News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 NCAA/BigTen Football Thread  ( 69,600 )

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2011 NCAA/BigTen Football Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on August 17, 2011, 08:58:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2011, 07:08:02 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 17, 2011, 05:12:40 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 16, 2011, 08:18:02 PM
Miami is fucking screwed. The guy bought Devin Hester's engagement ring. Kellen Winslow, Jr. crashed the dude's jet ski. He spent a couple million (he has receipts and photos for everything) on illegal gifts to dozens of the university's best players over eight years. This is SMU-style shit. They may get the death penalty. At the very least they're going to make Ohio State and USC look like they got off easy.

Is this a surprise?  There are probably 50 other schools that do the exact same thing.  Who cares?

Yes, thanks for quoting Meatball College Football Fan Axiom #2, but the point is that they got caught with hard evidence worse than anything the NCAA has seen since SMU in 1987. If they get the "lack of institutional control" label thrown on them the whole program could be going up in smoke.

It maybe meatball, but it's true. USC was the worst, until Ohio State became the worst, and now Miami is the worst. This is not counting the Auburns, Oregons, North Carolinas, etc.

Not to mention Illinois.  You think that any of these "top recruit" gangsters want to come from Floriday to Bumblefuck, IL to play in the freezing cold and for a shitty team unless they got a bag full of cash that was larger than the bag full of cash offered by the other colleges?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
Miami is fucking screwed. The guy bought Devin Hester's engagement ring. Kellen Winslow, Jr. crashed the dude's jet ski. He spent a couple million (he has receipts and photos for everything) on illegal gifts to dozens of the university's best players over eight years. This is SMU-style shit. They may get the death penalty. At the very least they're going to make Ohio State and USC look like they got off easy.

Is this a surprise?  There are probably 50 other schools that do the exact same thing.  Who cares?

Yes, thanks for quoting Meatball College Football Fan Axiom #2, but the point is that they got caught with hard evidence worse than anything the NCAA has seen since SMU in 1987. If they get the "lack of institutional control" label thrown on them the whole program could be going up in smoke.

It maybe meatball, but it's true. USC was the worst, until Ohio State became the worst, and now Miami is the worst. This is not counting the Auburns, Oregons, North Carolinas, etc.

I'm not saying the "Everybody does it" thing is the meatball part, I'm saying the "who cares because everybody does it" is the meatball part. The fact that we all think everybody does it is one thing, my point is that Miami just got caught with something far worse than what other schools have been caught with since SMU. It's fine for us to say "So what? Everybody does it" but that isn't what the NCAA is going to say and my point is that Miami is going to get hit hard for this and that'll have an actual affect on the on-field product for college football, and that's why it's relevant. I'm not moralizing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2011, 09:14:12 AM

I'm not saying the "Everybody does it" thing is the meatball part, I'm saying the "who cares because everybody does it" is the meatball part. The fact that we all think everybody does it is one thing, my point is that Miami just got caught with something far worse than what other schools have been caught with since SMU. It's fine for us to say "So what? Everybody does it" but that isn't what the NCAA is going to say and my point is that Miami is going to get hit hard for this and that'll have an actual affect on the on-field product for college football, and that's why it's relevant. I'm not moralizing.

DPD, but what they've been caught with is far worse than what USC, Ohio State, Oregon, North Carolina, and Auburn have, to this point, been caught with. USC was a handful of players receiving financial assistance with plausible deniability on the part of the staff. Ohio State was players selling their own shit for for tattoos and a failure of admission on the coaching staff, but not active participation as far as anyone has proven so far. Oregon so far has only been caught with paying a guy for doing some unofficial recruiting. Auburn will probably go down hard if the NCAA really does slam them for actually paying Newton, but it hasn't happened yet. UNC was players talking to and taking benefits from agents but the coaching staff maintained plausible deniability up until the last scandal, but even then we're not talking the kind of money or benefits or the number of players/years involved here. This is an entire decade's worth of Miami players and the active involvement and participation of several coaches from both the basketball and football teams, not to mention some transferred players like the current starting QB for Purdue. This is huge. You can dismiss it with the "everybody does it" wanking motion but that doesn't change the fact that, based on what other programs have been caught with, this is far worse.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »
Triple posting douche (but I'm long winded and everyone knows it so whatever), the main point here is that the other programs recently have had largely individual transgressions of the lesser category of "failure to comply" but not the dreaded "Lack of Insitutional Control" label that destroyed SMU, but based on the evidence and the vast number of players/coaches and transgressions (the guy gave the players money to pay for abortions, which I don't think is probably going to sit well with the faux-moralism of the NCAA) I don't see how they can possibly get away with this, especially since this isn't exactly Miami's first rodeo with a heaping pile of violations.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
Is there any way we can get Notre Dame to do more of this kind of thing, because it seems like they aren't doing nearly enough.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

It doesn't matter that Miami got caught, nothing will change. The NCAA will put someone like Paul Dee in charge, who will drop the hammer like was done to USC. Then we will come to find out that the same Paul Dee was in charge of Miami during all of this. It's in the culture of the NCAA. Thus The "who cares because everybody does it" sentiment will aptly continue. The on field product will be fine, there are always teams that will Miami's or anyone else's shoes.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on August 17, 2011, 09:30:14 AM

It doesn't matter that Miami got caught, nothing will change. The NCAA will put someone like Paul Dee in charge, who will drop the hammer like was done to USC. Then we will come to find out that the same Paul Dee was in charge of Miami during all of this. It's in the culture of the NCAA. Thus The "who cares because everybody does it" sentiment will aptly continue. The on field product will be fine, there are always teams that will Miami's or anyone else's shoes.

At what point did I come out and say that the entire NCAA is going to collapse or change the way it's doing things because of this? I find it to be worthwhile information on it's own that the Miami football program that has been one of college football's best since the 1980s is probably going to be a non-factor for a while because of this. That, to me, is news in and of itself.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 17, 2011, 09:05:46 AM

Not to mention Illinois.  You think that any of these "top recruit" gangsters want to come from Floriday to Bumblefuck, IL to play in the freezing cold and for a shitty team unless they got a bag full of cash that was larger than the bag full of cash offered by the other colleges?

Too true. Zook is the king of hookers and blow but since Illinois is still terrible no one cares enough to investigate. There's no legitimate reason for guys like Benn and Vontae to have played at Illinois. I've been to Champaign. It's ok for suburban white people who don't mind the smell of cow shit and just want to drink. For guys with actual athletic futures - why the fuck would you go to freezing/boiling hot, shit-stinking Champaign when you can go to any number of Southern/California schools where the hottest girl doesn't look like Yoko Ono.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 17, 2011, 09:39:59 AM

Too true. Zook is the king of hookers and blow but since Illinois is still terrible no one cares enough to investigate. There's no legitimate reason for guys like Benn and Vontae to have played at Illinois. I've been to Champaign. It's ok for suburban white people who don't mind the smell of cow shit and just want to drink. For guys with actual athletic futures - why the fuck would you go to freezing/boiling hot, shit-stinking Champaign when you can go to any number of Southern/California schools where the hottest girl doesn't look like Yoko Ono.

The truly frustrating thing about Zook is that he's probably going to get fired at some point and people are eventually going to stumble on the obvious truth about where all of those recruits came from and the school is going to get slammed and we're all going to pissed because all we got for it was a shellacking in the Rose Bowl that one time.

Anyway, my original point, "Miami is screwed," still stands.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2011, 09:35:16 AM

At what point did I come out and say that the entire NCAA is going to collapse or change the way it's doing things because of this? I find it to be worthwhile information on it's own that the Miami football program that has been one of college football's best since the 1980s is probably going to be a non-factor for a while because of this. That, to me, is news in and of itself.

I agree it's news, but we can't dismiss the Who cares everybody does it sentiment as strictly meatball. There is alot of truth to it. In the end, you're right Miami is screwed irregardless.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
How many teams have to get screwed before Purdue can go .500 again?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on August 17, 2011, 09:55:05 AM
irregardless

Intrepid Reader: Morpheus

JESUS!
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2011, 09:51:03 AM
Quote from: Slaky on August 17, 2011, 09:39:59 AM

The truly frustrating thing about Zook is that he's probably going to get fired at some point and people are eventually going to stumble on the obvious truth about where all of those recruits came from and the school is going to get slammed and we're all going to pissed because all we got for it was a shellacking in the Rose Bowl that one time.

Anyway, my original point, "Miami is screwed," still stands.

Conversely, I'll guess that the NCAA will give them some punishment that makes them bad for 3-4 years and then the heat will be off and they'll start cheating and winning again.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on August 17, 2011, 09:55:05 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2011, 09:35:16 AM

I agree it's news, but we can't dismiss the Who cares everybody does it sentiment as strictly meatball. There is alot of truth to it. In the end, you're right Miami is screwed irregardless.

I'm not dismissing it entirely, just in this context. I'm not tring to moralize or wag the finger like most people who want to believe in the lie of amateur sports do. It was just irrelevant to my point that Miami's going to get nailed to the cross for it. Not that anyone here has done it, but most of the time I discuss these scandals people want you to follow into the Helen Lovejoy camp where guys like Jim Tressel are ruining our sacred sportsmanship or the "everybody does it, so why does it matter?" group. I'm completely amoral on the subject. I generally take money people offer me, so I don't blame these guys. Doesn't mean it's not interesting/worthwhile to note that those programs are getting hit for it or that Jim Tressel's not a despicable human being for going out and hawking books to doe-eyed Christians about how he's doing it the "right way" when he's just like everyone else. Much like I really don't give two shits if a baseball player is willing to take PEDs, but we all get pissed by the Palmeiros or "It's Okay to Believe in Me" Pujols who make some big show of their innocence before they get nailed.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.