News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 57,571 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2014, 02:43:07 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2014, 02:24:05 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2014, 02:17:07 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2014, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2014, 12:47:33 PM
There aren't many difference makers you can put in that chair, but Maddon is one of the maybe two or three out there. 

I'm not even sure he's that much of a difference-maker. Maybe a game or two over the course of a season, but every study has shown a manager's impact is negligible.

Not saying I wouldn't be a little excited if they got him (mostly because it'd be a pretty clear signal they want to win now), but I don't think there'd be a significant tangible difference over Renteria.

Ok.

Did you have anything else to add?

I figured I'd follow your lead.

I'm still unclear what you found objectionable in my post, but I apologize if I offended you somehow.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2014, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2014, 02:31:22 PM
Quote from: BH on October 24, 2014, 02:07:36 PM
There aren't many difference makers you can put in that chair, but Maddon is one of the maybe two or three out there. 

I'm not even sure he's that much of a difference-maker. Maybe a game or two over the course of a season, but every study has shown a manager's impact is negligible.

Not saying I wouldn't be a little excited if they got him (mostly because it'd be a pretty clear signal they want to win now), but I don't think there'd be a significant tangible difference over Renteria.

I think in the postseason the manager makes a much bigger impact.

What BH said. Also if you think Maddon is even SLIGHTLY better than Renteria, you should be in favor of this move. Every advantage counts and it's not my money.

No, but it's Ricketts' money and he has a limited amount to spend on the team.

The limit's increasing. #jumbotron

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

What BH said. Also if you think Maddon is even SLIGHTLY better than Renteria, you should be in favor of this move. Every advantage counts and it's not my money.

Yes it's a totally inexact science - but hasn't the cost of a win generally been estimated at around $6 M over the last few years? Let's say Theo & Jed think he's worth an additional win per year - signing Maddon for 5 years/$25 M may well be a better investment than signing a free agent projected to be worth a win per year for 5/$25. I would think managerial skills are much less subject to year-to-year performance variance or injury risk (other than Clint Hurdle's balky hip).

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2014, 03:04:25 PM
Yes it's a totally inexact science - but hasn't the cost of a win generally been estimated at around $6 M over the last few years? Let's say Theo & Jed think he's worth an additional win per year - signing Maddon for 5 years/$25 M may well be a better investment than signing a free agent projected to be worth a win per year for 5/$25. I would think managerial skills are much less subject to year-to-year performance variance or injury risk (other than Clint Hurdle's balky hip).

Totally possible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Based upon how many people have suddenly had their numbers come up for season tickets (myself included, just today - and at least one other Desipiot this fall), the Cubs seem to be interested in giving their revenue stream a big boost - get STHs in now, then see how many hang in there while ticket prices skyrocket once the team gets good.

EDIT: They still don't have a TV contract for next season, do they?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on October 24, 2014, 03:13:36 PM

Based upon how many people have suddenly had their numbers come up for season tickets (myself included, just today - and at least one other Desipiot this fall), the Cubs seem to be interested in giving their revenue stream a big boost - get STHs in now, then see how many hang in there while ticket prices skyrocket once the team gets good.

They do not- they are hoping to have it wrapped up by December.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: thehawk on October 24, 2014, 04:20:12 PM
Quote from: Fork on October 24, 2014, 03:13:36 PM

They do not- they are hoping to have it wrapped up by December.

So this will give them another nice revenue bump until both this contract and the Comcast one expire in 5 years, when they launch CubsNet or whatever they decide to call it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
(IF the Cubs get Maddon): I wish I knew more about Smilin' Rick to say, but I wonder if he'd like a chance to work with Joe Maddon and could be talked into being his bench coach or a special assistant to Jed or Theo or something.  That way he'd still be around to work with guys like Castro, Soler, Baez, but they could also still hire Joe.  Renteria would be completely within his rights to say screw you guys and take the money, but I wonder if he'd have any interest in staying.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Can we talk about the idea of Ozzie Guillen on the Cubs' staff?

I kind of love it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on October 27, 2014, 09:43:14 AM

I kind of love it.

I don't really hate Ozzie.

Objectively, as a manager, I kept thinking he was a gritty flat-earther but regardless of how I felt about his style, his teams seemed to consistently outperform their projections.  And though it's not really a quantifiable asset, it seemed he did a good job of deflecting attention away from his players when the going go rough.  Marc Trestman's mealy-mouthed weenie-ism in the face of everything going to shit is making me long for such insanity.

All that said, I don't know how any of this would pertain to his role as a possible bench coach.  For entertainment purposes, though, sure--why not?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on October 27, 2014, 09:52:33 AM

I kind of love it.

Objectively, as a manager, I kept thinking he was a gritty flat-earther but regardless of how I felt about his style, his teams seemed to consistently outperform their projections.  And though it's not really a quantifiable asset, it seemed he did a good job of deflecting attention away from his players when the going go rough.  Marc Trestman's mealy-mouthed weenie-ism in the face of everything going to shit is making me long for such insanity.

All that said, I don't know how any of this would pertain to his role as a possible bench coach.  For entertainment purposes, though, sure--why not?

I don't know what actual good can come out of it but the possible harm that he could cause by getting behind a microphone on air for any amount of time would seem to outweigh any benefit. Why invite that on purpose?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on October 27, 2014, 10:03:32 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 27, 2014, 09:52:33 AM

I kind of love it.

I don't know what actual good can come out of it but the possible harm that he could cause by getting behind a microphone on air for any amount of time would seem to outweigh any benefit. Why invite that on purpose?

I enjoy the idea of Sox fans getting physically sick every time they see him in that uniform.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Slak just beat me to the punch.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Yeah, I don't give enough of a shit about the White Sox to care what their fans think about the Cubs bench coach. I'm not saying it's a horrible move. It's just that there is considerable risk and the media would be all over it trying to pry something out of Ozzie as soon as the team hits a rough patch. That would fire up the meatballs you're hoping to see in physical agony. I'm out on Ozzie.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on October 27, 2014, 10:44:27 AM
Yeah, I don't give enough of a shit about the White Sox to care what their fans think about the Cubs bench coach. I'm not saying it's a horrible move. It's just that there is considerable risk and the media would be all over it trying to pry something out of Ozzie as soon as the team hits a rough patch. That would fire up the meatballs you're hoping to see in physical agony. I'm out on Ozzie.