News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 157,140 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #555 on: September 18, 2015, 06:59:26 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 18, 2015, 06:47:19 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 18, 2015, 06:40:45 PM
Quote from: PANK! on September 18, 2015, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 18, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 18, 2015, 05:19:00 PM
Joe Maddon's press conference will go down in history as the best speech this side of the Gettysburg Address.

Per Twitter, a video of Maddon's statement should be up shortly on the Daily Herald.

Enjoy: 

http://tinyurl.com/p79sgrp

I just stood up and saluted.

I heard it live on the radio and literally got goosebumps.

I might be way behind the times, but apparently this is a thing and I had no idea:

http://www.csnchicago.com/page/livecubs
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »
Joe Maddon's press conference will go down in history as the best speech this side of the Gettysburg Address.

Per Twitter, a video of Maddon's statement should be up shortly on the Daily Herald.

Enjoy: 

I just went to binnys.com and had a bottle of Malort sent to Joe @ Wrigley Field.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #557 on: September 18, 2015, 08:10:17 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 18, 2015, 07:14:45 PM

Enjoy: 

I just went to binnys.com and had a bottle of Malort sent to Joe @ Wrigley Field.

At least you know it's worth drinking.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »

Enjoy: 

So did I.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #559 on: September 19, 2015, 12:16:26 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 18, 2015, 09:22:32 PM

Enjoy: 

So did I.

What do we think he means by 'we won't start stuff, but we will stop it'?  That could mean they're going to throw back to retaliate, and while I don't think that's what he means, it's not as clear as I'd like.  Maybe it means win the game, but that's kind of hard to guarantee.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #560 on: September 19, 2015, 09:21:58 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 19, 2015, 12:16:26 AM
Quote from: Brownie on September 18, 2015, 09:22:32 PM

Enjoy: 

So did I.

What do we think he means by 'we won't start stuff, but we will stop it'?  That could mean they're going to throw back to retaliate, and while I don't think that's what he means, it's not as clear as I'd like.  Maybe it means win the game, but that's kind of hard to guarantee.

From the full interview, I think he means that the benches will clear.  Maddon said that it would had happened yesterday but for the masterful job of the umpires of keeping control (he is a sly one, buttering up the umps in the first game of a 3 game series).

Wouldn't surprise for Wood to 'pitch inside' in the top of the first today to force the umpires to warn both sides, thus keeping Matheney from his normal tricks. Bet Mathaney  turns redder than his uniform if that happens (an added bonus).
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #561 on: September 19, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »
Taking a page out of the Yankees playbook, the correct response to getting hit is to start mashing homeruns. As much as I'd like to see the Cubs pummel the Cardinals in all ways, I'd much rather see them run up the score if St. Louis starts to get pissy.
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #562 on: September 19, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »

I'm a little confused regarding Joe's comments starting at .30 sec with "furthermore" about the ninth and "playing behind us" and "the next time they do it we're going to run" and getting Rondon warmed up.

Could one of you morans explain this to an old man please.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #563 on: September 19, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 19, 2015, 09:55:01 AM

I'm a little confused regarding Joe's comments starting at .30 sec with "furthermore" about the ninth and "playing behind us" and "the next time they do it we're going to run" and getting Rondon warmed up.

I think there was someone Brenlying about unwritten rules and not running up the score. Joe was saying "fuck that shit. Just because we're already winning doesn't mean we're not going to keep whipping you until your nose bleeds buttermilk." That way they don't have to resort to using a closer.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #564 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »

I think they are 2 separate issues.  He was asked about the Rizzo getting hit, presumably, and answered it, but methinks there must've been some grumbling about the Cubs stealing a base with a 5 run lead and Joe chose that opportunity to discuss that also.  I mean, the issues could be related--Rizzo stole a base after getting hit but I think even without that context, whether the Cardinals were grumbling or Joe was just being pre-emptive,   his point is that the idea of stealing a base with a 5 run lead late in the game representing some sort of poor sportsmanship is bunk, because it only takes a bloop and a blast to make the game close again, unlike the olden days when power wasn't as abundant and a 5-run lead was much safer.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #565 on: September 19, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »

The Cardinals were positioned defensively so the Cubs could get big leads and easily steal bases. And Maddon said that a 5 run lead isn't really that safe in the modern game, so they will always keep adding on. The bonus of having an even larger lead is that they don't need to bother warming up the closer because there's less of a chance of him coming in. Matheny is probably extra-pissed because his tiny brain can't possibly imagine thinking that many steps ahead strategically.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #566 on: September 19, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 19, 2015, 10:27:58 AM

The Cardinals were positioned defensively so the Cubs could get big leads and easily steal bases. And Maddon said that a 5 run lead isn't really that safe in the modern game, so they will always keep adding on. The bonus of having an even larger lead is that they don't need to bother warming up the closer because there's less of a chance of him coming in. Matheny is probably extra-pissed because his tiny brain can't possibly imagine thinking that many steps ahead strategically.

This makes sense but Joe said "the ninth inning" which doesn't fit. Maybe he meant the 8th?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #567 on: September 19, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »

You can either hold the runner on first; or play behind the runner, the better to field your position; not both.  If, by enforcing the unwritten rulebook, you somehow manage to achieve both those things, you are gaining an unfair advantage, regardless of the fucking score.

Christ, the Tards grind my gears.  I fucking love that Joe is calling them on their bullshit.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #568 on: September 19, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 19, 2015, 10:38:53 AM

This makes sense but Joe said "the ninth inning" which doesn't fit. Maybe he meant the 8th?

Probably just confused from all that ANGER.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #569 on: September 19, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
Didn't Whitey Herzog once say, "We'll stop trying to score runs when the other team promises to stop trying to score runs."? Or something to that effect. I'll leave it to CT to let me know if that's irony.