News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 194,999 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1245 on: February 03, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 03, 2016, 07:25:06 PM
We must not have been the only ones complaining because they spent the day on Twitter whining about cynical readers and being self important mopes.

Who was this?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1246 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »
We must not have been the only ones complaining because they spent the day on Twitter whining about cynical readers and being self important mopes.

You're so unquestioning. They just have "different ideas."

(actual Trooblud quote)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1247 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:23 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2016, 08:48:46 PM

Who was this?

Trueblood was apparently whining as Sterling pointed out, that Rian Watt guy basically was just asking everyone WHY DON'T YOU LIKE US?, Stan Crewsett meditated on what being a writer "means", some guy named JWyllys or whatever the hell his name is I guess he's a writer there was bemoaning how he doesn't care for cynical, smarmy people who knock down people who are "creating" or whatever. It was just a lot of self important whining.

They should ask why no one else is getting this kind of feedback, it's not just a cynical fucking readership, you dopes.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1248 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 06:42:23 AM

Who was this?

Trueblood was apparently whining as Sterling pointed out, that Rian Watt guy basically was just asking everyone WHY DON'T YOU LIKE US?, Stan Crewsett meditated on what being a writer "means", some guy named JWyllys or whatever the hell his name is I guess he's a writer there was bemoaning how he doesn't care for cynical, smarmy people who knock down people who are "creating" or whatever. It was just a lot of self important whining.

They should ask why no one else is getting this kind of feedback, it's not just a cynical fucking readership, you dopes.

Who was saying that Twitter > shoutbox again?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1249 on: February 04, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »

Who was this?

Watt tweeted at me asking what specifically I didn't like. I told him that Trueblood's inclusion on the roster is a non-starter for me. That's really what it comes down to. The rest of the site becomes far more tolerable if that dipshit is no longer a part of it. He's that bad.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1250 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:19 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 04, 2016, 08:11:58 AM

Who was this?

Watt tweeted at me asking what specifically I didn't like. I told him that Trueblood's inclusion on the roster is a non-starter for me. That's really what it comes down to. The rest of the site becomes far more tolerable if that dipshit is no longer a part of it. He's that bad.

Indeed. But if the Watt article about not hiring smart people is any indication they're all starting to become Trueblood. Write about baseball, and baseball players, and not how front offices should be run like a DARPA experiment because I read an article on the shitter once.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1251 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 08:19:19 AM

Who was this?

Indeed. But if the Watt article about not hiring smart people is any indication they're all starting to become Trueblood. Write about baseball, and baseball players, and not how front offices should be run like a DARPA experiment because I read an article on the shitter once.

Hopefully they'll be better once there is actual 2016 data to analyze. Abstract concepts are clearly not their strong point.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1252 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:20 AM »

Who was this?

I appreciate thought exercises as much as the next guy but self-awareness is so important in being a good writer. And these guys need to have the self-awareness to know they don't have the faintest clue of the inner workings of an MLB front office. So musing on if DARPA or transformational leadership or narcissistic leadership (maybe I should submit that column and see if they run it) works in an environment they don't understand is pointless and tedious.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1253 on: February 04, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 04, 2016, 08:59:20 AM

Who was this?

I appreciate thought exercises as much as the next guy but self-awareness is so important in being a good writer. And these guys need to have the self-awareness to know they don't have the faintest clue of the inner workings of an MLB front office. So musing on if DARPA or transformational leadership or narcissistic leadership (maybe I should submit that column and see if they run it) works in an environment they don't understand is pointless and tedious.

Right. There's just a matter of credibility at stake here. I can buy that some person with no formal training who is familiar with analytics and advanced stats can say why a trade a GM made is probably bad, or why player A is better than player B. I do not buy for one second that some 20 something with no front office experience has any idea how to actually run a front office.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1254 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 09:03:16 AM
Quote from: Eli on February 04, 2016, 08:59:20 AM

Who was this?

Right. There's just a matter of credibility at stake here. I can buy that some person with no formal training who is familiar with analytics and advanced stats can say why a trade a GM made is probably bad, or why player A is better than player B. I do not buy for one second that some 20 something with no front office experience has any idea how to actually run a front office.

I could do without a lot of the set-up and "personality" writing here, but for an offseason article, this isn't that bad.

I'd still rather read in-depth profiles of lesser-known prospects, but considering the new data available, this is decent subject matter.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1255 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1256 on: February 04, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1257 on: February 04, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 04, 2016, 12:42:20 PM
Jesus Christ, Phil Rogers is a fucking hack.

That article is literally unreadable. Did he ever take a junior high English course?
If the Cubs hadn't just won 97 games last year, you'd wonder if Theo Epstein was channeling Bill Veeck. There's zero chance that this is a publicity stunt, yet it is likely to be wildly popular among the Bleacher Bums, who struggled to get their arms around a former Cub part-time player collecting 214 hits in a season, as Murton did in 2010, the first of his six years in Japan.

1) Bill Veeck wouldn't sign Matt Murton. He'd have signed Mark Grace, put a provision in his contract that he had to drink beers before the game and order the manager to give him 3 pinch hit appearances a week at home.
2) Why would it be wildly popular? Murton was an OK player when he was at his best. Was he really all that wildly popular, except in 2006, when the team was so unwatchable, he was one of the few people you'd let out into public?
3) Bleacher bums struggling to get their arms around Murton while he's collecting 214 hits in a season 5,000 miles away? Does he mean wrapping their minds around it? On another note, isn't the Japanese League down a notch or two now that the best players wind up here? Bob Horner channeling Babe Ruth in Japan was kind of a big deal (and it got him a big contract with St. Louis). But Horner, Warren Cromartie and Murton aren't exactly hall of famers here and dominated out there.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1258 on: February 04, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 04, 2016, 01:21:55 PM

That article is literally unreadable. Did he ever take a junior high English course?
If the Cubs hadn't just won 97 games last year, you'd wonder if Theo Epstein was channeling Bill Veeck. There's zero chance that this is a publicity stunt, yet it is likely to be wildly popular among the Bleacher Bums, who struggled to get their arms around a former Cub part-time player collecting 214 hits in a season, as Murton did in 2010, the first of his six years in Japan.

1) Bill Veeck wouldn't sign Matt Murton. He'd have signed Mark Grace, put a provision in his contract that he had to drink beers before the game and order the manager to give him 3 pinch hit appearances a week at home.
2) Why would it be wildly popular? Murton was an OK player when he was at his best. Was he really all that wildly popular, except in 2006, when the team was so unwatchable, he was one of the few people you'd let out into public?
3) Bleacher bums struggling to get their arms around Murton while he's collecting 214 hits in a season 5,000 miles away? Does he mean wrapping their minds around it? On another note, isn't the Japanese League down a notch or two now that the best players wind up here? Bob Horner channeling Babe Ruth in Japan was kind of a big deal (and it got him a big contract with St. Louis). But Horner, Warren Cromartie and Murton aren't exactly hall of famers here and dominated out there.

Was Matt Murton ever really even popular, or was he just a mascot for those of us internet snarks who liked to snark at Dusty and Lou for not playing the guy with the high OBP enough because look at me I read Moneyball?

I mean I never went to games back in those days so I don't know what John Q. Meatball thought of him. I assume favorably disposed because of whitness but he was hardly stubbly enough to be a real hero

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1259 on: February 04, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 04, 2016, 01:21:55 PM

Shit, Murton's record isn't even the most impressive ex-Cub record in Japan.