News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 195,006 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1200 on: February 03, 2016, 02:43:37 AM »
Seriously, does BP Wrigleyville want to fail?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

motown

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #1201 on: February 03, 2016, 06:58:42 AM »
https://twitter.com/MATrueblood/status/694763279072100352

*removes BP Wrigleyville from RSS feed*

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1202 on: February 03, 2016, 07:34:12 AM »
Yeah. We're done here.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1203 on: February 03, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »
Quote from: Bort on February 03, 2016, 07:34:12 AM
Yeah. We're done here.

Man that was swift.   
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1204 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 03, 2016, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Bort on February 03, 2016, 07:34:12 AM
Yeah. We're done here.

Man that was swift.   

SQDPD

Remind me to never hire Sahadev and then let him leave.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1205 on: February 03, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »
Hey, here's more!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28361

Don't hire smart people because, uh, marginal value or something?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1206 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2016, 10:39:46 AM
Hey, here's more!

There's a simple solution to all of this and it's that a bunch of 20 somethings whose work experience consists of writing for a baseball blog should not be writing articles about how front offices should operate and who they should hire/fire.

It's one thing for you to say "the Diamondbacks front office is bad becuase they clearly don't value prospects the way they should, etc," but they're out here trying to develop some new front office hiring paradigm or other theoretical bullshit based on basically nothing. If Jed Hoyer wrote  an article on what kinds of people front offices should hire I'd barely be interested, I sure as shit don't care what some dude for BP thinks about it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
Hey, here's more!

They just like to find the argument for the wrong side just for the hell of it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »
Hey, here's more!

BP seems to be putting the theory to test, no?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
To say the Dodgers have 10 Theo Epsteins is ludicrous.

Here's who they have:

President & CEO Stan Kasten, who formerly served in a similar capacity for both the Nationals and the Braves (and the NBA's Atlanta Hawks).
This is one John McDonough. Manage the business enterprise, and this one has plenty of threats and opportunities in their Southern California and national markets.

President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman, who formerly served as G.M. of the Rays.
This is one Theo Epstein

General Manager Farhan Zaidi, who formerly served as Assistant G.M. to Billy Beane in Oakland.
This is one Jed Hoyer

Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations Josh Byrnes, formerly the G.M. of the Padres and of the Diamondbacks.
This is Randy Bush

Vice President of Baseball Operations Alex Anthopoulos, lately G.M. in Toronto.
This is Jason McLeod

Senior Advisor Ned Colletti, formerly G.M. of the Dodgers (which must be somewhat awkward, at times).
This is Ed Lynch "scouting" as needed, but merely collecting the remainder of his contract.

Special Advisor Gerry Hunsicker, formerly G.M. of the Astros for a decade.
Hunsicker is Freidman's mentor, I'm sure he collects a relatively small check to have lunch with Friedman every once in awhile and chat on the phone.

Special Advisor Tommy Lasorda, a Dodgers legend and another former franchise G.M.
If you think Lasorda is getting paid anything significant to do anything but sign autographs in between innings at Dodger Stadium, appear a couple times on the Dodgers pregame show, and snore and fart in the back of the room during meetings...

Ibanez and Maddux. Will hang out during Spring Training, play a lot of golf, mentor a couple minor leaguers that need some guidance, and then go back and live a life of leisure in retirement during the regular season.

The last five are totally disposable, Byrnes and Anthopoulos add value, but if anyone wants them to generally manage another team, the Dodgers will find someone else. Zaidi and Friedman are the brain trust. Kasten will keep the investors happy with their $2B investment.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
Quote from: motown on February 03, 2016, 06:58:42 AM

I'm completely done. Who is the audience for this stuff?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 03, 2016, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: motown on February 03, 2016, 06:58:42 AM

I'm completely done. Who is the audience for this stuff?

Other writers for BP Wrigleyville, I guess.

This is why sabermetric people get hit with the whole "YOU PEOPLE JUST DON'T WATCH DA GAMEZ" thing. These guys are so far removed from actually discussing baseball it's not even funny. They're just interested in pretending to be part of some advanced front office think tank.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1212 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 03, 2016, 10:42:37 AM
Hey, here's more!

There's a simple solution to all of this and it's that a bunch of 20 somethings whose work experience consists of writing for a baseball blog should not be writing articles about how front offices should operate and who they should hire/fire.

It's one thing for you to say "the Diamondbacks front office is bad becuase they clearly don't value prospects the way they should, etc," but they're out here trying to develop some new front office hiring paradigm or other theoretical bullshit based on basically nothing. If Jed Hoyer wrote  an article on what kinds of people front offices should hire I'd barely be interested, I sure as shit don't care what some dude for BP thinks about it.

I guess his point is don't buy 10 Porsches because each one you add to your garage has less value than the last one. But if you have $500 million in the bank, you're not really concerned about marginal value.

He even acknowledges this at the very end and still decided to hit "publish."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1213 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2016, 11:07:29 AM
Hey, here's more!

I guess his point is don't buy 10 Porsches because each one you add to your garage has less value than the last one. But if you have $500 million in the bank, you're not really concerned about marginal value.

Right. They're the Dodgers. He used the thought argument of "if I had 6 million to spend on a front office..." but there's zero reason to think the Dodgers have any kind of budget at all for buying front office personnel.

The only argument to be made against what the Dodgers are doing is the one he briefly touches on about them maybe disagreeing too much, but that's only a problem if Friedman isn't firmly in charge. There seems to be no doubt that Friedman has complete control.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1214 on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2016, 11:07:29 AM
Hey, here's more!

But they're not all the same Porsche at the same price. They're not paying Lasorda or Hunsicker Friedman bucks. Kasten is the Porsche in the other garage. Byrnes and Anthopoulos are the used Porsches you got a good deal on, you're going to restore, and they'll be more valuable leaving than they were coming. Colletti is the Porsche you stupidly got the 72-month lease on, and wish you never did, but having it ready just in case your idiot brother comes into town for the week and needs to borrow a car is better than not having it on hand. Ibanez and Maddux are the Porsches you rent when you go on vacation and want to look splashy. Friedman and Zaidi are the two Porsches the Dodgers actually spent Porsche money on.