News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unreadable  ( 194,910 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unreadable
« Reply #1260 on: February 04, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 01:31:15 PM
Quote from: Brownie on February 04, 2016, 01:21:55 PM
Quote from: Tonker on February 04, 2016, 12:42:20 PM
Jesus Christ, Phil Rogers is a fucking hack.

That article is literally unreadable. Did he ever take a junior high English course?
If the Cubs hadn't just won 97 games last year, you'd wonder if Theo Epstein was channeling Bill Veeck. There's zero chance that this is a publicity stunt, yet it is likely to be wildly popular among the Bleacher Bums, who struggled to get their arms around a former Cub part-time player collecting 214 hits in a season, as Murton did in 2010, the first of his six years in Japan.

1) Bill Veeck wouldn't sign Matt Murton. He'd have signed Mark Grace, put a provision in his contract that he had to drink beers before the game and order the manager to give him 3 pinch hit appearances a week at home.
2) Why would it be wildly popular? Murton was an OK player when he was at his best. Was he really all that wildly popular, except in 2006, when the team was so unwatchable, he was one of the few people you'd let out into public?
3) Bleacher bums struggling to get their arms around Murton while he's collecting 214 hits in a season 5,000 miles away? Does he mean wrapping their minds around it? On another note, isn't the Japanese League down a notch or two now that the best players wind up here? Bob Horner channeling Babe Ruth in Japan was kind of a big deal (and it got him a big contract with St. Louis). But Horner, Warren Cromartie and Murton aren't exactly hall of famers here and dominated out there.

Was Matt Murton ever really even popular, or was he just a mascot for those of us internet snarks who liked to snark at Dusty and Lou for not playing the guy with the high OBP enough because look at me I read Moneyball?

I mean I never went to games back in those days so I don't know what John Q. Meatball thought of him. I assume favorably disposed because of whitness but he was hardly stubbly enough to be a real hero

I genuinely liked Matt Murton because he had a nice OBP and was a ginger. I actually believe I started the first, and thus, "Official" Matt Murton Fan Club on Facebook back in 2005. This is the "I admit it" thread, right?

Right?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1261 on: February 04, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 04, 2016, 01:56:52 PM

That article is literally unreadable. Did he ever take a junior high English course?
If the Cubs hadn't just won 97 games last year, you'd wonder if Theo Epstein was channeling Bill Veeck. There's zero chance that this is a publicity stunt, yet it is likely to be wildly popular among the Bleacher Bums, who struggled to get their arms around a former Cub part-time player collecting 214 hits in a season, as Murton did in 2010, the first of his six years in Japan.

1) Bill Veeck wouldn't sign Matt Murton. He'd have signed Mark Grace, put a provision in his contract that he had to drink beers before the game and order the manager to give him 3 pinch hit appearances a week at home.
2) Why would it be wildly popular? Murton was an OK player when he was at his best. Was he really all that wildly popular, except in 2006, when the team was so unwatchable, he was one of the few people you'd let out into public?
3) Bleacher bums struggling to get their arms around Murton while he's collecting 214 hits in a season 5,000 miles away? Does he mean wrapping their minds around it? On another note, isn't the Japanese League down a notch or two now that the best players wind up here? Bob Horner channeling Babe Ruth in Japan was kind of a big deal (and it got him a big contract with St. Louis). But Horner, Warren Cromartie and Murton aren't exactly hall of famers here and dominated out there.

Was Matt Murton ever really even popular, or was he just a mascot for those of us internet snarks who liked to snark at Dusty and Lou for not playing the guy with the high OBP enough because look at me I read Moneyball?

I mean I never went to games back in those days so I don't know what John Q. Meatball thought of him. I assume favorably disposed because of whitness but he was hardly stubbly enough to be a real hero

I genuinely liked Matt Murton because he had a nice OBP and was a ginger. I actually believe I started the first, and thus, "Official" Matt Murton Fan Club on Facebook back in 2005. This is the "I admit it" thread, right?

Right?

*Apex punches a picture of a Garvey*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1262 on: February 04, 2016, 02:32:38 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 04, 2016, 02:17:02 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on February 04, 2016, 01:56:52 PM

Right?

