News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Luck  ( 3,875 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Luck
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »
A new HBO series, about horse racing and track habitues, starting in January.  They showed a sneak preview of the first show on Sunday.  It stars Dustin Hoffman, who also produced it, but his part doesn't seem to be the most important.  It has a slew (no pun intended.  Ok. I did intend it) of race track characters who carry several stories along.  It looks like fun, except the dialogue is strange, Mamet-like and almost incoherent.  It requires a certain level of sophistication about horseracing and the parimutual system to get the full benefit of the show.  I don't have that.  But I think that the presentation of the races is about the most thrilling that you will see.  Several of the shots are done with a head camera worn by a jockey, putting the viewer right in the middle of the pack of thundering thoroughbreds (stop me before I alliterate more!).  Even if I don't understand the various plots and dialogue I will continue to watch because of those shots. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Luck
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
Episode 4 put a tingle in my dingle. But I'm a sucker for incoherent David Milch dialogue and intense Michael Mann production.

Hoffman, Nolte and Farina are putting on a clinic. An acting clinic, that is!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
Quote from: R-V on February 21, 2012, 04:56:42 PM
Episode 4 put a tingle in my dingle. But I'm a sucker for incoherent David Milch dialogue and intense Michael Mann production.

When Nolte's horse won that race Nolte looked about 25 years younger.  I have no idea how they did it, but it was stunning.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 21, 2012, 04:56:42 PM

THIS.

I'd also add the foursome of degenerates, Lonnie, Renzo, Jerry, and especially wheelchair bound Marcus.

Everyone involved in the production of The Walking Dead should be forced to watch this show to see how it is done.
And then they should all be fired.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »

Cancelled after 3 horses died during filming.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:01 AM »
Cancelled after a third equine fatality. What a load of horseshit. Assuming the last 2 episodes aren't complete crap, it'll enter the Terriers-Rubicon pantheon of excellent shows that only got one season.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
What can you say?  It is a dangerous sport.  Not just for the jockeys.  By the way.  Is the word "jock" derived from guys who are under 5'6" and 120 pounds?  When you see a race from the jockey's perspective, as you do in this series,  it is impossible to doubt their athleticism.  I am disappointed that this series is ending.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 16, 2012, 01:50:20 PM
By the way.  Is the word "jock" derived from guys who are under 5'6" and 120 pounds?

Better ask Tonker.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 16, 2012, 01:55:21 PM
By the way.  Is the word "jock" derived from guys who are under 5'6" and 120 pounds?

Better ask Tonker.

LEAVE OLEG OUT OF THIS
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 16, 2012, 02:20:24 PM

Better ask Tonker.

LEAVE OLEG OUT OF THIS

Under 120 pounds?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:55 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 16, 2012, 06:01:10 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 16, 2012, 02:20:24 PM

Better ask Tonker.

LEAVE OLEG OUT OF THIS

Under 120 pounds?

I wouldn't rule it out.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 15, 2012, 08:49:01 AMWhat a load of horseshit.

Oho! Are you sure you understand the concept?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
I was absolutely blown away by the final episode.  I read that the death of the horses wasn't the real reason for the cancellation but rather it was low ratings.  If that is the case then the ratings are a fool.  A great series capped off by a great finale.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
When I watched the restaurant scene in the final episode I couldn't help but be reminded of the last scene of the series finale of The Sopranos.  Or the restaurant scene with Michael Corleone in  The Godfather.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 26, 2012, 03:54:34 PM
When I watched the restaurant scene in the final episode I couldn't help but be reminded of the last scene of the series finale of The Sopranos.  Or the restaurant scene with Michael Corleone in  The Godfather.

Because they all take place in restaurants?

Kind of like that one scene in Seinfeld?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"