News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Grantland: A Bill Simmons Joint  ( 19,046 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Grantland: A Bill Simmons Joint
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
So this dude, Mobute, who I hadn't heard of until this week, wrote a stunning takedown of Grantland's very, however as yet brief, existence. He writes under a pseudonym and so however you feel about people without real names tearing established, successful writers new assholes you are certainly entitled to that opinion. The point remains that this is as good of a piece of writing as I'm liable to ever see. I get the idea that this writer is essentially trolling the world and most of the time he's just exercising his mind by ripping on things whether he actually despises them or not. Which is fine because, like I said, it's amazing.

Have a read if you have some Friday to kill: Et tu, Mr. Destructo?

Side note: I'm sure Paul thinks this guy sucks.

Extra side note: What if it is Paul?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Grantland: A Bill Simmons Joint
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
If I read this, am I going to feel stupid for liking Chuck Klosterman?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 13, 2011, 04:10:02 PM
So this dude, Mobute, who I hadn't heard of until this week, wrote a stunning takedown of Grantland's very, however as yet brief, existence. He writes under a pseudonym and so however you feel about people without real names tearing established, successful writers new assholes you are certainly entitled to that opinion. The point remains that this is as good of a piece of writing as I'm liable to ever see. I get the idea that this writer is essentially trolling the world and most of the time he's just exercising his mind by ripping on things whether he actually despises them or not. Which is fine because, like I said, it's amazing.

I think you nailed it. Especially after reading this series of posts.

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2009/11/av-clubs-50-best-albums-of-decade-are_9501.html

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
Quote from: Tony on May 13, 2011, 04:30:07 PM
If I read this, am I going to feel stupid for liking Chuck Klosterman?

Don't worry, I like him too. And yes you may feel inferior - but my point was that you shouldn't - only recognize that there are valid criticisms of him that exist. I tend to think of him as a better writer than Simmons (and I've tried to read The Book of Basketball a few times and it is terrible) but he's chosen to hitch his wagon to Simmons' ox cart and that's the way it has to be, apparently.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
Quote from: R-V on May 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2009/11/av-clubs-50-best-albums-of-decade-are_9501.html

That's the post that sold me on his trolliness, too. It's always good to not fully judge someone on one piece of writing so I'm glad I read some other pieces before doing so.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »

Et tu, Mr. Destructo? is legit and I need to remember to read it more often.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 13, 2011, 04:38:34 PM
Quote from: R-V on May 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM

That's the post that sold me on his trolliness, too. It's always good to not fully judge someone on one piece of writing so I'm glad I read some other pieces before doing so.

Quote from: Mobutu Sese SekoLet's be honest, Drive-By Truckers is modern music for the type of Southern male who thinks Kid Rock is "too black," and Kings of Leon "too ragingly homosexual."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »
I kind of can't believe I'm going to try to wade through this garbage.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6635763/welcome-grantland

QuoteOn the day Jimmy Kimmel's late-night show was launching in Hollywood...

Wait, I fell asleep already?

QuoteThe fifth song on that album is "Clocks," the one that starts with those pounding piano chords (the defining hook of any song they've written). Sal and I were engrossed in the Raiders-Bucs game when suddenly "Clocks" started cranking six floors below us. It was Coldplay. Rehearsing. Really, really loudly. The song went for about a minute (no vocals), then it stopped. There was a long pause. Then the pounding piano chords started again. It went like that for about 25 minutes: the world's hottest band rehearsing its music, the Super Bowl winding to a close, our lives just a few hours away from being changed, that shadow looming ... and nobody knowing what would happen next.

He fixes the cable?

And it goes on from here. With margin notes!

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 08, 2011, 01:20:25 PM

QuoteThe fifth song on that album is "Clocks," the one that starts with those pounding piano chords (the defining hook of any song they've written). Sal and I were engrossed in the Raiders-Bucs game when suddenly "Clocks" started cranking six floors below us. It was Coldplay. Rehearsing. Really, really loudly. The song went for about a minute (no vocals), then it stopped. There was a long pause. Then the pounding piano chords started again. It went like that for about 25 minutes: the world's hottest band rehearsing its music, the Super Bowl winding to a close, our lives just a few hours away from being changed, that shadow looming ... and nobody knowing what would happen next.

He fixes the cable?

Guh.....the margin notes have to be a lame result of Klosterman's influence.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
Quote from: Tony on June 08, 2011, 01:53:38 PM

He fixes the cable?

I believe that Simmons started reading Wallace a few years back and began incorporating these notes into his writing. They're completely unnecessary and only add to the tediousness of reading him. I don't know how it became a chore to read someone so sophomoric but he's done it.

To be fair to him, margin/end/foot notes predate anything written by Wallace, Lesbian Klosterman or anyone else for that matter. It's just obvious where Simmons got the idea from and he doesn't need them and should abandon them immediately.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Quote from: Tony on June 08, 2011, 01:53:38 PM

He fixes the cable?

Or they just wanted to take a nice steaming shit on David Foster Wallace's grave.

I really enjoy Chris Jones's stuff in Esquire, and liked his article. They've got some good writers (Jones, Mike Schur, Patton Oswalt) lined up that I'll read. For everything else I'll just lay back and enjoy Dolan and Drew Magary's mocking of it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
QuoteThe fifth song on that album is "Clocks," the one that starts with those pounding piano chords (the defining hook of any song they've written).

If he uses his parentheses to explain his jokes, what are the margin notes for?

Oh, I see... Letting us know that Snoop smokes weed.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 08, 2011, 02:09:26 PM
QuoteThe fifth song on that album is "Clocks," the one that starts with those pounding piano chords (the defining hook of any song they've written).

If he uses his parentheses to explain his jokes, what are the margin notes for?

Oh, I see... Letting us know that Snoop smokes weed.

And all English people are assholes by default.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »

Coldplay sucks.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 08, 2011, 02:39:37 PM

Coldplay sucks.

One more major difference between Fork and Chad.