News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 194,888 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #840 on: December 12, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 12, 2014, 09:32:46 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 12, 2014, 09:23:12 AM
Can someone please explain what in the entire fuck I'm supposed to make of this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-spirrison/the-end-of-a-golden-era-for-cubs-fans_b_6308330.html

Don't read it?

Too late. I need answers. I've tweeted at the author. I plan to destroy him before the end of the workday.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #841 on: December 12, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 12, 2014, 09:33:53 AM
Can someone please explain what in the entire fuck I'm supposed to make of this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-spirrison/the-end-of-a-golden-era-for-cubs-fans_b_6308330.html

Don't read it?

Too late. I need answers. I've tweeted at the author. I plan to destroy him before the end of the workday.

As somebody who has spent some time involved with the various followers of the local ice hockey collective, I can asure you this type of thinking will only propogate. Dumbasses will howl at "bandwagon fans", as if there is some badge of honor that comes with having spent more time watching professional athletes earn their living that others. They will complain about the rising cost of ticket prices and beer prices, ignorant of the fact that you need to spend money to make money, and where is that revenue coming from? Todd's only making so much at Portillo's.

If he really wants a laid-back day at the ballpark without any emotional investment, he should go to Kane County. They're not a Cubs farm team any more, and the BBQ pork chop sandwich is still exceptional.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #842 on: December 12, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 12, 2014, 10:10:24 AM

Don't read it?

As somebody who has spent some time involved with the various followers of the local ice hockey collective, I can asure you this type of thinking will only propogate. Dumbasses will howl at "bandwagon fans", as if there is some badge of honor that comes with having spent more time watching professional athletes earn their living that others. They will complain about the rising cost of ticket prices and beer prices, ignorant of the fact that you need to spend money to make money, and where is that revenue coming from? Todd's only making so much at Portillo's.

If he really wants a laid-back day at the ballpark without any emotional investment, he should go to Kane County. They're not a Cubs farm team any more, and the BBQ pork chop sandwich is still exceptional.

I'm not even sure that's his point. It seems like he enjoyed having a couple of years with no expectations for the Cubs and following the guys in the minors.  I believe this may be satire. I'm not entirely sure though.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #843 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
Quote from: CT III on December 12, 2014, 10:38:21 AM

Don't read it?

I'm not even sure that's his point. It seems like he enjoyed having a couple of years with no expectations for the Cubs and following the guys in the minors.  I believe this may be satire. I'm not entirely sure though.

Well... He said he's a White Sox fan, so the subtext is "damn it, I'm not even going to be able to pretend my team is relevant in a few years."

Still that was dumb, even by meth addict standards.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #844 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Quote from: Bort on December 12, 2014, 11:49:46 AM

Don't read it?

Well... He said he's a White Sox fan, so the subtext is "damn it, I'm not even going to be able to pretend my team is relevant in a few years."

That's the part I couldn't figure out. Is he saying that he is or isn't a White Sox fan?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #845 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 12, 2014, 11:52:53 AM
Quote from: Bort on December 12, 2014, 11:49:46 AM

Don't read it?

That's the part I couldn't figure out. Is he saying that he is or isn't a White Sox fan?

I think he's not a Sox fan. Also not a good writer.

QuoteIncidentally, Samardzija can now take his string of shutout innings and no-decisions to the South Side, where they appreciate a healthy combination of mullets and misery.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #846 on: December 12, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
Yeah, thinking it over I think this article is the result of a bad writer trying to make what he thinks is satire, which in the modern Internet usage means "fake opinions delivered so seriously and humorlessly that you can't tell if the writer means it or not."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #847 on: December 12, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 12, 2014, 12:10:37 PM
Yeah, thinking it over I think this article is the result of a bad writer trying to make what he thinks is satire, which in the modern Internet usage means "fake opinions delivered so seriously and humorlessly that you can't tell if the writer means it or not."

Also, we're pretty much reached the point on the internet where no fake opinion is insane enough that you can assume its satire.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #848 on: December 26, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »

Nah, I'm good.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #849 on: December 26, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 26, 2014, 03:47:07 PM

Nah, I'm good.

It's a pretty run-of-the-mill column, actually.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #850 on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #851 on: January 13, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 13, 2015, 02:12:42 PM
Cool story bro.

Of course he has an affiliate link to Amazon for the blender.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #852 on: January 13, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #853 on: January 13, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 13, 2015, 03:19:43 PM
Cool story bro.

Jesus, he's insufferable.

So much anger for pretty much one of the two best places for actual information on the Cubs.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #854 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 13, 2015, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 13, 2015, 03:19:43 PM
Cool story bro.

Jesus, he's insufferable.

So much anger for pretty much one of the two best places for actual information on the Cubs.

Some folks just can't handle a zero-to-sixty person.