News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 194,992 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1005 on: July 20, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 20, 2015, 04:01:32 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 20, 2015, 03:41:10 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 20, 2015, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 20, 2015, 03:34:37 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 20, 2015, 02:55:50 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 20, 2015, 02:52:48 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 20, 2015, 02:50:26 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 20, 2015, 02:09:59 PM
MLBTR's constant fellating of Peter Gammons as if contractually mandated.

QuoteIn his latest column at GammonsDaily.com, legendary journalist Peter Gammons writes that

lol

I don't see anything wrong with that.
Who doesn't like Peter Gammons?

Legendary journalism critic Sterling Archer, I guess.

He's a fine baseball reporter but that's hardly the stuff of legends.

QuoteHowever, Gammons notes that the Sox have considered the move, thinking that he could help them make a run and that a rental might give them an inside edge on signing him in free agency. Gammons is the second journalist to mention this today, as WEEI.com's Rob Bradford offered a similar take earlier.

Only legends are redundant!

Semantics, sure. But if you have to call any baseball reporter legendary (and I realize no one is making us do that), Gammons is probably about as qualified as it gets.

Fair enough.

I've always thought Gammons was a guy. He was on ESPN so he got more face time than every other baseball reporter. He never really pissed me off by writing/saying ludicrous shit and I always felt like he kept his hot takes to himself which made him the anti-Costas. So he's had this really incredible run of being heard from a lot and not making me mad. That's got to count for something at some point. Legendary, I guess, by default.

Peter Gammons was the baseball guy for Sports Illustrated in the 80s, and before the Intertubes you would keep up on baseball this way:

1) SI subscription, where you would read a good baseball featch, something good in the Scorecard section and Gammons' Diamond Notes
2) Antenna that pulled in WGN for Cubs games, WVTV for Brewers games, WFLD for the occasional Sox game, ABC for Monday or Thursday Night Baseball, NBC for the Game of the Week, and if you had a really kickin' antenna, you'd pull in some Grand Rapids station that carried Tigers games. Otherwise, you'd just get cable and get the Braves of Dale Murphy-Bob Horner-Phil Neikro brought to you by Skip Caray and Ernie Johnson Sr, and the Mets who were worse than Brezhnev, brought to you by Ralph Kiner and Tim McCarver.
3) This Week in Baseball, which would be on from 12 to 12:30  on Saturdays before the Game of the Week
4) USA Today Sports page, which had every team's cumulative individual stats. Add the Tribune to that, which had the Sunday notebook columns from Jerome Holtzman and the two beat writers as well as complete Cubs and Sox statistics, what else would you need?

Really, there were only a few important baseball writers: Gammons; Tracy Ringolsby, who made his rep in Denver before the Rockies; Hal Bodley; Jayson Stark; Bill Madden; Tom Boswell; Jerome Holtzman; and very few others.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1006 on: July 20, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 20, 2015, 04:33:55 PM

QuoteIn his latest column at GammonsDaily.com, legendary journalist Peter Gammons writes that

lol

QuoteHowever, Gammons notes that the Sox have considered the move, thinking that he could help them make a run and that a rental might give them an inside edge on signing him in free agency. Gammons is the second journalist to mention this today, as WEEI.com's Rob Bradford offered a similar take earlier.

Semantics, sure. But if you have to call any baseball reporter legendary (and I realize no one is making us do that), Gammons is probably about as qualified as it gets.

Fair enough.

I've always thought Gammons was a guy. He was on ESPN so he got more face time than every other baseball reporter. He never really pissed me off by writing/saying ludicrous shit and I always felt like he kept his hot takes to himself which made him the anti-Costas. So he's had this really incredible run of being heard from a lot and not making me mad. That's got to count for something at some point. Legendary, I guess, by default.

Peter Gammons was the baseball guy for Sports Illustrated in the 80s, and before the Intertubes you would keep up on baseball this way:

1) SI subscription, where you would read a good baseball featch, something good in the Scorecard section and Gammons' Diamond Notes
2) Antenna that pulled in WGN for Cubs games, WVTV for Brewers games, WFLD for the occasional Sox game, ABC for Monday or Thursday Night Baseball, NBC for the Game of the Week, and if you had a really kickin' antenna, you'd pull in some Grand Rapids station that carried Tigers games. Otherwise, you'd just get cable and get the Braves of Dale Murphy-Bob Horner-Phil Neikro brought to you by Skip Caray and Ernie Johnson Sr, and the Mets who were worse than Brezhnev, brought to you by Ralph Kiner and Tim McCarver.
3) This Week in Baseball, which would be on from 12 to 12:30  on Saturdays before the Game of the Week
4) USA Today Sports page, which had every team's cumulative individual stats. Add the Tribune to that, which had the Sunday notebook columns from Jerome Holtzman and the two beat writers as well as complete Cubs and Sox statistics, what else would you need?

Really, there were only a few important baseball writers: Gammons; Tracy Ringolsby, who made his rep in Denver before the Rockies; Hal Bodley; Jayson Stark; Bill Madden; Tom Boswell; Jerome Holtzman; and very few others.

Remember when WFLD sued the White Sox to get out of their contract on the grounds that the Sox were so bad?

Good times.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1007 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »

lol

Fair enough.

At some stage, didn't TWIB run locally on WGN?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1008 on: July 20, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2015, 04:42:38 PM

lol

Fair enough.

