Desipio Message Board
October 20, 2014, 10:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oct 12 - Oral History: Cubs hire Theo  http://www.desipio.com/?p=3639

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: commitment to death  (Read 918 times)
BBM
Hank White Fan Club

SASQUATCH IS something I haven't seen before!

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

finally, Al Davis

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7074380/oakland-raiders-owner-al-davis-dies-82-team-website-says
Eli
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Sad Rose, Part II

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »

Just die, baby.
SKO
Johnny Evers Fan Club

ARMCOCK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »

I'll miss him. He was always truly entertaining. When he drafted Darius Heyward-Bey with the 7th overall pick I laughed harder than I had in years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=545

"Plummer, in 1999, "contributed" 1,017 fewer yards to the Cardinals than the league average QB would have brought to the table. As far as modern seasons go, Plummer's '99 stands as the worst."
Lance Dicksons Arm
Fukakke Fan Club

Meet Papa Liberty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »

I'll miss him. He was always truly entertaining. When he drafted Darius Heyward-Bey with the 7th overall pick I laughed harder than I had in years.

Yea, that was strong.   As was the Lane Kiffin termination presser. 
Fork
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Needs something...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »

Does this mean the Raiders can be good now?

TIME TO POST!
CT III
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Killer of men.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »

Does this mean the Raiders can be good now?

It means we're going to need a new host for Tales From the Crypt.
PenPho
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »

Just die, baby.

Clearly This.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"
CBStew
Most people my age are dead.
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »

Davis was an orthodox Jew.  He died on Yom Kippur.  I am not sure of the significance of that.  The ritual says that on Rosh Hashonah it is written and on Yom Kippur it is sealed.  Who shall live and who shall die.  If it was sealed last Yom Kippur that Davis would die this year, then God gave him full measure of the year.

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)
Wheezer
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Non Omnis Moriar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »

Davis was an orthodox Jew.

Mamesh?

[Edit.--I hadn't previously heard of David Phillips's Passover Effect, apparent inspiration for "The Hollow Holiday: Christmas, a Time of Death in Appalachia." Freud was niftar on Yom Kippur.]

[Edit 2.--Freud, indeed, was also on a shabbat Y"K.]

[Edit 3.--I do wonder about some of the submissions to the Gematrix calculator. "Allen Davis" == "Styx" == "English Gematria Calculator," though.]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:57:22 PM by Wheezer » Logged

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!
CBStew
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »

When I wrote about it being written on Rosh Hashonah and sealed on Yom Kippur as to whom was to live and whom was to die,  I assumed that it was written on Rosh Hashonah a year ago that Davis was to die and that consequently he got the blessing of a full year.  But suppose it was written on the most recent Rosh Hashonah, about ten days ago, and not only sealed but carried out a week later yesterday on Yom Kippur?  If that was the case then he really must have gotten to someone by moving the Raiders from Oakland to LA and back.  But whom?

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)
Wheezer
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Non Omnis Moriar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »

But suppose it was written on the most recent Rosh Hashonah, about ten days ago, and not only sealed but carried out a week later yesterday on Yom Kippur?

Kesubos 103b:

Was it not taught.... dying on the Eve of the Day of Atonement is a bad omen, on the termination of the Day of Atonement is a good omen; dying of diarrhoea is a good omen because most righteous men die of diarrhoea?

"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!
CT III
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Killer of men.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

But suppose it was written on the most recent Rosh Hashonah, about ten days ago, and not only sealed but carried out a week later yesterday on Yom Kippur?

Kesubos 103b:

Was it not taught.... dying on the Eve of the Day of Atonement is a bad omen, on the termination of the Day of Atonement is a good omen; dying of diarrhoea is a good omen because most righteous men die of diarrhoea?

Dying is an omen?  Of what, burial?
Wheezer
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Non Omnis Moriar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »

Kesubos 103b:

Dying is an omen?  Of what, burial?

Forgiveness of sin. Yeshayahu 57, Tehilim 37. I don't know what's with the bowel problems of the tzaddikim.

[Edit.--Oh.

While we can be mikadesh [in] our eating, drinking, and piryah v'rivyah throughout the year, explains R' Shimon Shalom from Amshinov, we can never really fully sanctify the act of going to the bathroom. Even on Yom Kippur, a day that entails complete abstention from food and drink as well as marital relations, we can never completely personify the celestial angels because of our necessity to excrete bodily waste.

That is why, continues the Amshinover Rebbe, Chazal declare that most tzaddikim die by cholei mei'ayim, bowel and intestinal problems. After all, tzaddikim surely sanctify all parallel acts to the animals; the only aspect thus remaining--and, therefore, the only means the mal'ach ha'maves has at his disposal--is closely related to being motzi re'e.

(Footnotes omitted.)]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:41:11 PM by Wheezer » Logged

CBStew
Johnny Evers Fan Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »

Kesubos 103b:

Forgiveness of sin. Yeshayahu 57, Tehilim 37. I don't know what's with the bowel problems of the tzaddikim.

[Edit.--Oh.

While we can be mikadesh [in] our eating, drinking, and piryah v'rivyah throughout the year, explains R' Shimon Shalom from Amshinov, we can never really fully sanctify the act of going to the bathroom. Even on Yom Kippur, a day that entails complete abstention from food and drink as well as marital relations, we can never completely personify the celestial angels because of our necessity to excrete bodily waste.

That is why, continues the Amshinover Rebbe, Chazal declare that most tzaddikim die by cholei mei'ayim, bowel and intestinal problems. After all, tzaddikim surely sanctify all parallel acts to the animals; the only aspect thus remaining--and, therefore, the only means the mal'ach ha'maves has at his disposal--is closely related to being motzi re'e.

(Footnotes omitted.)]

Isn't there already a thread for this?

Wheezer
Johnny Evers Fan Club

Non Omnis Moriar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »

Kesubos 103b:

[Edit.--Oh.

(Footnotes omitted.)]

Isn't there already a thread for this?

Tell me about your dreams.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: