News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  ( 15,437 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 14, 2010, 02:00:18 PM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 12:44:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 14, 2010, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: Yeti on September 14, 2010, 10:55:18 AM
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 12, 2010, 11:44:20 PM
Finished Fallout 3 yesterday.  Bad ass.  Liberty Prime was hysterical.  I'm laughably unobservant when it comes to video games, but was I the only one who didn't even notice Liberty Prime until the very end of the game?

I think I did. Could you see him from outside the Brotherhood HQ? I never saw him from outside, but noticed him while walking around inside the lab. I think I only have one mission from the main part of the game left, and that's Strictly Business, in which I need to enslave people, but because I have morals when I play the game, I'm going to elect to kill the slavers at Point Pleasant (or whatever the town is). From there, I'm basically 99% complete. Maybe find a few more bobbleheads, and I'll be happy

Save the game right before Point Pleasant, do the slave missions for the achievement, and then reload your saved game and fuck those dudes up.  That's what I did.

I should have done more of this. What killed me was that when I reached the point where Liberty Prime was going to lead myself and the Brotherhood to the doorstep of victory he wouldn't fucking move from the base of the bridge. He'd just stand there. Turns out it was a bug based on one of the knights being killed in an earlier mission or some such shit.

As it were, I reloaded a previous save and yet somehow lost all the sweet loot I had up to that point and had to redo a lot of stuff. Didn't nearly get as granular as I had the first go-round and so it was sort of buzzkill.

Still, I think Fallout 3 has been my favorite non-sports game to date.

For some reason, I can restart a game from the beginning and enjoy it on another playthrough, but I absolutely HATE replaying parts I've already done in the same saved game.

This is true for me as well.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 14, 2010, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 14, 2010, 02:00:18 PM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 12:44:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 14, 2010, 12:25:07 PM
Finished Fallout 3 yesterday.  Bad ass.  Liberty Prime was hysterical.  I'm laughably unobservant when it comes to video games, but was I the only one who didn't even notice Liberty Prime until the very end of the game?

I think I did. Could you see him from outside the Brotherhood HQ? I never saw him from outside, but noticed him while walking around inside the lab. I think I only have one mission from the main part of the game left, and that's Strictly Business, in which I need to enslave people, but because I have morals when I play the game, I'm going to elect to kill the slavers at Point Pleasant (or whatever the town is). From there, I'm basically 99% complete. Maybe find a few more bobbleheads, and I'll be happy

Save the game right before Point Pleasant, do the slave missions for the achievement, and then reload your saved game and fuck those dudes up.  That's what I did.

I should have done more of this. What killed me was that when I reached the point where Liberty Prime was going to lead myself and the Brotherhood to the doorstep of victory he wouldn't fucking move from the base of the bridge. He'd just stand there. Turns out it was a bug based on one of the knights being killed in an earlier mission or some such shit.

As it were, I reloaded a previous save and yet somehow lost all the sweet loot I had up to that point and had to redo a lot of stuff. Didn't nearly get as granular as I had the first go-round and so it was sort of buzzkill.

Still, I think Fallout 3 has been my favorite non-sports game to date.

For some reason, I can restart a game from the beginning and enjoy it on another playthrough, but I absolutely HATE replaying parts I've already done in the same saved game.

This is true for me as well.

Agreed. I think it's because each Wanderer you start with goes through each experience for the first time and each one adds up to make him what he is. So doing it again with the same dude sucks. It'd be like taking the same math class twice. Blech.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 11:57:53 AM
Quote from: Yeti on September 14, 2010, 11:47:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 11:17:33 AM

I went into Paradise Falls guns blazing and fucking leveled that town. It was one of the better moments of my campaign.

Sounds like I have a good task for tonight. I should take the Experiment MIRV I got and do it. If anyone doesn't have it, it shoots 8 mini-nukes in a spread fashion

I know there are more strategic ways to do but I tried talking sense into the guard and he was a real cocky, disagreeable sort. I had just obtained a Gauss Rifle and was itching to use it. The resulting carnage was fantastic to see. Have fun - it's a blast.

Side note: I'm extremely jealous and impressed you found and built the MIRV.

Yea, I spent a lot of time working on things, finding everything I possibly could. Due to finding so many skill books and buying the Brotherhood of Steel upgrade (increased the cap to 30 levels), I have most of my skill points at 100 (Sneak, melee, speech are some that I remember slighting). I've found a shitload of stuff. The locker at my house has probably 1000 pounds (or WG) of shit in there. I can only sell so much to Moira (I think I have over 10,000 caps, maybe).

This is my second playthrough. On the first, I inadvertently beat the game without knowing it was the end. I also wasn't as smart with upgrading at each level because I was unaware of the original 20 level cap. Then, the thing that made me start over is that I was reading about The Pitt upgrade when I bought it and someone online said they were able to drop all their weapons right outside of the gate and then had them after they got in there. I tried it (didn't save before either) and when I got in there, they were all gone. So, I started a new playthrough. This one has been much much more fun.

And as far as saving before Paradise Falls (sorry for getting the name wrong), I don't have the mesmetron anymore. I need to find a new one, first. And if I enslave anyone, it'll probably be the guy from Big Town, since I can fuck that town up

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:18 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 14, 2010, 03:10:05 PM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 11:57:53 AM
Quote from: Yeti on September 14, 2010, 11:47:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 14, 2010, 11:17:33 AM

I went into Paradise Falls guns blazing and fucking leveled that town. It was one of the better moments of my campaign.

Sounds like I have a good task for tonight. I should take the Experiment MIRV I got and do it. If anyone doesn't have it, it shoots 8 mini-nukes in a spread fashion

I know there are more strategic ways to do but I tried talking sense into the guard and he was a real cocky, disagreeable sort. I had just obtained a Gauss Rifle and was itching to use it. The resulting carnage was fantastic to see. Have fun - it's a blast.

Side note: I'm extremely jealous and impressed you found and built the MIRV.

Yea, I spent a lot of time working on things, finding everything I possibly could. Due to finding so many skill books and buying the Brotherhood of Steel upgrade (increased the cap to 30 levels), I have most of my skill points at 100 (Sneak, melee, speech are some that I remember slighting). I've found a shitload of stuff. The locker at my house has probably 1000 pounds (or WG) of shit in there. I can only sell so much to Moira (I think I have over 10,000 caps, maybe).

This is my second playthrough. On the first, I inadvertently beat the game without knowing it was the end. I also wasn't as smart with upgrading at each level because I was unaware of the original 20 level cap. Then, the thing that made me start over is that I was reading about The Pitt upgrade when I bought it and someone online said they were able to drop all their weapons right outside of the gate and then had them after they got in there. I tried it (didn't save before either) and when I got in there, they were all gone. So, I started a new playthrough. This one has been much much more fun.

And as far as saving before Paradise Falls (sorry for getting the name wrong), I don't have the mesmetron anymore. I need to find a new one, first. And if I enslave anyone, it'll probably be the guy from Big Town, since I can fuck that town up

The Big Town/Little Town (what was it called?) shit was creepy. Those kids were dicks.

Anyway, I only got the Op Anchorage and Brotherhood packs because I read the rest were buggy and stupid. The Op Anchorage one was a blast. Felt like COD but still Fallout. Plus the stealth Chinese armor became my outfit of choice the rest of the game. Fucking bad ass.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
The first developer's diary is awesome.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on September 18, 2010, 03:10:39 PM

Sounds excellent and really open with the stories. The best part of F3 was the open endedness and how everything you did affected the entire game. I really love the main world story though about the war with the Chinese and all the lore that goes with it. I remember reading everything I could find on the web about the Enclave and Annexation of Canada, etc. I love dystopian stuff so this game appeals to that part of me in a big way.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:28 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 19, 2010, 10:48:03 AM

Sounds excellent and really open with the stories. The best part of F3 was the open endedness and how everything you did affected the entire game. I really love the main world story though about the war with the Chinese and all the lore that goes with it. I remember reading everything I could find on the web about the Enclave and Annexation of Canada, etc. I love dystopian stuff so this game appeals to that part of me in a big way.

You appeal to my big parts in a big way, too.

Um, so should I get this Fallout 3 game?  If I did, it would be my first Fallout and I don't really care for monsters and ray guns, but I do like open worlds, interesting set pieces and good stories.  Is New Vegas the next Fallout or just a DLC offering?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on September 21, 2010, 09:25:28 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 19, 2010, 10:48:03 AM

You appeal to my big parts in a big way, too.

Um, so should I get this Fallout 3 game?  If I did, it would be my first Fallout and I don't really care for monsters and ray guns, but I do like open worlds, interesting set pieces and good stories.  Is New Vegas the next Fallout or just a DLC offering?

It's not Fallout 4 (which I believe is actually being made) but it's a totally separate game that takes place in the Fallout universe on the other side of the country. Different factions, different character, you don't start out in a Vault, blah blah. It's not a sequel and it's not an add on. It's a totally new, separate game.

I don't like non-sports games for the most part so it's rare that I find games like this so enjoyable. In fact, I had Fallout 3 for a long time and I started it then put it down for months before going back. Why? Well it was hard to do anything when you start out such a pussy. Fucking mole rats were kicking my ass. Not to mention the game was creeping me out on a regular basis. With the silence and the wandering and the gross mutated creatures that can come from nowhere I was cringing non-stop.

I remember fighting a couple of raiders on the bridge that headed into downtown DC. In the middle of this firefight a goddamn radscorpion creeped up on me. Yes, a big, man-sized scorpion that was trying to kill me as I was exchanging pot shots with a couple of punks dressed like Mad Max. You hear the claws but by then it's too late.

It's an awesome, awesome game and I think you should buy it. Get the GOTY edition.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
What's the advantage of the GOTY edition?

Also, to your point about not liking nonsports games, I get it.  I really only play military FPS games or sports games myself and the only other games not in those categories that I loved or even cared to play were Zelda's Ocarina of Time and GTA.  Those were legendary, so how does this compare?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on September 21, 2010, 12:31:00 PM
What's the advantage of the GOTY edition?

Also, to your point about not liking nonsports games, I get it.  I really only play military FPS games or sports games myself and the only other games not in those categories that I loved or even cared to play were Zelda's Ocarina of Time and GTA.  Those were legendary, so how does this compare?

I play GTA and will continue to do so. The thing I loved about Fallout was that things got more and more convoluted as you went along. The war got heavier. The Enclave started showing up in more and more places with their caged deathclaws. I loved how at first I had only read about deathclaws and had no idea what it would look like when I eventually stumbled across one. I had read that they hung out in packs in the town of Old Olney up north. I wouldn't dare go up there until I was damned good and ready. It's just all the shit you can do. You can be good and help people. You can be neutral. You can be completely evil and just fuck everyone up. You can nuke entire towns.

I don't know what else I can say about it. Did you watch the Fisto! video? You can become a melee kind of player. You can be a ranged weapons guy. You can be an expert in small arms. You can be a laser guy. You can find an alien weapon from a crashed alien ship out in the wastes. There's so much shit out there.

The Game of the Year edition has all of the add ons. The main ones are Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel. Broken Steel gives you the option to cap out at level 30 instead of level 20, more weapons and harder and new enemies. It also adds more missions after the standard game ends. Can't go wrong.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
Damn.  This sounds pretty legit.  You may have sold me.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
On the immensity of the game:

http://brutalgamer.com/2010/10/06/fallout-new-vegas-has-some-mindboggling-stats/

QuoteAccording to a blog post sent via PR earlier today, that deals with the creation of the Strategy Guide, there are some serious numbers at work in Fallout: New Vegas.  For instance there are over 200 primary locations in the game.  That figure is fine on it's own until you realise there are about another 200 secondary locations too.

Add to that in excess of 70 side quests and 90 free roam quests and you begin to appreciate the massive size and scope of Obsidian's take on the Fallout 3 universe.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
There's a 10 minute video floating around of New Vegas. I really don't want to see it as it's the intro and I find that to be fun to experience for myself. I can't believe people would want to watch the first ten minutes. Doesn't that ruin things just a bit? I'd like to see it first on my TV, not on my computer.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 18, 2010, 09:10:45 AM
There's a 10 minute video floating around of New Vegas. I really don't want to see it as it's the intro and I find that to be fun to experience for myself. I can't believe people would want to watch the first ten minutes. Doesn't that ruin things just a bit? I'd like to see it first on my TV, not on my computer.

I'm combing the fuck out of YouTube right now for any and all Black Ops videos.  It's fung.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 18, 2010, 09:10:45 AM

It wouldn't ruin it for me, but I won't go looking for it either. It comes out tomorrow. I can wait.