News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lights Out  ( 4,400 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Lights Out
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
So... Anyone watch a show about a boxer last night?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 12, 2011, 01:38:17 PM

Who the devil are you?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

Lights seems genuinely concerned about every member of his family. He'll do anything, within reason, for them. But he feels that he's a flawed person, a beaten, weakened person. And he's scared. His ego and his fear of failure won't allow him to have the conversations that he needs to have with people. His brother is the only one who truly knows what's going on with him. And his brother is a puzzling character. Is he a slacker and n'er-do-well? Or is he really trying but just as flawed and incompetent as his brother? He seems like he also cares deeply - maybe too much so - for every member of the family, but he is also limited in ability.

The wife is going to be able to keep things running smoothly once she becomes a physician. That's a ways off though. It seems like Lights needs to just keep the lights on (in the house, the gym, his own failing brain) long enough to get her through medical school. And then he can relax and turn into an amorphous blob of human goo - as is the fate of every prize-fighter Hollywood has ever created for our amusement.

Time is not on our hero's side here. I'm already hooked.

Aside: His dad told him to play it safe in the 12th round against Reynolds and he lost because he followed that strategy. Dad seemed terrified of the questions about the 12th. Lights refused to throw him under the bus. But that's what happened.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »

No, his story's seldom told.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 12, 2011, 02:08:01 PM

Lights seems genuinely concerned about every member of his family.

His interactions with his daughters were great.

I like this Holt McCallany.

"I understand... In death, a member of Project Mayhem has a name."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 12, 2011, 02:08:01 PM
The wife is going to be able to keep things running smoothly once she becomes a physician. That's a ways off though. It seems like Lights needs to just keep the lights on (in the house, the gym, his own failing brain) long enough to get her through medical school. And then he can relax and turn into an amorphous blob of human goo - as is the fate of every prize-fighter Hollywood has ever created for our amusement.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they hit a rough patch or two before they get to smooth sailing, if they ever make it.

Clearly his financial situation is his and his brother's little secret, her resident's salary of 30-diggity-grand isn't gonna pay for that private school, and she has zero interest in seeing him step back into the ring.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
TPD.

Apparently Melora Hardin (Jan from the Office, not to mention the Jennifer to Eric Stoltz's Marty McFly in the aborted pre-MJF Back to the Future shoot) was originally cast in the role of the wife for the pilot. She's been replaced by Braveheart's murdered bride.

Seemed worth noting.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

Televison is radio with a face.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
Episode two was pretty good. This guy is leaving clues all over the place that would/could/should result in his ruination.

The bloody iPod, the picture with the DA's stepson. The IRS all over him like stink on shit. The guy looks pretty hosed. I'm thinking he may swallow a gun before it's all said and done. This is similar to Breaking Bad in that you want the guy to be ok and everything to go away but he just digs and digs and digs... Guh.

I like the show.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
You guys still doing this? I'm hooked. The fight scenes are kind of lame. How anybody became champion of anything with their  hands constantly down by their waist only Rocky and Apollo know. But the rest of the show is pretty well done. Great acting by everybody.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 10, 2011, 12:31:51 PM
You guys still doing this? I'm hooked. The fight scenes are kind of lame. How anybody became champion of anything with their  hands constantly down by their waist only Rocky and Apollo know. But the rest of the show is pretty well done. Great acting by everybody.

I like it.

I mean, as far as FX shows go, it's no Justified or Terriers. And, plot-wise, it's been fairly predictable and cliche to this point. But I like the cast.

I'm sticking with it.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 05:45:19 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 24, 2011, 04:49:45 PM
Cancelled.  http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/03/fx-turns-the-lights-out-on-lights-out.html

Meh... I've soured on this one.

The cast is great for the most part, but I think the writing has been pretty weak.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 24, 2011, 05:45:19 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 24, 2011, 04:49:45 PM
Cancelled.  http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/03/fx-turns-the-lights-out-on-lights-out.html

Meh... I've soured on this one.

The cast is great for the most part, but I think the writing has been pretty weak.

Agreed. Eddie and his dad are the two best characters on the show and they should have both been on the show a lot more, working together, helping Lights. And a bunch of other retarded shit happened. And the Serenity Prayer by Brennan? What the fuck was that?

That said, I still watch every episode.