News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Deadwood  ( 3,907 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Deadwood
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »
God dammit, did the old thread get eated? Alan Sepinwall has been re-watching the 1st season and posting his reviews, and the dude who plays Ellsworth has been posting some interesting comments to each post (about how Al Bundy (?!) was originally supposed to play Swearengen, what it was like working with David Milch, etc).

SPOILERS below if you're a hooplehead and haven't seen the first season of Deadwood, in which case you should first kick yourself in the crotch, and then get to watchin...

Anyway, I'm reminded of Chuck in the Shoutbox the other day being a moron about how the episode in which Bill dies was too heavy-handed or predictable or some such horseshit. Thought I would post some excerpts of Sepinwall's review of this episode, as he does a better job than I would of explaining that the death is SUPPOSED to be telegraphed - Bill has basically given up on trying to be a good man and is dog-ass tired of life in general and decides to surrender himself to Jack McCall or whichever cocksucker decides they want to be famous.

QuoteWhat a showcase for Keith Carradine. As I recall, HBO sent out the first four episodes of "Deadwood" for review, and though it was clear Olyphant and McShane were both doing some exceptional work, the guy I wound up wanting to interview was Carradine. He makes such a meal out of Wild Bill's final day on earth, at showing how he could be so full of self-loathing and yet still possessed of so much dignity and nobility. He complains to Charlie that he tries so hard every day to be something he's not capable of, and yet throughout this episode we see just how much he really can do, how smart and powerful he is, and exactly how he came to build up this reputation that's now such an unbearable burden on him. Even though Bill is preparing for the end, however it may come, he still has it in him to stand up for the widow Garret, and to know exactly how to play Al Swearengen (who only trusts Hickok once he presents himself as yet another con artist), before passing things off to Bullock. He says his goodbyes, sometimes with the other person knowing and hating it (Charlie), sometimes not (Jane, Seth, Alma), and he writes his letter, and then he goes to play some damn poker and see what happens.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Deadwood
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »
What!   Wild Bill Hickock died?   You bet that is unpredictable!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 01:00:41 PM »
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:08:28 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 08, 2016, 01:08:28 PM
Quote from: flannj on January 08, 2016, 01:00:41 PM
Bonertime you cocksuckers!

This also has nothing to do with the Dead Pool.

You can't submit Deadwood characters into your 2017 picks.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
None of you cocksuckers are talking about this upcoming event?

Get out the peaches!
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »
I'll tell you what, HBO may have fucked up the TV series abrupt ending flatter than hammered shit, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human cocksucker to say that they did a nice job with this movie.

God bless David Milch.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »
Quote from: flannj on June 01, 2019, 11:19:24 AM
I'll tell you what, HBO may have fucked up the TV series abrupt ending flatter than hammered shit, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human cocksucker to say that they did a nice job with this movie.

God bless David Milch.

And fuck "John from Cincinnati" (and tHom and Franchester from Cincinnati).

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
I honestly cannot take much more of this tedious crap, which my host for some reason insists that I watch while he sits next to me playing first-person shooters. I have to wait for him to leave if I want to watch Chernobyl.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!