News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fine Liquor  ( 80,836 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fine Liquor
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 14, 2010, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2010, 10:44:44 AM
How do you guys drink your single malt? Neat? With a little water?

Or maybe on the rocks?

I'm with Slak - more often than not, a drop or two of room-temperature water opens up a good malt.  It's really a question of taste, but having said that, if you're drinking cask-strength malt (55-60% ABV) you'd be an idiot not to spread it out a little.  Never ice, though - for the same reasons as you never shake a martini.  It just dilutes the booze too much.

As for cooking whisky, you can do to that what you will.

Thank you sir....no offense to anyone else, but this is the response I was waiting for.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2010, 03:37:03 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 09:59:53 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

I'm with Slak - more often than not, a drop or two of room-temperature water opens up a good malt.  It's really a question of taste, but having said that, if you're drinking cask-strength malt (55-60% ABV) you'd be an idiot not to spread it out a little.  Never ice, though - for the same reasons as you never shake a martini.  It just dilutes the booze too much.

Thought I was in way over my head in this thread. That said, you ever had the Nectar d'Or? My father in law brought it to me from Scotland, not that you can't get it in the states. Pretty tasty.

I haven't, Slak - in fact, I'd never even heard of it.  I've just looked it up, though, and now I'm hard for it.   Glenmorangie (little tip for you statesiders : it's pronounced Glen-MORR-un-gie) with a Sauternes finish?  I'm in.

It's not a huge leap from finishing with a port, madeira or sherry cask to finishing with a dessert wine cask, so I can't believe that nobody's thought of it before.  What a fucking good idea.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2010, 06:33:12 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 15, 2010, 03:37:03 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 09:59:53 AM

Or maybe on the rocks?

Thought I was in way over my head in this thread. That said, you ever had the Nectar d'Or? My father in law brought it to me from Scotland, not that you can't get it in the states. Pretty tasty.

I haven't, Slak - in fact, I'd never even heard of it.  I've just looked it up, though, and now I'm hard for it.   Glenmorangie (little tip for you statesiders : it's pronounced Glen-MORR-un-gie) with a Sauternes finish?  I'm in.

It's not a huge leap from finishing with a port, madeira or sherry cask to finishing with a dessert wine cask, so I can't believe that nobody's thought of it before.  What a fucking good idea.

Be interested to know what you think.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
I went ahead and gave this a shot. It only cost me 22 dollars and Glenfidditch or Glenlivet or any of your run of the mill quality single malts is usually at least 45 a bottle, so I didn't have all of that high of expectations considering. I was pleasantly surprised. I got the Islay and it had a nice, earthy taste to it. Smooth but hearty. I added only a few drops of water (thank ye' all) and it made for a very pleasant evening on a budget. Certainly better than spending the same amount of money on a bottle of Jameson or any of the other stock brands that I tend to rely on until I'm out of school and more gainfully employed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
Since I like my spirits like I like my women, clear and flavorless, I don't know shit abut whiskey.  But, perhaps you brown liquor snobs may enjoy this.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »
November, in my mind, is Bourbon Month:

Mmmmm. Turkey and bourbon. Why Jesus invented Thanksgiving as America's sacred holiday.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2010, 08:44:47 AM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

theoneandonlyjim

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Anyone checked out/ordered from this place? My dad and I picked some bourbon samples to try over New Year's.  Shipping is all screwed up in the UK, though, and it could take a while to get here.
Too many late nights raising hell worked a little all too well...

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »
Quote from: theoneandonlyjim on December 10, 2010, 02:08:00 PM
Anyone checked out/ordered from this place? My dad and I picked some bourbon samples to try over New Year's.  Shipping is all screwed up in the UK, though, and it could take a while to get here.

Are you trying to bankrupt me, you limey bastard?

Off I go to buy a bottle of Clynelish for a mate...   The cheaper stuff, not this nectar of the Gods.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 24, 2010, 02:57:15 PM
I went ahead and gave this a shot. It only cost me 22 dollars and Glenfidditch or Glenlivet or any of your run of the mill quality single malts is usually at least 45 a bottle, so I didn't have all of that high of expectations considering. I was pleasantly surprised. I got the Islay and it had a nice, earthy taste to it. Smooth but hearty. I added only a few drops of water (thank ye' all) and it made for a very pleasant evening on a budget. Certainly better than spending the same amount of money on a bottle of Jameson or any of the other stock brands that I tend to rely on until I'm out of school and more gainfully employed.

$22 was about two weeks' worth of drinking for me in college. A couple of cases if $4.99/case Old Milwaukee returnables and a few $2-for-a-cup parties (also likely Old Mil, possibly Milwaukee's Best).

Kudos to you for not having to drink copious amounts of shitty beer.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on December 10, 2010, 06:39:39 PM

$22 was about two weeks' worth of drinking for me in college. A couple of cases if $4.99/case Old Milwaukee returnables and a few $2-for-a-cup parties (also likely Old Mil, possibly Milwaukee's Best).

Kudos to you for not having to drink copious amounts of shitty beer.

We drank this.

$4.99 for a case of 16oz. returnables. Christ, what swill.

It's remarkable that I have any digestive system left.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen