News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hunter S. Thompson  ( 21,683 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hunter S. Thompson
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
Can't seem to find a thread on him. Currently reading The Great Shark Hunt, a great collection of his articles from the 60s and 70s. It includes several articles about his favorite punching bag, Richard Milhouse Nixon. For my money it doesn't get much better than an extended Thompson rant about that rotten waterhead. Here's an excerpt just for you, Gil.

QuoteNixon's entire political career - and in fact his whole life - is a gloomy monument to the notion that not even pure schizophrenia or malignant psychosis can prevent a determined loser from rising to the top of the heap in this strange society we have built for ourselves in the name of "democracy" and "free enterprise." For most of his life, the mainspring of Richard Nixon's energy and ambition seems to have been a deep and unrecognized need to overcome, at all costs, that sense of having been born guilty - not for crimes or transgressions already committed, but for those he somehow sensed he was fated to commit as he grappled his way to the summit.

Looks like there are 3 more volumes of the Gonzo Papers - planning on reading all of them, but any one that's particularly good? Other Thompson favorites I should check out? I'm a moron, so the only other book of his I've read is Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
Hell's Angels is actually pretty damn good.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas his probably his best known book and definitely worth reading.

My favorite is The Curse of Lono.
It's full of great illustrations by Ralph Steadman.
The combination of Thompson and Steadman is very, very twisted.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 12, 2010, 10:14:01 AM
Can't seem to find a thread on him. Currently reading The Great Shark Hunt, a great collection of his articles from the 60s and 70s. It includes several articles about his favorite punching bag, Richard Milhouse Nixon. For my money it doesn't get much better than an extended Thompson rant about that rotten waterhead. Here's an excerpt just for you, Gil.

QuoteNixon's entire political career - and in fact his whole life - is a gloomy monument to the notion that not even pure schizophrenia or malignant psychosis can prevent a determined loser from rising to the top of the heap in this strange society we have built for ourselves in the name of "democracy" and "free enterprise." For most of his life, the mainspring of Richard Nixon's energy and ambition seems to have been a deep and unrecognized need to overcome, at all costs, that sense of having been born guilty - not for crimes or transgressions already committed, but for those he somehow sensed he was fated to commit as he grappled his way to the summit.

Looks like there are 3 more volumes of the Gonzo Papers - planning on reading all of them, but any one that's particularly good? Other Thompson favorites I should check out? I'm a moron, so the only other book of his I've read is Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail.

Meh.  I've heard worse.

Also, Nixon's health care plan was more liberal than Obama's.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 12, 2010, 10:14:01 AM

Start reading them all.  Some of it, as you may suspect, is haphazard and is just weird.  But a lot of it is a pretty rivetting look at society during whichever period he's writing in.  Generation of Swine, about the '80s, is cool as shit dick.

Also, check out Kingdom of Fear.

Hell, just read it all.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2010, 10:58:00 AMStart reading them all.  Some of it, as you may suspect, is haphazard and is just weird.

Remind me to give you my copy of the December 1961 Rogue magazine.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »
Intrepid Reader: Paul

Meh.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »
Great Shark Hunt is my favorite, Campaign Trail of '72 comes second. I think that era was the height of Thompson's power and relevance. I think he will always be important reading for anyone intersted in politcal and/or literary journalism. But at that time he was really out stomping on the terra, getting in where the action was and giving us a dose of his completely unique perspective. This is in sharp contrast to his later work, in which he was holed up in his compound at Woody Creek destroying his mind and body with drugs and drink and stewing in his own bitterness. Anything after 1980 is optional in my opinion, though I read all of it. Every single god damn word I could get my eyes on.

Don't sleep on The Proud Highway, collection of letters... fuck am I talking about? Has anybody reading this thread not read all of Thompson's books yet? Well, get crackin', dipshit.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:16:27 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 13, 2010, 07:57:47 AM
Great Shark Hunt is my favorite, Campaign Trail of '72 comes second. I think that era was the height of Thompson's power and relevance. I think he has and always will be important. But at that time he was really out stomping on the terra, getting in where the action was and giving us a dose of his completely unique perspective. This is in sharp contrast to his later work, in which he was holed up in his compound at Woody Creek destroying his mind and body with drugs and drink and stewing in his own bitterness. Anything after 1980 is optional in my opinion, though I read all of it. Every single god damn word I could get my eyes on.

Don't sleep on The Proud Highway, collection of letters... fuck am I talking about? Has anybody reading this thread not read all of Thompson's books yet? Well, get crackin', dipshit.

I've never read anything by him.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 13, 2010, 08:16:27 AM
Great Shark Hunt is my favorite, Campaign Trail of '72 comes second. I think that era was the height of Thompson's power and relevance. I think he has and always will be important. But at that time he was really out stomping on the terra, getting in where the action was and giving us a dose of his completely unique perspective. This is in sharp contrast to his later work, in which he was holed up in his compound at Woody Creek destroying his mind and body with drugs and drink and stewing in his own bitterness. Anything after 1980 is optional in my opinion, though I read all of it. Every single god damn word I could get my eyes on.

That's because all you ever read is that one Royko column about ketchup on hot dogs over and over and over...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:32 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 13, 2010, 08:54:10 AM

That's because all you ever read is that one Royko column about ketchup on hot dogs over and over and over...

Royko wrote multiple columns on that, man.  Multiple.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »

No mention of his work with OSI or SPHINX?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:36 AM »

This is the worst sentence you've ever written.  You are, literally, worse than Hitler.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »

That's just not smart. Because I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy the shit out of most of it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 09:43:28 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 13, 2010, 09:41:39 AM

That's just not smart. Because I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy the shit out of most of it.

I'm not in any danger though, am I?