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 19, 2010, 02:21:54 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 19, 2010, 01:36:29 PM

He didn't innovate there either. The whole team/network model was devised by Ted Turner.

That's a totally different model.
TBS was a failing station that he owned and he bought the Braves so that he'd have something to show on that piece of shit station. It was a desperation move (that, to his credit, worked out pretty well.)

Steinbrenner created a TV station so that he could have exclusive rights to broadcast something very profitable and then he could make all kinds of demands from the cable providers and keep all the profits and put them back into the team.

I'd type more, but this Big Stein dong hanging out of my mouth is getting in the way of my typing.

Edit: TBS may not have actually been a "piece of shit station" but the fact remains that he owned the station and then bought the team so that he'd have programming for the station, which is certainly not the YES Network model.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
short

Hey everyone, look who wrote "short".

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »
So Steinbrenner had more of an effect on his game's delivery than the game itself, via broadcast programming et.al.  I'd say in this instance, he shares a pantheon with Roone Arledge and Eddie Einhorn as opposed to Al Davis, who had a more direct effect on the competition of his game itself. 

The important thing is, you're still more wrong than a fleet-full of Chucks driving Yugos.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)