Remember when WFLD sued the White Sox to get out of their contract on the grounds that the Sox were so bad?

Good times.

Vaguely do. Here's the recap in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, which rips the "miserly" Heat, just one year into existence.

The Sox behavior in 1986-1988 shows just how their move to St.Pete-Tampa-Clearwater was a fait accompli in the minds of many in their front office.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1009 on: July 20, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 20, 2015, 04:46:58 PM

lol

Fair enough.

Thinking back, I think it did at some point, but I thought it was a staple on Channel 5 before the Game of the Week came on. Maybe after the NBC Baseball deal expired?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1010 on: July 20, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 20, 2015, 04:51:43 PM

lol

Fair enough.

Thinking back, I think it did at some point, but I thought it was a staple on Channel 5 before the Game of the Week came on. Maybe after the NBC Baseball deal expired?

I had forgotten about how much I relied on Gammons' SI stuff back then. That type of longevity and the evolution that Eli noted makes Gammons a rare talent. Definitely legendary. 
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1011 on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »

lol

Fair enough.

I believe--but I could be wrong--that in the early 1980's TWIB would come on after the Baseball Bunch with Johnny Bench and before NBC's Game of the Week.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1012 on: July 21, 2015, 08:24:27 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2015, 09:44:08 PM

lol

Fair enough.

I believe--but I could be wrong--that in the early 1980's TWIB would come on after the Baseball Bunch with Johnny Bench and before NBC's Game of the Week.
I was thinking more mid-70's on WGN.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1013 on: July 21, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2015, 09:44:08 PM

lol

Fair enough.

That's how I remember it. I loved the Baseball Bunch.

My senior year in college I lived in a shithole with seven guys. It was loud and disgusting. We had a rule that everyone had to shut the hell up if Peter Gammons was talking on TV. So I guess we considered him legendary.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1014 on: July 24, 2015, 03:27:16 AM »
A sentence from David Kaplan, professional writer:

QuoteIn addition, the Cubs front office is hesitant to add a high profile player in the final year of his contract because the players they are being asked to give up in return are significant and with the team likely not able to catch the Cardinals for the division title the thought of paying a high price to make it to a one game Wild Card playoff is not appealing to Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer after they spent the past three seasons in last place and trying to overhaul a minor league system that in 2011 was ranked 28th in baseball and is now one of the game's very best

because Epstein and Hoyer have used the high draft picks they received for the team's poor performance to select bright young stars like Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber as they've dealt veterans for more raw talent like Addison Russell and developing talent like Jake Arrieta who along with Anthony Rizzo and Cuban signing Jorge Soler have formed a core of good young players who have the team competing for a Wild Card slot despite intermittent struggles to score runs and some shaky outings from Jon Lester who may find himself at the top of a rotation with some of the best left handed starters in baseball if the team is successful in landing Cole Hamels and David Price although the Cubs front office is hesitant to add a high profile player in the final year of his contract because the players they are being asked to give up in return are significant and with the team likely not abl
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1015 on: July 24, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 24, 2015, 03:27:16 AM
A sentence from David Kaplan, professional writer:

QuoteIn addition, the Cubs front office is hesitant to add a high profile player in the final year of his contract because the players they are being asked to give up in return are significant and with the team likely not able to catch the Cardinals for the division title the thought of paying a high price to make it to a one game Wild Card playoff is not appealing to Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer after they spent the past three seasons in last place and trying to overhaul a minor league system that in 2011 was ranked 28th in baseball and is now one of the game's very best

because Epstein and Hoyer have used the high draft picks they received for the team's poor performance to select bright young stars like Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber as they've dealt veterans for more raw talent like Addison Russell and developing talent like Jake Arrieta who along with Anthony Rizzo and Cuban signing Jorge Soler have formed a core of good young players who have the team competing for a Wild Card slot despite intermittent struggles to score runs and some shaky outings from Jon Lester who may find himself at the top of a rotation with some of the best left handed starters in baseball if the team is successful in landing Cole Hamels and David Price although the Cubs front office is hesitant to add a high profile player in the final year of his contract because the players they are being asked to give up in return are significant and with the team likely not abl

Yellon clearly stole all Kap's punctuation.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1016 on: July 26, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 20, 2015, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 20, 2015, 04:42:38 PM

lol

Fair enough.

Good times.

Vaguely do. Here's the recap in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, which rips the "miserly" Heat, just one year into existence.

The Sox behavior in 1986-1988 shows just how their move to St.Pete-Tampa-Clearwater was a fait accompli in the minds of many in their front office.

It's amazing how close they came.  In late June of '88 our family was on vacation on the keys near Sarasota.  I still remember my dad flipping through the channels as all the local networks broke into their programming to announce the breaking news that the White Sox were staying in Chicago.  You would have thought there was an assassination.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1017 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
Nothing makes my heart sink like seeing an article about the Cubs, then seeing "By Rich Cohen".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1018 on: October 01, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1019 on: October 07, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Who the fuck is Dan Buffa?

QuoteIf I had to choose which team I'd like the Cards to face in the NLDS in 2015, I'd take the Chicago Cubs. You can't tell me that series wouldn't be thrilling. As my dad said after a Cards comeback victory over the Cubs this season. "We gave them a taste. Now that's enough." If the Cubs make it out of Pittsburgh with a victory, it will be appropriate for the sheriff in town to quickly shut them up.

It's time for analogies to Westerns? It certainly doesn't connect very well with First Amendment jurisprudence.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!