News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jon Benjamin Has A Van  ( 1,874 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Jon Benjamin Has A Van
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
Premiers tonight. And tomorrow night.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jon-benjamin,57471/

QuoteAVC: After the last time we spoke, you mentioned after the interview that the show shifted from how it was originally conceived. How so?

JB: It started when we made the pilot. It's not entirely different, but we built on what we did in the pilot and changed it from there. When it got ordered to a series, we didn't completely change it, but we took the elements of the pilot and expanded on them. We added the whole story element—how the story breaks down, or how I become part of the fake story that I'm doing—in some fashion. We expanded on that part without telling Comedy Central, who were, um, not unpleasantly surprised by that. Initially, [the first episode] wasn't the pilot. It was a different show: a couple street pieces and a couple interviews, and that was it. It never went anywhere else.

AVC: What was the attraction to add the secondary story, the show-within-a-show element?

JB: Well, we wanted to fuck over Comedy Central. No, no, we started writing and realized that if we did 10 of those episodes, it would become boring for us. At least it was for me. Leo Allen, who I worked with and wrote the show with—we started writing a bunch of interview sketches in the room, and after a week we were like, "Wow. We wrote a lot of these." It felt like the show wouldn't be as exciting to us if we did 10 of those. Basically, we had decided to write the last episode first, where we would completely go away from the formula of the first nine—we decided, "Let's write that one first so we have it out of the way and can return to writing what we're supposed to write," figuring that Comedy Central won't care by episode 10 that we're writing something totally different. So we did that, and because we enjoyed it, we did more of that. It's like doing cocaine. Once you do it once, you're like, "Wow that's enjoyable, let's do it again!" But it's not for everybody. Writing. Not cocaine. Cocaine is for everybody.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jon Benjamin Has A Van
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Enjoying it so far, and I especially appreciate how they're mocking TV journalism.  Some reviews are ripping it to shreds, but duh-and/or-hello, I'm a total Jon Benjamin apologist.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 16, 2011, 07:42:00 PM
Enjoying it so far, and I especially appreciate how they're mocking TV journalism.  Some reviews are ripping it to shreds, but duh-and/or-hello, I'm a total Jon Benjamin apologist.

I've only managed to catch the last half of last night's Little Little Italy episode but it confirmed my suspicion that Jon Benjamin is the shit.

"She's a grown woman!"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 16, 2011, 08:31:54 PM

I've only managed to catch the last half of last night's Little Little Italy episode but it confirmed my suspicion that Jon Benjamin is the shit.

"She's a grown woman!"

And yet you gave me shit about my love of the criminally underrated Home Movies?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 17, 2011, 09:45:16 AM

"She's a grown woman!"

And yet you gave me shit about my love of the criminally underrated Home Movies?

No... I just said that no one else in the world has ever watched Home Movies, so your hip references to it are dropped in vain

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 17, 2011, 10:17:44 AM

"She's a grown woman!"

No... I just said that no one else in the world has ever watched Home Movies, so your hip references to it are dropped in vain

I'm sure Brendan Small's mother watched it and found my hip reference hilarious.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 17, 2011, 10:23:05 AM

"She's a grown woman!"

I'm sure Brendan Small's mother watched it and found my hip reference hilarious.

This sausage could go to war and die for it's country.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2011, 10:53:43 AM

"She's a grown woman!"

See, Tank? The show made it all the way to Iowa!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 17, 2011, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2011, 10:53:43 AM

"She's a grown woman!"

See, Tank? The show made it all the way to Iowa!

Actually, it was just animated there in sweatshops.  Even cheaper than Korea!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
Good episode this week.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:02:34 AM »
This doesn't really seem like the sort of show destined to be picked up for a second season, but the were-Jew-musclebear was the stuff of genius.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:17 AM »
(The blood on the bedsheets was a particularly nice touch.)