News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  ( 15,439 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Fallout: New Vegas
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
Who is getting this one? I've been venturing back through Fallout 3 cleaning up some achievements, finding all the locations, bobbleheads, etc. I'm pretty geared up about this one. The visuals in F3 were pretty awesome, and I'm expecting more of the same, especially since Vegas hasn't been struck with nukes and isn't completely fucked up.

I know they have done some changes on VATS for melee weapons. For example, if hitting someone with a 9-iron using VATS, you'll get a special option for a "Fore" hit, which will be a unique animation. Could be fun, but I rarely melee'd, so I may not see it at all.

Upgradeable guns will be nice, instead of just repairing a weapon over and over. There is a Hardcore mode that will be cool, but I'm a pussy so I won't do it probably. Some of the features in that are:

Quote# Healing over time rather than instant healing.
# Healing of crippled limbs requires a high medicine skill and medical equipment.
# Ammunition has weight.
# Currency has weight
# Requirement of water consumption to avoid dehydration and eventual death.
# Requirement of food consumption and sleeping to avoid starvation and sleep deprivation.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 08, 2010, 03:13:09 PM
Who is getting this one? I've been venturing back through Fallout 3 cleaning up some achievements, finding all the locations, bobbleheads, etc. I'm pretty geared up about this one. The visuals in F3 were pretty awesome, and I'm expecting more of the same, especially since Vegas hasn't been struck with nukes and isn't completely fucked up.

I know they have done some changes on VATS for melee weapons. For example, if hitting someone with a 9-iron using VATS, you'll get a special option for a "Fore" hit, which will be a unique animation. Could be fun, but I rarely melee'd, so I may not see it at all.

Upgradeable guns will be nice, instead of just repairing a weapon over and over. There is a Hardcore mode that will be cool, but I'm a pussy so I won't do it probably. Some of the features in that are:

Quote# Healing over time rather than instant healing.
# Healing of crippled limbs requires a high medicine skill and medical equipment.
# Ammunition has weight.
# Currency has weight
# Requirement of water consumption to avoid dehydration and eventual death.
# Requirement of food consumption and sleeping to avoid starvation and sleep deprivation.

You fucking nerd.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
Just get Black Ops and be happy.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
This is an easy Day 1 purchase for me.  Leave the second guessing to the junk-shavers and head for the wastes my man.  Most anticipated release this year.
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
I'm definitely getting it.  Maybe not right at release, but at some point.  Like Yeti, I'm planning on going back and finally finishing Fallout 3.  It's a terrific game, but I'm just so overwhelmed by those ridiculously-open-world games that I have a hard time finishing them.  I might wait to pick up all of them, but my must-haves before the end of the year are Fallout: New Vegas, Rock Band 3, Fable III, Dead Rising 2, and the Telltale Back to the Future games.

Next year is all about Portal 2 and Deus Ex.  I have high hopes for both of them.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »
Quote from: Simmer on September 08, 2010, 06:26:04 PM
This is an easy Day 1 purchase for me.  Leave the second guessing to the junk-shavers and head for the wastes my man.  Most anticipated release this year.

Already pre-ordered this one. Fallout 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. This should be better.

And Yeti, you've never done much melee and neither have I - but I do think that the greatest Fallout 3 video is a melee video. Peep this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQ0_9-DOtQ&feature=related

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 08, 2010, 09:14:15 PM
Quote from: Simmer on September 08, 2010, 06:26:04 PM
This is an easy Day 1 purchase for me.  Leave the second guessing to the junk-shavers and head for the wastes my man.  Most anticipated release this year.

Already pre-ordered this one. Fallout 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. This should be better.