*Apex punches a picture of a Garvey*

Yeah, this hasn't been an awesome day.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1263 on: February 05, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 04, 2016, 01:49:35 PM

Shit, Murton's record isn't even the most impressive ex-Cub record in Japan.

#FreeTuffy
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1264 on: February 08, 2016, 10:05:32 AM »
Can't say too much but there's a disturbing lack of recognition of just how batshit Trueblood is with the people at or formerly of BP Wrigleyville.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1265 on: February 08, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 08, 2016, 10:05:32 AM
Can't say too much but there's a disturbing lack of recognition of just how batshit Trueblood is with the people at or formerly of BP Wrigleyville.

What do you mean and why can't you say more?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1266 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 08, 2016, 10:10:12 AM

Had a private conversation with Sahadev - I guess there's not much to say other than the staff there doesn't seem to think he's an awful troll all the time.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1267 on: February 08, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 08, 2016, 10:20:38 AM

Had a private conversation with Sahadev - I guess there's not much to say other than the staff there doesn't seem to think he's an awful troll all the time.

To be fair I don't think the kid is a troll in that he states bad opinions just to get people mad. I think he believes what he's saying. I think he thinks he is the Smartest Guy in the Room, and uses his skewed interpretation of analytics to support his awful opinions while tolerating absolutely no disagreement.  The BP guys seem to think he's just a cool "outside perspective" to have instead of just a condescending shithead.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1268 on: February 08, 2016, 10:32:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 08, 2016, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 08, 2016, 10:20:38 AM

To be fair I don't think the kid is a troll in that he states bad opinions just to get people mad. I think he believes what he's saying. I think he thinks he is the Smartest Guy in the Room, and uses his skewed interpretation of analytics to support his awful opinions while tolerating absolutely no disagreement.  The BP guys seem to think he's just a cool "outside perspective" to have instead of just a condescending shithead.

DPD, but I also think Sahadev is just a super nice guy who isn't going to shit on the kid.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1269 on: February 08, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
Here's Rian heavily overcompensating for the fact that his reign hasn't been very smooth so far:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28379

But hey, at least he's gotten more Twitter followers. Not that he'd ever talk about his follower count.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1270 on: February 08, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 08, 2016, 10:33:58 AM
Here's Rian heavily overcompensating for the fact that his reign hasn't been very smooth so far:

But hey, at least he's gotten more Twitter followers. Not that he'd ever talk about his follower count.

I had to stop when that fucking chode assumed people reading goddamn Baseball Prospectus needed him to definie "paradigm shift"

Jesus Christ, these people.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1271 on: February 08, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 08, 2016, 10:35:58 AM

I had to stop when that fucking chode assumed people reading goddamn Baseball Prospectus needed him to definie "paradigm shift"

The you missed this gem:

"The best baseball writing I've read this year has been about more than baseball. It's been about politics, and race, and gender, and sexuality, and money, and power..."

Sexuality?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1272 on: February 08, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 08, 2016, 10:52:34 AM

The you missed this gem:

"The best baseball writing I've read this year has been about more than baseball. It's been about politics, and race, and gender, and sexuality, and money, and power..."

Sexuality?

Maybe he read a synopsis of "Bull Durham".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1273 on: February 08, 2016, 12:13:58 PM »

The comments, man. Congratulating Rian for his brilliant insight that we need something to do "after sabermetrics". What happened to that place.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1274 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 06:42:23 AM
Quote from: Eli on February 03, 2016, 08:48:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on February 03, 2016, 07:25:06 PM
We must not have been the only ones complaining because they spent the day on Twitter whining about cynical readers and being self important mopes.

Who was this?

Trueblood was apparently whining as Sterling pointed out, that Rian Watt guy basically was just asking everyone WHY DON'T YOU LIKE US?, Stan Crewsett meditated on what being a writer "means", some guy named JWyllys or whatever the hell his name is I guess he's a writer there was bemoaning how he doesn't care for cynical, smarmy people who knock down people who are "creating" or whatever. It was just a lot of self important whining.

They should ask why no one else is getting this kind of feedback, it's not just a cynical fucking readership, you dopes.

First off, it's "Croussett" and you've greatly offended him by getting it wrong.

Secondly, I love that he was being insufferable. Fits right in to my biased opinion about the bitch