News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord  ( 68,544 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New Vorpdonkey Overlord
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing SeanBearPig get a shot.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 17, 2010, 11:21:21 AM

Yeah, if they'd only give him an opportunity to start, I'm sure he'd pick it up and just run with it. Night Man, this is you best thread title yet. Keep up the something something.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 17, 2010, 10:31:36 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 17, 2010, 11:21:21 AM

Yeah, if they'd only give him an opportunity to start, I'm sure he'd pick it up and just run with it. Night Man, this is you best thread title yet. Keep up the something something.

Yea. If only they gave him 59 career starts to prove himself as a start.... oh wait. I love me some SeanBearPig, but I do hate the cries that he never gets a shot. He had it, and his splits as a reliever are much better than his as a starter. 143 innings isn't the world's greatest sample size but that's a full 2 years as a reliever. I think it gives us enough of an indication as to how he performs (same goes with his 311 starter innings, which is 2 short seasons, or 1.5-1.75 seasons).

One could point out his 3.92 ERA in 2007 as mainly a starter. He had a 4.62 FIP. He was kind of lucky. If the Cubs decide to put him in the rotation, I'll be fine with it. He's enticing hitters to swing at his pitches outside of the zone a little more, so maybe his curve has gotten better, but he has had a shot in the rotation once before. He's not getting screwed.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »
That giant curve of his makes batters miss the first time through the order. The second and third time through, it's less deceptive, natch. I have no stats to back this up, but I'll bet you they're out there. Keep him in the pen where he's extremely effective unless you literally have no other option.

Please don't mistake this for a SeanBearPig anti-boner. He's one of the best lefty relievers the Cubs have had in my lifetime and I love him for it.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »
DPD.

I actually played American Legion ball back in Foreskin in the mid-90s with a tall, lanky lefty pitcher named Les Deceptive./Dahnnaneah

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 19, 2010, 11:02:57 AM
That giant curve of his makes batters miss the first time through the order. The second and third time through, it's less deceptive, natch. I have no stats to back this up, but I'll bet you they're out there. Keep him in the pen where he's extremely effective unless you literally have no other option.

Please don't mistake this for a SeanBearPig anti-boner. He's one of the best lefty relievers the Cubs have had in my lifetime and I love him for it.

Here

I know increasing OPS' are common for pitchers. I'm not sure if the increase from 1st PA to 3rd PA for Marshall (.129) compares favorably to other pitchers or not.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 19, 2010, 11:06:30 AM

Here

I know increasing OPS' are common for pitchers. I'm not sure if the increase from 1st PA to 3rd PA for Marshall (.129) compares favorably to other pitchers or not.

Cliff Lee = .069
Cole Hamels = .134
Tom Gorzelanny = -.005

So the answer to teh question is clearly, "Maybe?"

Look at Yeti's link for the K/BB's though, which was my original point. I like him as a reliever and I think Cubs do too.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 19, 2010, 11:16:59 AM

Here

Cliff Lee = .069
Cole Hamels = .134
Tom Gorzelanny = -.005

He could be Cole Hamels. I'd be cool with that.

And with Gorzelanny's, I had to double check that number. I was about to say that was awesome, until I noticed his OPS of the first time around is .808

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 19, 2010, 11:20:44 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 19, 2010, 11:16:59 AM

Here

Cliff Lee = .069
Cole Hamels = .134
Tom Gorzelanny = -.005

He could be Cole Hamels. I'd be cool with that.

And with Gorzelanny's, I had to double check that number. I was about to say that was awesome, until I noticed his OPS of the first time around is .808

Garbonzo Beans = Consistent as dick.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 19, 2010, 11:17:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5703131

The next Cubs manager is  Mike Quade

You'll need to speak up a bit, apparently.

HEY!  EVERYBODY!  THE NEXT CUBS MANAGER IS MIKE QUADE!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 19, 2010, 11:24:36 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 19, 2010, 11:17:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5703131

The next Cubs manager is  Mike Quade

You'll need to speak up a bit, apparently.

HEY!  EVERYBODY!  THE NEXT CUBS MANAGER IS MIKE QUADE!

Yeah, this surprises no one.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »
ITT: Yeti and Apex talk about Sean Marshall's statistics.

Worst thread ever?