And Yeti, you've never done much melee and neither have I - but I do think that the greatest Fallout 3 video is a melee video. Peep this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQ0_9-DOtQ&feature=related

I watched that whole thing and laughed at practically every kill.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:20 PM »
Finished Fallout 3 yesterday.  Bad ass.  Liberty Prime was hysterical.  I'm laughably unobservant when it comes to video games, but was I the only one who didn't even notice Liberty Prime until the very end of the game?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 12, 2010, 11:44:20 PM
Finished Fallout 3 yesterday.  Bad ass.  Liberty Prime was hysterical.  I'm laughably unobservant when it comes to video games, but was I the only one who didn't even notice Liberty Prime until the very end of the game?

I think I did. Could you see him from outside the Brotherhood HQ? I never saw him from outside, but noticed him while walking around inside the lab. I think I only have one mission from the main part of the game left, and that's Strictly Business, in which I need to enslave people, but because I have morals when I play the game, I'm going to elect to kill the slavers at Point Pleasant (or whatever the town is). From there, I'm basically 99% complete. Maybe find a few more bobbleheads, and I'll be happy

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 14, 2010, 10:55:18 AM

I think I did. Could you see him from outside the Brotherhood HQ? I never saw him from outside, but noticed him while walking around inside the lab. I think I only have one mission from the main part of the game left, and that's Strictly Business, in which I need to enslave people, but because I have morals when I play the game, I'm going to elect to kill the slavers at Point Pleasant (or whatever the town is). From there, I'm basically 99% complete. Maybe find a few more bobbleheads, and I'll be happy

I went into Paradise Falls guns blazing and fucking leveled that town. It was one of the better moments of my campaign.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 11:17:33 AM

I went into Paradise Falls guns blazing and fucking leveled that town. It was one of the better moments of my campaign.

Sounds like I have a good task for tonight. I should take the Experiment MIRV I got and do it. If anyone doesn't have it, it shoots 8 mini-nukes in a spread fashion

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 14, 2010, 11:47:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 11:17:33 AM

Sounds like I have a good task for tonight. I should take the Experiment MIRV I got and do it. If anyone doesn't have it, it shoots 8 mini-nukes in a spread fashion

I know there are more strategic ways to do but I tried talking sense into the guard and he was a real cocky, disagreeable sort. I had just obtained a Gauss Rifle and was itching to use it. The resulting carnage was fantastic to see. Have fun - it's a blast.

Side note: I'm extremely jealous and impressed you found and built the MIRV.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »

Save the game right before Point Pleasant, do the slave missions for the achievement, and then reload your saved game and fuck those dudes up.  That's what I did.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 14, 2010, 12:25:07 PM

Save the game right before Point Pleasant, do the slave missions for the achievement, and then reload your saved game and fuck those dudes up.  That's what I did.

I should have done more of this. What killed me was that when I reached the point where Liberty Prime was going to lead myself and the Brotherhood to the doorstep of victory he wouldn't fucking move from the base of the bridge. He'd just stand there. Turns out it was a bug based on one of the knights being killed in an earlier mission or some such shit.

As it were, I reloaded a previous save and yet somehow lost all the sweet loot I had up to that point and had to redo a lot of stuff. Didn't nearly get as granular as I had the first go-round and so it was sort of buzzkill.

Still, I think Fallout 3 has been my favorite non-sports game to date.

Kermit IV

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 12:44:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 14, 2010, 12:25:07 PM

I should have done more of this. What killed me was that when I reached the point where Liberty Prime was going to lead myself and the Brotherhood to the doorstep of victory he wouldn't fucking move from the base of the bridge. He'd just stand there. Turns out it was a bug based on one of the knights being killed in an earlier mission or some such shit.

As it were, I reloaded a previous save and yet somehow lost all the sweet loot I had up to that point and had to redo a lot of stuff. Didn't nearly get as granular as I had the first go-round and so it was sort of buzzkill.

Still, I think Fallout 3 has been my favorite non-sports game to date.

For some reason, I can restart a game from the beginning and enjoy it on another playthrough, but I absolutely HATE replaying parts I've already done in the same saved game.