News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Who will be the next GM?  ( 19,700 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Who will be the next GM?
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:09:58 AM »
My money's on Todd, with the cameras rolling. Great television.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who will be the next GM?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 19, 2011, 11:09:58 AM

Will he be forced to stay away from Wrigley for a week while he grows his GM beard?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
I thought the title was going to be Who Will be the Next in Line?

Dammit

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 19, 2011, 11:10:56 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 19, 2011, 11:09:58 AM

Will he be forced to stay away from Wrigley for a week while he grows his GM beard?

Checking on that with the producers, who have some great ideas on some signings and trades that will be ratings gold.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
QuoteOne member of baseball's front office Geek Squad getting attention is Rays' general manager Andrew Friedman, whom Carlos Pena lauded Friday. On Saturday, Garza called Friedman a "great GM" who "flipped the Tampa team around" in his first two years. Pena and Garza were on the Rays last season.

"I don't know how he does it, but year-in, year-out, he can put together a bullpen and the pieces he needs with the type of market he has," Garza said. "I think he'd do great here, but it's a biased opinion. I'd want (the job). It's going to be a fun couple of months to see who we get and how it goes. I know one thing for sure — I'll be back here in January."

Shhh guys, you'll jinx it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
So Hendry traded for Garza and didn't trade Pena to get Friedman in 2012?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »
From CRG:

QuoteThe Cubs are drawn to Colletti, a Chicago native and former Cubs employee, since they believe he could bring Hall of Fame second baseman turned minor league manager Ryne Sandberg back as the team's Major League skipper. Sandberg has said he'd return to the Cubs now that former GM Jim Hendry has been fired, according to Wittenmyer.

Hiring on that criteria sounds like some excellent reasoning!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 25, 2011, 08:11:41 AM
From CRG:

QuoteThe Cubs are drawn to Colletti, a Chicago native and former Cubs employee, since they believe he could bring Hall of Fame second baseman turned minor league manager Ryne Sandberg back as the team's Major League skipper. Sandberg has said he'd return to the Cubs now that former GM Jim Hendry has been fired, according to Wittenmyer.

"Now that the jerk who didn't hire me is gone I like the Cubs again."

Sandberg is the biggest fucking bitch on the planet.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 25, 2011, 08:24:15 AM
From CRG:

Hiring Coletti would be perfectly fucking awful. Replace one old-timey GM who thinks stats are for queers with another. Coletti can acquire Pierre and put him in left with Campana in center. Then Sandberg can have them hit 1-2 and bunt every at-bat.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
Quote from: R-V on August 25, 2011, 08:39:12 AM
Quote from: Slaky on August 25, 2011, 08:24:15 AM
From CRG:

Hiring Coletti would be perfectly fucking awful. Replace one old-timey GM who thinks stats are for queers with another. Coletti can acquire Pierre and put him in left with Campana in center. Then Sandberg can have them hit 1-2 and bunt every at-bat.

I honestly don't know what I would do if they hired Coletti. That might be the last straw. I'm probably full of shit but it would send me into a rage at least.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
From CRG:

After hearing about Friedman, Epstein, Cashman and other good names, hiring Colletti would literally be the worst thing that ever happened.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 25, 2011, 08:51:30 AM
From CRG:

After hearing about Friedman, Epstein, Cashman and other good names, hiring Colletti would literally be the worst thing that ever happened.

Jim Bowden is available...

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
From CRG:

This being the Cubs I should then congratulate Colletti on his imminent hire as GM.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 25, 2011, 08:52:55 AM
From CRG:

He signed Jason Schmidt in 2006 to a 3-year, $47-million free agent contract.
He signed Andruw Jones in 2007 to a 2-year, $36 million.

The only good thing he's done is that he hasn't traded away his sure bet minor league players...

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
Quote from: CT III on August 25, 2011, 08:52:55 AM
From CRG:

Colletti, Bowden, Steve Phillips. Maybe they can hire several GMs and use them on a rotating, committee basis.  They could call it something clever, like "University of GMs."