News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 156,992 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #330 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 17, 2014, 12:05:06 AM

If I only I had confidence this would never be Ricky, but whatever...I'm laughing now.

How many tears of laughter? HOW MANY TEARS OF LAUGHTER?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 17, 2014, 09:03:53 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 17, 2014, 08:50:48 AM
Ok, so maybe it's because I was marginally watching most of the year, but can someone actually tell me occasions where he flubbed up shit?

I think it mostly stems from his Yostian penchant for bunting.

He's also got a bit of Tony Vino in him - he's used 4 pitchers in a single inning.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 17, 2014, 09:11:19 AM
Ok, so maybe it's because I was marginally watching most of the year, but can someone actually tell me occasions where he flubbed up shit?

Did he have Castro, Rizzo, Soler or Baez bunt? Or some of the other half-a-WAR slapdicks he was saddled with? I, like Yeti, marginally paid attention when the good players weren't batting. So what gives? I remember a lot of hand-wringing around here about double switches that I didn't understand either. I need at least semi-accurate anecdotal evidence if I'm going to develop any butthurt over Ricky. Right now, I think he's a guy.

One Sac Bunt between them (Baez).

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: October 17, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 17, 2014, 09:59:44 AM

Did he have Castro, Rizzo, Soler or Baez bunt? Or some of the other half-a-WAR slapdicks he was saddled with? I, like Yeti, marginally paid attention when the good players weren't batting. So what gives? I remember a lot of hand-wringing around here about double switches that I didn't understand either. I need at least semi-accurate anecdotal evidence if I'm going to develop any butthurt over Ricky. Right now, I think he's a guy.

One Sac Bunt between them (Baez).

I think that should matter. When he starts having his good hitters bunt I'll worry.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: October 17, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 09:21:38 AM

He's also got a bit of Tony Vino in him - he's used 4 pitchers in a single inning.

As much as I hate his personality, to which Renteria's bears no discernible resemblance, LaRussa was a pretty successful manager of baseball players in his spare time. 

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »

That's not really saying much. There were 41 half-innings this year where the pitching team used four pitchers. Only 6 teams didn't have an occasion where they used four pitchers in an inning. And the tops/bottoms of the spectrum don't correlate with success. If anything Renteria (who only used 3 pitchers in an inning 12 times this year, 26th in the MLB) was less prone to over-managing late matchups than your typical Genius.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: October 17, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »

Pretty much this. Yeti's post shows that Renteria bunted in poor situations, but I don't think that's enough for me to think he's bad. As long as the guys aren't revolting against him and he can manage a pitching staff OK, I'm fine with him.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: October 17, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 17, 2014, 10:14:45 AM

That's not really saying much. There were 41 half-innings this year where the pitching team used four pitchers. Only 6 teams didn't have an occasion where they used four pitchers in an inning. And the tops/bottoms of the spectrum don't correlate with success. If anything Renteria (who only used 3 pitchers in an inning 12 times this year, 26th in the MLB) was less prone to over-managing late matchups than your typical Genius.

I very much enjoy having you around. Good shit.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: October 17, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
Keeping Smilin' Rick is fine for now, unless they have a shot at a post-Friedman Joe Maddon.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: October 17, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 17, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
Keeping Smilin' Rick is fine for now, unless they have a shot at a post-Friedman Joe Maddon.

I do think Ricky does good work when it comes to making players feel good and happy. At least he has so far. That is very important. I hope he learns and grows with the on field stuff. I'm not really too interested in seeing them change managers all the time.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 11:38:10 AM

I do think Ricky does good work when it comes to making players feel good and happy. At least he has so far. That is very important. I hope he learns and grows with the on field stuff. I'm not really too interested in seeing them change managers all the time.

Starlin Castro has had 4 managers in his 5 MLB years

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 17, 2014, 11:41:54 AM

Right. Ricky will be here unless the Cubs somehow lose 100 games again next year or there's a player revolt. There's no point in getting worked up over Joe Maddon or anyone else.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 17, 2014, 11:45:10 AM

Right. Ricky will be here unless the Cubs somehow lose 100 games again next year or there's a player revolt. There's no point in getting worked up over Joe Maddon or anyone else.

If all our prospect hopes and dreams come true, all the Cubs' manager will have to do is get out of the team's way.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 17, 2014, 12:12:28 PM

If all our prospect hopes and dreams come true, all the Cubs' manager will have to do is get out of the team's way.

Which Matheny fantastically failed to do this week. I don't know if this is the Methocalypse we've been pining for but it's not another Cardinal championship, so there's that. They could always go get a post-Friedman Madden themselves but for all that talk, why wouldn't the Dodgers be the favorite to land one of those?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 17, 2014, 12:49:02 PM
Quote from: Fork on October 17, 2014, 12:12:28 PM

Which Matheny fantastically failed to do this week. I don't know if this is the Methocalypse we've been pining for but it's not another Cardinal championship, so there's that. They could always go get a post-Friedman Madden themselves but for all that talk, why wouldn't the Dodgers be the favorite to land one of those?

Getting Friedman has me worried the Dodgers will kill my David Price 2016 buzz.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?