News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 157,103 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #525 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 30, 2015, 09:00:14 AM
Cardinals get Brandon Moss from the Indians for LHP prospect Rob Kaminsky.

Rob Kaminsky is a 20-year-old LHP who has a 2.09 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP and a 2.82 K/bb in 17 starts for Peoria. If Brandon Moss were playing first base for the Cubs, Fork would be leading the effort to get Fred McGriff to come out of retirement to replace him, and he'd be right to. Brandon Moss sucks.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: July 30, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 30, 2015, 09:19:50 AM

Rob Kaminsky is a 20-year-old LHP who has a 2.09 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP and a 2.82 K/bb in 17 starts for Peoria. If Brandon Moss were playing first base for the Cubs, Fork would be leading the effort to get Fred McGriff to come out of retirement to replace him, and he'd be right to. Brandon Moss sucks.

Scouts aren't that high on Kaminsky, though. Fastball 87-91, curveball not dominant. He has solid control, so he's dominating a bunch of young, eager kids, not a top of the rotation guy in the future probably.

Moss isn't that good, no, but would anyone be shocked if he experienced a "magical" resurgence in St. Louis?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 30, 2015, 09:19:50 AM

Now that he's a Cardinal, I expect him to HGH his way into becoming Lou Gehrig.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: July 31, 2015, 04:01:04 AM »
Typical bush league bullshit from Carlos Martinez and the Cardinals last night, beaning opposing batters for arbitrary reasons the RIGHT way.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: July 31, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
The Cardinals charge its own charity $300,000+ a year for office space and are the only MLB team that does so. And don't you ask about it, either.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: July 31, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
TPD because I hate the Cardinals: http://deadspin.com/oh-1721470346

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »
So much rage: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-st-louis-cardinals-cluster-luck/

QuoteTeam-level stats that estimate run prevention from pitchers' peripherals aren't as kind to the Cardinals. St. Louis has the best FIP, but only barely: The Cardinals' FIP is 0.70 runs higher than their ERA, tied for the fifth-largest difference in that direction since World War II. More complex run estimators — xFIP, SIERA, DRA — are even less impressed, placing the Cardinals inside the top 10 but outside the top five. The Cardinals don't strike out batters more often than everyone else, or get grounders more often, or allow fewer walks. They haven't acted like a team with a surplus of pitching, acquiring two former closers at the trading deadline. And it's not as if St. Louis has a Royals-esque defense propping up its staff: Its fielders are good, but not great.

QuoteThe Cardinals' success with runners in scoring position is a convincing illustration of the concept of "cluster luck," first described by author Joe Peta and calculated daily by Grantland contributor Ed Feng. The crux of the concept: Given the same number of hits — and even extra-base hits — two teams' run totals can vary dramatically depending on the way those hits are distributed. A team that bunches its hits in close succession will score more runs than a team that parcels them out sparingly from inning to inning, as the Reds and Brewers did against St. Louis last week. This seems like something that should even out over the course of a season, and often it does, but it hasn't come close to equalizing in the Cardinals' case. According to Feng, the Cardinals' crackdown with runners in scoring position has saved them 84 runs relative to the total their underlying stats say they should have allowed, which would outstrip the all-time second-place team in Feng's records (which go back to 2001) by more than 16 runs. BaseRuns, another method of calculating the number of runs a team "deserved" to allow, yields a slightly more conservative estimate of 61 runs below the team's expected tab. Either way, it's an enormous, potentially playoff-race-altering number.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 13, 2015, 09:31:43 AM
So much rage: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-st-louis-cardinals-cluster-luck/

QuoteTeam-level stats that estimate run prevention from pitchers' peripherals aren't as kind to the Cardinals. St. Louis has the best FIP, but only barely: The Cardinals' FIP is 0.70 runs higher than their ERA, tied for the fifth-largest difference in that direction since World War II. More complex run estimators — xFIP, SIERA, DRA — are even less impressed, placing the Cardinals inside the top 10 but outside the top five. The Cardinals don't strike out batters more often than everyone else, or get grounders more often, or allow fewer walks. They haven't acted like a team with a surplus of pitching, acquiring two former closers at the trading deadline. And it's not as if St. Louis has a Royals-esque defense propping up its staff: Its fielders are good, but not great.

