News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 194,983 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 05, 2015, 05:45:15 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on February 05, 2015, 04:41:01 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 05, 2015, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: CBStew on February 05, 2015, 01:49:11 PM
Quote from: Slaky on February 05, 2015, 12:43:56 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 04, 2015, 11:40:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 04, 2015, 11:25:14 AM
Remarkable restraint by Will Leitch here to not put the Cardinals first on every team's top three rival list.  Although the Cardinals do have the most mentions, more than the Yankees, of course.

He also states that in his opinion, Cubs/Cards is the best rivalry in the game even though they've never met in the postseason.

It's so fucking not the best rivalry in the game it's laughable. God this clown bothers me.

For those of us who were breathing in 1969, we will always despise the Mets.  If we were still breathing in 2004 1984 the Padres replaced the Mets.  But if you get a chance, drop in at AT&T Park in San Francisco when the Cubs are in town.  It is almost as intense as the Giants/Dodgers rivalry.

Unless I missed something'd.

At some point in time, Cubs fans could hate every team in the NL except - maybe the Rockies. I don't know if they've ever hurt us.

Fuck Colorado. Don Baylor was successful enough in Colorado that it segued into a Cubs managerial job.

That's a reach. I'm ambivalent on the Rockies. I don't have much issue with the Nationals either, other than their manager being a pud.

Truth. I'm pretty sure the Rockies took the Wild Card spot from the Cubs in 1995, but it wasn't Colorado's fault. Otherwise, the Cubs owe the Rockies for their 1998 playoff game against the Giants, because Neifi Perez beat San Francisco with a walk off.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #886 on: February 07, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 05, 2015, 01:49:11 PM
Quote from: Slaky on February 05, 2015, 12:43:56 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on February 04, 2015, 11:40:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 04, 2015, 11:25:14 AM
Remarkable restraint by Will Leitch here to not put the Cardinals first on every team's top three rival list.  Although the Cardinals do have the most mentions, more than the Yankees, of course.

He also states that in his opinion, Cubs/Cards is the best rivalry in the game even though they've never met in the postseason.

It's so fucking not the best rivalry in the game it's laughable. God this clown bothers me.

For those of us who were breathing in 1969, we will always despise the Mets.  If we were still breathing in 2004 the Padres replaced the Mets.  But if you get a chance, drop in at AT&T Park in San Francisco when the Cubs are in town.  It is almost as intense as the Giants/Dodgers rivalry.

It felt good to beat out the Mets in 1984, right before Davey Johnson's army of cokeheads went and won it all in 1986.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #887 on: February 08, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
"Sat, 07 Feb 2015 1:26 PM ET

"In Novemeber, Major League Baseball launched an investigation on the Cubs for possible tampering regarding manager Joe Maddon. New MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said at ESPN headquarters this week that the investigation is "still ongoing," and a source told the network that the results should be completed before the start of the 2015 season."
Maybe the Cubs will have to sit out the 2015 season?  Just goes to show you.  Novemeber is for Thaksgiving.  Not for tampering with another team's manager.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #888 on: February 16, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
Our very own (at least, once upon a time) KD, rattling cages and making waves.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #889 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 16, 2015, 02:32:47 PM
Our very own (at least, once upon a time) KD, rattling cages and making waves.

"Predatory Loans Arena" might be fun in off-the-cuff conversation, but publishing a piece that calls out a company as such is textbook commercial disparagement. To write an article detailing predatory lending cases involving Quicken Loans is one thing, to put in a statement without any explanation calling out a lender as a predatory lender is a whole other thing. Sure, Dan Gilbert threatened to pull his sponsorship, which probably wouldn't matter one wit because the contract was signed. However, he probably threatened to sue for disparagement.

Hate to side with Yahoo! against KD, but KD is still there and life goes on.

KD is a great writer (and I miss his posts here) and this post was well-written, but his Predatory Loans comment was unnecessary. In the old days, he'd have an attentive copy editor that would be a gentle check on his edginess.

This does not reflect well on Gilbert though.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #890 on: February 16, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #891 on: March 12, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »
Maybe this belongs in the "I Admit It" thread, but I just saw in a Reddit AMA with Tiffani Amber Thiessen (that I found out about on Twitter) that one of the commenters mentioned that Lark Vorhees wrote a book that's full of craziness and she's an insane person.

So...here you go.  

Jesus.

Don't, miss, clicking, on, the, cover, of, the, book, to, read, an, excerpt.

The reviews are also top-notch.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #892 on: March 12, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 12, 2015, 03:02:26 PM
Maybe this belongs in the "I Admit It" thread, but I just saw in a Reddit AMA with Tiffani Amber Thiessen (that I found out about on Twitter) that one of the commenters mentioned that Lark Vorhees wrote a book that's full of craziness and she's an insane person.

So...here you go.  

Jesus.

I've read Wheezer posts that make more sense.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #893 on: March 12, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »

So...here you go.  

Jesus.

I liked the part where she misspelled her own name on the second page.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #894 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 12, 2015, 05:29:42 PM

So...here you go.  

Jesus.

I'm not up on my Lark Vorhees lore, but isn't she bipolar or something? I'd rather make fun of Alvin's overuse of punctuation.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #895 on: March 13, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 13, 2015, 08:27:21 AM

So...here you go.  

Jesus.

I'm not up on my Lark Vorhees lore, but isn't she bipolar or something? I'd rather make fun of Alvin's overuse of punctuation.

