News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Walking Dead  ( 54,808 )

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 30, 2011, 08:33:15 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on November 30, 2011, 08:24:48 PM
When you boil the entire SOPHIA HUNT down to less than two minutes, it's still boring and shitty.

I'm on record as saying that this season has offered a lot of boring TV thanks to some regrettably shitty writing, but that's retarded.

Anything will be boring if you edit together two minutes of its most boring parts.

I don't really understand why they didn't include Rick blowing her unholy head off.  But I honestly think that was a highlight reel of that tedious hunt.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on November 30, 2011, 11:20:29 PM
When you boil the entire SOPHIA HUNT down to less than two minutes, it's still boring and shitty.

I'm on record as saying that this season has offered a lot of boring TV thanks to some regrettably shitty writing, but that's retarded.

Anything will be boring if you edit together two minutes of its most boring parts.

I don't really understand why they didn't include Rick blowing her unholy head off.  But I honestly think that was a highlight reel of that tedious hunt.

Really?

Missing from it: Carl getting shot by Otis. Daryl wasting a precious arrow on the zombie in the tree. Daryl hallucinating about Merle, shooting a zombie in the head with an arrow he'd just pulled through his own abdomen and making himself an ear necklace. Andrea shooting Daryl in the head. Andrea and Shane opening fire on a pack of suburban zombies and getting so hot they have to bump uglies in the Hyundai afterward. Zombie Sophia emerging from the zombie barn and Rick tapping her in her zombie skull.

Honestly, you could probably edit together 2 full minutes of just Daryl badassery from SOPHIA HUNT and it would probably come off as pretty decent. But it's beside the point.

Sophia was the MacGuffin: the reason for the group to stay around Greene Farm (and the reason for the injuries sustained while looking for her) but otherwise largely irrelevant.

I mean, how many minutes of screen time of this season's 5 hours 15 minutes have actually been devoted to looking for her? Not all that much outside of the first episode and "Chupacabra" (which were, incidentally, this season's best episodes). The search for Sophia is what has set the scene for everything else. And it's the everything else that has mostly sucked.

This season has sucked so far because of Lori's constant dramas.

It's sucked because of various characters' (Lori, Andrea, Dale) constant bitching and moaning.

It's sucked because, as hot as Maggie may be and as glad we all were to see her finally jump Glenn's bones, every single conversation between the two of them makes me want to stab myself in the brain.

It has sucked because the bulk of the many discussions about why anyone should even bother to go on living after the zombie apocalypse (arguably the theme underlying everything in these seven episodes) have been dull and uninspired thanks to a combination of singularly dull and uninspired dialogue and some shitty acting (I'm looking at you, Sarah Wayne Callies).
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 01, 2011, 10:24:53 AM

I don't really understand why they didn't include Rick blowing her unholy head off.  But I honestly think that was a highlight reel of that tedious hunt.

Really?

Missing from it: Carl getting shot by Otis. Daryl wasting a precious arrow on the zombie in the tree. Daryl hallucinating about Merle, shooting a zombie in the head with an arrow he'd just pulled through his own abdomen and making himself an ear necklace. Andrea shooting Daryl in the head. Andrea and Shane opening fire on a pack of suburban zombies and getting so hot they have to bump uglies in the Hyundai afterward. Zombie Sophia emerging from the zombie barn and Rick tapping her in her zombie skull.

Honestly, you could probably edit together 2 full minutes of just Daryl badassery from SOPHIA HUNT and it would probably come off as pretty decent. But it's beside the point.

Sophia was the MacGuffin: the reason for the group to stay around Greene Farm (and the reason for the injuries sustained while looking for her) but otherwise largely irrelevant.

I mean, how many minutes of screen time of this season's 5 hours 15 minutes have actually been devoted to looking for her? Not all that much outside of the first episode and "Chupacabra" (which were, incidentally, this season's best episodes). The search for Sophia is what has set the scene for everything else. And it's the everything else that has mostly sucked.

It's sucked because of various characters' (Lori, Andrea, Dale) constant bitching and moaning.

It's sucked because, as hot as Maggie may be and as glad we all were to see her finally jump Glenn's bones, every single conversation between the two of them makes me want to stab myself in the brain.

It has sucked because the bulk of the many discussions about why anyone should even bother to go on living after the zombie apocalypse (arguably the theme underlying everything in these seven episodes) have been dull and uninspired thanks to a combination of singularly dull and uninspired dialogue and some shitty acting (I'm looking at you, Sarah Wayne Callies).

