News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 57,572 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #435 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on November 07, 2013, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 07, 2013, 09:09:46 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 07, 2013, 09:01:38 AM
Quote from: Bort on November 07, 2013, 08:55:49 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 07, 2013, 08:12:50 AM
Rent Rickeria
Rick Brujeria
Diarrhea
Gonorrhea
Seborrhea
Pyorrhea

and so forth.

Rentstink Is Terrible

Dys-enteria

Hysteria

Rick Dysentheriot. I bet there is audio somewhere of Harry hilariously pronouncing Edgar Renteria's name in 1997.
Garbanzeria

Garbanztheirryofrelativelyinexperiencedmanagerialhires
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #436 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »

Renteroleg.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Switching to this thread for Maddon talk.  Really hoping this isn't a mere formality before he joins the Dodgers.  Maddon was the runner-up when Theo hired Francona in Boston, so I guess it's possible.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
DPD.  I'd tell him to name his price if I were Theo.  There aren't many difference makers you can put in that chair, but Maddon is one of the maybe two or three out there.  Here's this, for what it's worth:

Quote from: Buster Olney @Buster_ESPNMy guess on Joe Maddon: He eventually winds up with the Cubs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2014, 12:47:33 PM
DPD.  I'd tell him to name his price if I were Theo.  There aren't many difference makers you can put in that chair, but Maddon is one of the maybe two or three out there.  Here's this, for what it's worth:

Quote from: Buster Olney @Buster_ESPNMy guess on Joe Maddon: He eventually winds up with the Cubs.

TPD because I'm a Maddon geek. 

Quote from: Ken Rosenthal @Ken_RosenthalSource: Maddon NOT heading to #Dodgers.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
This right here is the acid test of Jepstink's commitment.

While Renteria became a much more conservative manager once Alacantra/Baez/Soler showed up, hiring Maddon and kicking Ricky upstairs would be a pretty large-scale improvement. It would also send a message that no matter who you are, if they can upgrade they're going to.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
There aren't many difference makers you can put in that chair, but Maddon is one of the maybe two or three out there. 

I'm not even sure he's that much of a difference-maker. Maybe a game or two over the course of a season, but every study has shown a manager's impact is negligible.

Not saying I wouldn't be a little excited if they got him (mostly because it'd be a pretty clear signal they want to win now), but I don't think there'd be a significant tangible difference over Renteria.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2014, 02:02:07 PM
There aren't many difference makers you can put in that chair, but Maddon is one of the maybe two or three out there. 

I'm not even sure he's that much of a difference-maker. Maybe a game or two over the course of a season, but every study has shown a manager's impact is negligible.

Not saying I wouldn't be a little excited if they got him (mostly because it'd be a pretty clear signal they want to win now), but I don't think there'd be a significant tangible difference over Renteria.

I think in the postseason the manager makes a much bigger impact.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on October 24, 2014, 01:55:17 PM
This right here is the acid test of Jepstink's commitment.

While Renteria became a much more conservative manager once Alacantra/Baez/Soler showed up, hiring Maddon and kicking Ricky upstairs would be a pretty large-scale improvement. It would also send a message that no matter who you are, if they can upgrade they're going to.

Ricketts' commitment moreso than JepStink. They may want him but may need Tom's okay to can Ricky.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Ok.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2014, 02:17:07 PM

Ok.

Did you have anything else to add?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on October 24, 2014, 02:07:36 PM

Just look at World Series Manager Butchie Yost.
TIME TO POST!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

What BH said. Also if you think Maddon is even SLIGHTLY better than Renteria, you should be in favor of this move. Every advantage counts and it's not my money.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2014, 02:31:22 PM

What BH said. Also if you think Maddon is even SLIGHTLY better than Renteria, you should be in favor of this move. Every advantage counts and it's not my money.

No, but it's Ricketts' money and he has a limited amount to spend on the team.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2014, 02:24:05 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2014, 02:17:07 PM

Ok.

Did you have anything else to add?

I figured I'd follow your lead.