QuoteThe Cardinals' success with runners in scoring position is a convincing illustration of the concept of "cluster luck," first described by author Joe Peta and calculated daily by Grantland contributor Ed Feng. The crux of the concept: Given the same number of hits — and even extra-base hits — two teams' run totals can vary dramatically depending on the way those hits are distributed. A team that bunches its hits in close succession will score more runs than a team that parcels them out sparingly from inning to inning, as the Reds and Brewers did against St. Louis last week. This seems like something that should even out over the course of a season, and often it does, but it hasn't come close to equalizing in the Cardinals' case. According to Feng, the Cardinals' crackdown with runners in scoring position has saved them 84 runs relative to the total their underlying stats say they should have allowed, which would outstrip the all-time second-place team in Feng's records (which go back to 2001) by more than 16 runs. BaseRuns, another method of calculating the number of runs a team "deserved" to allow, yields a slightly more conservative estimate of 61 runs below the team's expected tab. Either way, it's an enormous, potentially playoff-race-altering number.

I just had a very fulfilling conclusion on the way to work that this Cardinals team is basically acting like the St Louis Blues without the loser pedigree.

I'm hoping this is all a big set up for the best NLDS in Chicago Cubs history.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: August 13, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »

DAT'S CALLED CLUTCH HITTING RIGHT DERE, MY FRENT.  DEM CARDINAL GUYS JUST GOT DA MOXIE AN DA VETRAN LEADERSHIP TO GET ALL DERE HITS TAGEDDER.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 13, 2015, 11:25:21 AM

DAT'S CALLED CLUTCH HITTING RIGHT DERE, MY FRENT.  DEM CARDINAL GUYS JUST GOT DA MOXIE AN DA VETRAN LEADERSHIP TO GET ALL DERE HITS TAGEDDER.

Clearest case of TWTW I ever seen, Stone Pony.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: August 13, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Aw, what the hell, let's post it here:

Cubs
@Sox 3-0
DET 1-1
ATL 3-1
CLE 1-0
@SF 1-2
@LA 1-2
CIN 3-0
AZ  2-1
@STL 2-1
@PHL  4-0
@PIT 2-2
STL 3-0
MIL 3-0
PIT 2-1
KC 1-0
@CIN 2-1
@ MIL 3-0

37-11 the rest of the way for a 102-60 record

PIT
@STL (tonight) 1-0
@NYM 2-1
AZ 3-0
SF 2-2
@MIA 3-1
COL 3-0
@MIL 2-1
@STL 2-1
@CIN 2-1
MIL 4-0
CUBS 2-2
@LAD 1-2
@COL 3-1
@CUBS 1-2
STL 2-1
CIN 3-0

36-15 the rest of the way for a 101-61 record

STL
PIT 0-1 (tonight)
MIA 2-1
SF 1-2
@SD 3-0
@AZ 3-1
@SF 0-3
WAS 2-1
PIT 1-2
CUBS 1-2
@CIN 3-1
@MIL 2-1
@CUBS 0-3
CIN 3-0
MIL 3-1
@PIT 1-2
@ATL 3-0

28-21 the rest of the way for a 101-61 record.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2015, 12:19:31 AM »
THE CARDINALS JUST GOT KELBY'D

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 13, 2015, 05:51:53 PM
Aw, what the hell, let's post it here:

Cubs
@Sox 3-0
DET 1-1
ATL 3-1
CLE 1-0
@SF 1-2
@LA 1-2
CIN 3-0
AZ  2-1
@STL 2-1
@PHL  4-0
@PIT 2-2
STL 3-0
MIL 3-0
PIT 2-1
KC 1-0
@CIN 2-1
@ MIL 3-0

37-11 the rest of the way for a 102-60 record

PIT
@STL (tonight) 1-0
@NYM 2-1
AZ 3-0
SF 2-2
@MIA 3-1
COL 3-0
@MIL 2-1
@STL 2-1
@CIN 2-1
MIL 4-0
CUBS 2-2
@LAD 1-2
@COL 3-1
@CUBS 1-2
STL 2-1
CIN 3-0

36-15 the rest of the way for a 101-61 record

STL
PIT 0-1 (tonight)
MIA 2-1
SF 1-2
@SD 3-0
@AZ 3-1
@SF 0-3
WAS 2-1
PIT 1-2
CUBS 1-2
@CIN 3-1
@MIL 2-1
@CUBS 0-3
CIN 3-0
MIL 3-1
@PIT 1-2
@ATL 3-0

28-21 the rest of the way for a 101-61 record.

STOP THIS!  RIGHTNOW!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »
Looks like we've reached the part where the redass Cardinals start throwing at our guys for imaginary slights. Awesome.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: September 18, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
Benches clear tomorrow.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."