That's one of the big things I keep getting angry about, meaning the constant discussions about the will to go on. I guess this is mostly because of my non-religious background but really, what the fuck else is there? You die, you're dead. That's it. Lori, the one who does a lot of the existential whining and opining, still has her husband and her son and possibly another child on the way assuming she doesn't down another coathanger cocktail out of angst again. You have everyone in your life that you care about and you're wondering if it's worth going on living? Fuck you bitch.

I really hope she gets eaten.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »
I never seen this show and I'm only nominally following this thread, but sure seems like a lot of discussion for a show that everyone thinks kind of sucks.

And yes, I'm new here.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 01, 2011, 10:37:32 AM

Really?

That's one of the big things I keep getting angry about, meaning the constant discussions about the will to go on. I guess this is mostly because of my non-religious background but really, what the fuck else is there? You die, you're dead. That's it. Lori, the one who does a lot of the existential whining and opining, still has her husband and her son and possibly another child on the way assuming she doesn't down another coathanger cocktail out of angst again. You have everyone in your life that you care about and you're wondering if it's worth going on living? Fuck you bitch.

I really hope she gets eaten.

The thing is, I think that sort of theme had potential. But for the shitty writing.

I keep coming back to this:

Quote from: R-V on November 21, 2011, 08:55:53 AM
The writing on this show is awful. If you've got writers of Mad Men or Breaking Bad quality you can have entire episodes of people sitting around with their thumbs up their asses and it'll still be entertaining, but that's not the case on this show.

And even as far as the writing goes, it's not the overarching story arc that I have a beef with so much as the dialogue driving it, which is thoroughly wooden and shallow.

That and Sarah Wayne Callies. Fucking Tancredi.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on December 01, 2011, 10:57:44 AM
I never seen this show and I'm only nominally following this thread, but sure seems like a lot of discussion for a show that everyone thinks kind of sucks.

And yes, I'm new here.

I'm starting to realize that it's almost more fun being fully engrossed in something that sucks because it's infinitely more fun to complain than it is to praise.

Kind of makes sense considering our choice (arguably not a choice) of baseball teams.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 01, 2011, 11:14:19 AM
I'm starting to realize that it's almost more fun being fully engrossed in something that sucks because it's infinitely more fun to complain than it is to praise.

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 01, 2011, 11:46:12 AM

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

This is the most self-aware thing you've ever posted.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on December 01, 2011, 11:53:54 AM

And... he stole it from Ratatouille.

(Edit: Which is not to suggest I thought Pen was unaware of this. It's a Pixar film, after all.)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 01, 2011, 11:59:49 AM
Quote from: PenPho on December 01, 2011, 11:53:54 AM

And... he stole it from Ratatouille.

Why not use it?  It was appropriate and good.  I think it's brilliant! What an idea! And I was there! He took the idea! He saw it ripe on the tree, he plucked it, and he put it in his pocket. It's, it's, dare I say... genius? Ah, no, no! But maybe, ooh! ah! maybe it is! Maybe I'm in the presence of greatness, maybe I just don't know it. But I saw it...

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »

Really?

Please allow me to wallow in my bitterness as well as celebrate the fact that I got this HateWGN rolling.

You are right, of course, about Daryl's involvement in SOPHIA HUNT.  That guy is far and away the most interesting part of this show, meaning they'll probably kill him off in February.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on December 02, 2011, 03:07:49 PM

Really?

Please allow me to wallow in my bitterness as well as celebrate the fact that I got this HateWGN rolling.

You are right, of course, about Daryl's involvement in SOPHIA HUNT.  That guy is far and away the most interesting part of this show, meaning they'll probably kill him off in February.

I don't like WGN either.

And Skinny Bitch should die first, but since she's preggers (and a principal cast member), it'll mean she's on the show until the bitter end.

God help them if they kill off Bohunk, however.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
That's one of the big things I keep getting angry about, meaning the constant discussions about the will to go on. I guess this is mostly because of my non-religious background but really, what the fuck else is there? You die, you're dead.

Suicides, how do they work?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 05, 2011, 08:49:15 PM
That's one of the big things I keep getting angry about, meaning the constant discussions about the will to go on. I guess this is mostly because of my non-religious background but really, what the fuck else is there? You die, you're dead.

Suicides, how do they work?

Right, but this woman is not suicidal - just whiny.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen