News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Who will be the next GM?  ( 19,728 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who will be the next GM?
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
Ah, Theo isn't that important in the grand scheme of things anyway. Chuck has already moved the goalposts to decree that the new regime will be a failure unless we get TWO, count em TWO, baseball guys.

QuoteYou know what Theo and Friedman both have that Ricketts says he doesn't need? A partner (Lucchino and Gerry Hunsicker)

QuoteHaving a baseball guy to watch your baseball guy is a good thing. When you only have one (Hendry) you get Soriano et al.

QuoteTheo or Friedman will be a nice change. But get one of them AND, say, Pat Gillick.

QuoteNot even close. He's no SABR guy, but Lucchino understands sports @Aisle424 Larry Lucchino is a lawyer. He's the same as Crane Kenney

QuoteMaybe. But Theo and Friedman both had someone riding shotgun @STAnteater @Aisle424 I'd rather have just one guy. Too many cooks otherwise

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 04, 2011, 10:23:18 PM
Cubs ask permission to speak to Theo Epstein.  I like.

This is all well and good until the talk ends with Theo saying, "You guys are so fucked."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 05, 2011, 10:44:36 AM
Ah, Theo isn't that important in the grand scheme of things anyway. Chuck has already moved the goalposts to decree that the new regime will be a failure unless we get TWO, count em TWO, baseball guys.
I'd rather have 2 than 1. But it's not a failure from the get go if they only get one guy.

Unless that guy is someone who's never done the job before.  If they get Rick Hahn and no Gillick type, the odds won't be in that guy's favor.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 05, 2011, 10:47:55 AM
I'd rather have 2 than 1. But it's not a failure from the get go if they only get one guy.

Unless that guy is someone who's never done the job before.  If they get Rick Hahn and no Gillick type, the odds won't be in that guy's favor.

I won't be happy unless the new GM hires an incredibly old person to tell them what to do either.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »

So, when do the Cubs get a 40 Theriot front office? 40 baseball guys would be better than one

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »

I thought Ricketts wanted to hire someone with experience actually doing the job? If I were Theo or Friedman and the owner was insistent on also bringing in another GM-type to manage my decisions, I wouldn't even bother . Let's start with hiring 1 good guy and actually let him do his job. And see how that goes.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 05, 2011, 12:07:09 PM

I thought Ricketts wanted to hire someone with experience actually doing the job? If I were Theo or Friedman and the owner was insistent on also bringing in another GM-type to manage my decisions, I wouldn't even bother . Let's start with hiring 1 good guy and actually let him do his job. And see how that goes plays out.

Gimme that old time religion'd

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 05, 2011, 11:04:05 AM

I won't be happy unless the new GM hires an incredibly old person to tell them what to do either.

I think you guys are all forgetting about Oneri Fleita. 

AND I WON'T LET YOU!

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
JP Ricciardi.  It's gonna hai.  Write it down and look at it, y'all.  Didja spell it right?  I might not have.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »
Teddy Eckstein to our Cubbiez?!

QuoteHenry may have offered one hint, however, at how the team will proceed when he said, "I think there is a certain shelf life to these jobs ... Theo is not going to be GM forever.''

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
If compensation is going to be required, can Theo place a call to our own Greg Maddux for pointers on how to engineer a trade involving oneself?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »
Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2011, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 09, 2011, 10:56:45 AM
HEY, I TOTALLY SWAW DAT EPSTEIN GUY GETTIN A BANANA!!!

I saw him having dinner with Lebron at Gibson's.

And I saw Mike and Frank Quade splitting a Super Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity at IHOP.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 10, 2011, 02:39:51 PM
Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2011, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 09, 2011, 10:56:45 AM
HEY, I TOTALLY SWAW DAT EPSTEIN GUY GETTIN A BANANA!!!

I saw him having dinner with Lebron at Gibson's.

And I saw Mike and Frank Quade splitting a Super Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity at IHOP.

Frank Quade? Why that hairy motherfucker owes me a drink.