Bipolarity doesn't even begin to explain this.  She's clearly completely lost touch with reality.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #896 on: March 13, 2015, 08:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 13, 2015, 08:30:39 AM
Quote from: Fork on March 13, 2015, 08:27:21 AM

So...here you go.  

Jesus.

Bipolarity doesn't even begin to explain this.  She's clearly completely lost touch with reality.

The comments are fantastic. 

Here's the first one--

Lark Voorhies much ballyhooed literary debut is a fearless promenade into dementia; a Gertrude Stein-esque masterstroke of deliberate bathos scribed in the percussionary vocal cadence of vintage Shatner. Unrelenting in tone, True Light: A, superior, take, unto, the, premier, haloing, of, tenuation. Readily, available, True Light, provides, resource, into, time's, motifed, and, vestuved, authenticate, revelation centers on a young Ecuadorian donkey tamer thrust into insufferable Marxist warfare circa 1960s Columbia.

And boy oh boy, what a read... Enjoy your Pulitzer, Miss Voorhies.

This is quite simply the greatest book ever written, of all time, by a margin so wide that no book penned passed this point could even remotely compare. You want a difficult read? This book makes Ulysses look like a Tyler Perry screenplay. You want commas? You're in luck, because this book has more commas than words. It has so many commas I thought my book was raining. The commas broke my Kindle, which is a relief, because I'll never have to read again until the universe reaches maximum entropy. It's that good.

I mean look at the title - there are words there that didn't even exist until Lark summoned them onto print. Genius. You know who else creates words out of thin air? Babies. And what is a baby if not God's opinion that the world should go on. Carl Sandburg said that, and I believe it's the underlying motif of Voorhies chef d'oeuvre.

In summation they should have really followed up on that episode where Zack and Lisa started dating.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #897 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »
I have no idea where else to put this but this was a thing that happened on facebook that I think is kinda horrifically insensitive and I want to see if you people agree, especially those of you that have kids and imagine what you'd do in this guy's situation.

This coach at my old high schools' 8 year old daughter died this weekend. Had flu like symptoms and then just died. Must have been meningitis or something. Very sad story.

One of our old high school teachers who I am facebook friends with (and who never, ever, ever shuts up about her kids) decides the best way to express sympathy for this guy is to post pictures of him with her daughters (he was their coach I guess) with the caption "Doug Swanson, because you love our girls like your own, we are here for you!"

Reasons this is messed up in my opinion

1)Guy is mourning his actual daughter, I doubt he's cheered up by the reminder that you have daughters you love that are still alive.

2)Again, however much he likes your daughters, I don't think he really gives a flying crap about anyone else's kids right now

3) You're somehow making another person's tragedy about YOUR FAMILY as you always do, by posting like 8 pictures that are mostly just pictures of your daughter, no pictures of his daughter that passed or any mention of her or anything.

4) the way she phrases the "because you love our daughters like your own, we are here for you!" can be read as "hey I sympathize with you if only because you agree my kids are awesome."

I don't know. Am I being harsh or is that really messed up?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #898 on: March 23, 2015, 09:21:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2015, 09:15:29 AM
I have no idea where else to put this but this was a thing that happened on facebook that I think is kinda horrifically insensitive and I want to see if you people agree, especially those of you that have kids and imagine what you'd do in this guy's situation.

This coach at my old high schools’ 8 year old daughter died this weekend. Had flu like symptoms and then just died. Must have been meningitis or something. Very sad story.

One of our old high school teachers who I am facebook friends with (and who never, ever, ever shuts up about her kids) decides the best way to express sympathy for this guy is to post pictures of him with her daughters (he was their coach I guess) with the caption “Doug Swanson, because you love our girls like your own, we are here for you!”

1)Guy is mourning his actual daughter, I doubt he’s cheered up by the reminder that you have daughters you love that are still alive.

2)Again, however much he likes your daughters, I don’t think he really gives a flying crap about anyone else’s kids right now

3) You’re somehow making another person’s tragedy about YOUR FAMILY as you always do, by posting like 8 pictures that are mostly just pictures of your daughter, no pictures of his daughter that passed or any mention of her or anything.

4) the way she phrases the “because you love our daughters like your own, we are here for you!” can be read as “hey I sympathize with you if only because you agree my kids are awesome.”

I don’t know. Am I being harsh or is that really messed up?

Pen knows I think using Facebook to memorialize someone is the best way to go.

Also, defriend that person. I dropped about 300+ people a week or so ago, and I'm much happier for it. I kept desipiots for reasons unknown

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #899 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 23, 2015, 09:15:29 AM

This coach at my old high schools' 8 year old daughter died this weekend. Had flu like symptoms and then just died. Must have been meningitis or something. Very sad story.

One of our old high school teachers who I am facebook friends with (and who never, ever, ever shuts up about her kids) decides the best way to express sympathy for this guy is to post pictures of him with her daughters (he was their coach I guess) with the caption "Doug Swanson, because you love our girls like your own, we are here for you!"

1)Guy is mourning his actual daughter, I doubt he's cheered up by the reminder that you have daughters you love that are still alive.

2)Again, however much he likes your daughters, I don't think he really gives a flying crap about anyone else's kids right now

3) You're somehow making another person's tragedy about YOUR FAMILY as you always do, by posting like 8 pictures that are mostly just pictures of your daughter, no pictures of his daughter that passed or any mention of her or anything.

4) the way she phrases the "because you love our daughters like your own, we are here for you!" can be read as "hey I sympathize with you if only because you agree my kids are awesome."

I don't know. Am I being harsh or is that really messed up?

I think that saying "...we are here for you..."  is kind.  It let's him know where not to go if he wants to avoid that idiot.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)