News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Mad Men - New Season  ( 40,807 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Mad Men - New Season
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2014, 01:59:40 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 14, 2014, 12:51:03 PM
So Don is DB Cooper now? Is that the word? I might want to watch this show if that's the case.

That connection had never occurred to me, but I see now via some googling that there's been a crazy "theory" to that effect floating out there since last season.

That would certainly be... something.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
And by "something" I guess I mean "fun to think about for a moment, but ultimately as unlikely as it would be disappointing."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
And, honestly, what's the deal with people having "theories" about Mad Men in the first place? This isn't Lost. What the hell do people expect to "figure out"?

Fucking internet.

/TPD

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 14, 2014, 03:15:30 PM
And, honestly, what's the deal with people having "theories" about Mad Men in the first place? This isn't Lost. What the hell do people expect to "figure out"?

Fucking internet.

/TPD

Christ, I am so sick of the idea that a show is a puzzle to be unlocked. Admittedly, the Sopranos finale was something you had to think about, but since when has Weiner been the creator of shows with long-running secret, arcane symbolism?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
Quote from: Bort on April 14, 2014, 05:12:08 PM

Fucking internet.

/TPD

Christ, I am so sick of the idea that a show is a puzzle to be unlocked. Admittedly, the Sopranos finale was something you had to think about, but since when has Weiner been the creator of shows with long-running secret, arcane symbolism?

The worst thing DB Cooper ever did was disappear forever, allowing his story to be hijacked by every lazy, two-bit hack writer ever.  Not counting Weiner among them, but I wonder if Cooper had any idea that by leaping out of that plane he was falling into eternal McGuffinhood.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

Fucking internet.

/TPD

Harry Potter and Lost have ruined fans' perspectives on almost all forms of entertainment.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 15, 2014, 11:28:52 AM

Fucking internet.

/TPD

Harry Potter and Lost have ruined fans' perspectives on almost all forms of entertainment.

And if anyone would know about ruining perspective ...

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
She has plans, look at her calendar: "February 14th, Masturbate gloomily."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »
Roger Sterling flipping the switch in the partners meeting.

The man can still business with the best of them.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »
"Lou is adequate!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 27, 2014, 10:08:46 PM
Roger Sterling flipping the switch in the partners meeting.

The man can still business with the best of them.

His hatred for Cutler brought out the best in him. And it looks like Don will be working for a living, something he hasn't done in years. I can't wait to see if he can adapt just because he has to, or if he really has anything left in the tank.

I had to fast-forward all the Betty scenes due to the late hour (after Rockets/Blazers OT) and a lack of fucks given. What's her deal? She doesn't have a purpose in life, her kids hate her and her husband treats her like a child?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 28, 2014, 08:52:48 AM
His hatred for Cutler brought out the best in him. And it looks like Don will be working for a living, something he hasn't done in years. I can't wait to see if he can adapt just because he has to, or if he really has anything left in the tank.

It'll be interesting to see him navigate that trap. Could have taken a buyout, or that other job offer. Or just refused and continued drawing a salary for doing nothing. But clearly Don needs that firm. So, instead, he'll be walking on eggshells and risking it all™ while reporting to a guy they've done a great job of setting up as a miserable, uncreative, perfectly adequate, anti-social asshole.

I had to fast-forward all the Betty scenes due to the late hour (after Rockets/Blazers OT) and a lack of fucks given. What's her deal? She doesn't have a purpose in life, her kids hate her and her husband treats her like a child?

Betty's still the worst. She let what could have been a perfect day with an apparently adoring kid be "ruined" by that kid doing a dumb thing that kids do (he wanted some candy). And managed to conclude from it that her kids hate her. The main point seemed to be that she's a self-pitying headcase who knows how to hold a bitter grudge against her own kids. Which is nothing terribly new.

There was an odd jump cut during all of that, though, where Don throws an envelope down on the table and it cuts to Bobby throwing down a picnic blanket at the farm. Is there supposed to be some sort of parallel drawn between Don and Bobby?

Or is that just Mad Men doing its Mad Men thing, where empty, meaningless moments are made to seem vaguely pregnant with drama (with FILMMAKING!) but never actually resolve to anything whatsoever?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: April 28, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 28, 2014, 11:11:38 AM

It'll be interesting to see him navigate that trap. Could have taken a buyout, or that other job offer. Or just refused and continued drawing a salary for doing nothing. But clearly Don needs that firm. So, instead, he'll be walking on eggshells and risking it all™ while reporting to a guy they've done a great job of setting up as a miserable, uncreative, perfectly adequate, anti-social asshole.

When Ms. Hawk and I saw that we were both yelling at the screeen for him to not take that deal.  While I'm hoping that Don is getting going to get back his mojo, I get the feeling that the show is turning him back into Dick Whitman (a schulb out of touch and out of his time).

Either way, tough week for Jon Hamm

Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 28, 2014, 11:11:38 AM

Betty's still the worst. She let what could have been a perfect day with an apparently adoring kid be "ruined" by that kid doing a dumb thing that kids do (he wanted some candy). And managed to conclude from it that her kids hate her. The main point seemed to be that she's a self-pitying headcase who knows how to hold a bitter grudge against her own kids. Which is nothing terribly new.

There was an odd jump cut during all of that, though, where Don throws an envelope down on the table and it cuts to Bobby throwing down a picnic blanket at the farm. Is there supposed to be some sort of parallel drawn between Don and Bobby?

Or is that just Mad Men doing its Mad Men thing, where empty, meaningless moments are made to seem vaguely pregnant with drama (with FILMMAKING!) but never actually resolve to anything whatsoever?

I should have watched those scenes. It's well-traveled territory that Don's personal problems stem largely from the treatment he received from his step-mother. Those scenes probably suggest that Betty is getting closer to being like the woman who sparked his misogyny in the beginning. And we look at that and say, "Betty is the worst." But we know she's not. Don's mom was the worst. And Don did nothing but shit all over Betty so if she had any hope of not being the worst it didn't come from him. What will happen to Bobby and Gene? Will they end up like Don? Sort of, I bet.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
"Do the work, Don."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?