News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: NBA Hoop Thread (Non-Fro Dog Edition)  ( 91,322 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
NBA Hoop Thread (Non-Fro Dog Edition)
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »
As a fan of the Miami Heat, the Spurs have me truly worried.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=ApLVUnZIbeMQBW.AbAI4R_i8vLYF?gid=2012022026
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: NBA Hoop Thread (Non-Fro Dog Edition)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
[Unattributed random thought from a moron]

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 21, 2012, 12:18:24 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=ApLVUnZIbeMQBW.AbAI4R_i8vLYF?gid=2012022026

I think it would be a lot smarter for you to worry about the Thunder.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 21, 2012, 11:12:07 AM

I've seen both teams play recently and think the Spurs are deeper, smarter, more experienced, better-coached etc. I'm not saying OKC won't win the West. They might but they're in for a fistfight with San Antone. The Playoffs are going to be incredible to watch this year.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 21, 2012, 11:29:39 AM

I've seen both teams play recently and think the Spurs are deeper, smarter, more experienced, better-coached etc. I'm not saying OKC won't win the West. They might but they're in for a fistfight with San Antone. The Playoffs are going to be incredible to watch this year.

The same deeper, smarter, more experienced, better-coached Spurs that won 6 playoffs games combined the last two years with essentially this exact same group of players and coaches?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that there's nothing to support you being right. 
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 21, 2012, 11:35:28 AM

The same deeper, smarter, more experienced, better-coached Spurs that won 6 playoffs games combined the last two years with essentially this exact same group of players and coaches?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that there's nothing to support you being right.  

Their current 11-game winning streak has peaked my interest. Since their last loss, by one point at Dallas on Jan. 29 they've rattled off 11 straight, beating OKC and the Clippers in L.A. along the way. Tim Duncan is averaging 28.6 minutes per game this season. Popovich has been known for conserving the minutes of his star players in hopes of having them fresh for the playoffs - and he's won four NBA titles by the way so I tend to trust his judgement when it comes to having his team ready for playoff basketball. I think that type of approach is extremely crucial during this brutal lockout schedule. If the Spurs are able to take on all comers with this approach and nab the top seed - they're currently just two games behind the Thunder - they'll be ready to unleash the hounds during the real season. Watching them play now, with Duncan and the other stars not logging heavy minutes, I can only imagine what that full-on approach is going to look like.

I didn't watch much NBA basketball last year so I don't know what their problems were or why they failed to advance in the postseason. But looking up and down that roster right now, I see guys who really play well in a tried and true system and I look forward to sitting back and seeing how this all plays out.

By the way, they play at Portland tonight at 10 ET on NBA TV. Check 'em out.

EDIT: This happened.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/04/30/spurs-popovich.ap/index.html

Popovich: Top-seeded Spurs derailed by injuries

Posted Apr 30 2011 3:10PM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Coach Gregg Popovich says injuries to Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili robbed the 61-win San Antonio Spurs of their rhythm heading into the playoffs.

Popovich said Saturday he wasn't making excuses after the Spurs became just the fourth No. 1 seed in NBA history to lose in the first round, falling to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 6 on Friday night.

But Popovich said the Spurs were never the same after Duncan sprained his left ankle in late March and Ginobili hurt his right elbow in the last regular-season game.

San Antonio finished the season 6-12, including the playoffs, after Duncan was injured March 21.

Popovich said his roster won't undergo drastic changes, though Antonio McDyess is leaning toward retirement.

So, yeah. That could happen again. But if it doesn't, look the fuck out.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:11 PM »
Parker and Duncan sitting out tonight in Portland. Ok.

Miami wins its seventh straight against young, (s)crappy Sacramento. All seven wins have come by 10 points or more. I like sports.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 21, 2012, 11:55:10 AM

Their current 11-game winning streak has peaked my interest. Since their last loss, by one point at Dallas on Jan. 29 they've rattled off 11 straight, beating OKC and the Clippers in L.A. along the way. Tim Duncan is averaging 28.6 minutes per game this season. Popovich has been known for conserving the minutes of his star players in hopes of having them fresh for the playoffs - and he's won four NBA titles by the way so I tend to trust his judgement when it comes to having his team ready for playoff basketball. I think that type of approach is extremely crucial during this brutal lockout schedule. If the Spurs are able to take on all comers with this approach and nab the top seed - they're currently just two games behind the Thunder - they'll be ready to unleash the hounds during the real season. Watching them play now, with Duncan and the other stars not logging heavy minutes, I can only imagine what that full-on approach is going to look like.

I didn't watch much NBA basketball last year so I don't know what their problems were or why they failed to advance in the postseason. But looking up and down that roster right now, I see guys who really play well in a tried and true system and I look forward to sitting back and seeing how this all plays out.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Coach Gregg Popovich says injuries to Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili robbed the 61-win San Antonio Spurs of their rhythm heading into the playoffs.

Popovich said Saturday he wasn't making excuses after the Spurs became just the fourth No. 1 seed in NBA history to lose in the first round, falling to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 6 on Friday night.

But Popovich said the Spurs were never the same after Duncan sprained his left ankle in late March and Ginobili hurt his right elbow in the last regular-season game.

San Antonio finished the season 6-12, including the playoffs, after Duncan was injured March 21.

Popovich said his roster won't undergo drastic changes, though Antonio McDyess is leaning toward retirement.

It wasn't just 2011 - they got swept by the Suns in 2010. 

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 22, 2012, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 21, 2012, 11:55:10 AM

It wasn't just 2011 - they got swept by the Suns in 2010.  

So obviously that's exactly what's going to happen this year. My bad.

My thought, and it could be completely wrong in the end, is that the Spurs are the team to beat in the West because of their experience, their coaching and their intelligence. The rigors of the schedule have most teams in disarray. Riddled by injury and fatigue, unable to practice regularly, teams are struggling to find an identity and play anything resembling consistent NBA-caliber team basketball. The Spurs are affected less by those factors because of the continuity of the roster, the experience of their star players in the post-season and the ability of their coach to mold them into his system on the fly. When you watch them play at something close to full-strength right now, they look calm, collected and deadly in crunch time. Their record bears that out.

I will either be right or wrong about this. I don't really care which.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 22, 2012, 11:32:46 AM

My thought, and it could be completely wrong in the end, is that the Spurs are the team to beat in the West because of their experience, their coaching and their intelligence. The rigors of the schedule have most teams in disarray. Riddled by injury and fatigue, unable to practice regularly, teams are struggling to find an identity and play anything resembling consistent NBA-caliber team basketball. The Spurs are affected less by those factors because of the continuity of the roster, the experience of their star players in the post-season and the ability of their coach to mold them into his system on the fly. When you watch them play at something close to full-strength right now, they look calm, collected and deadly in crunch time. Their record bears that out.

My point, from the beginning of this now-terrible argument (that is officially too long to post now), is that this team that you're pimping is essentially exactly the same as the last two years and both times they've had quick exits from the playoffs.  

All the reasons you're citing as evidence for why they're the team to beat in the West (experience, coaching, intelligence) have proven to be wholly insufficient for four years running, as the last time they made the finals was 06-07.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 22, 2012, 11:57:35 AM

My point, from the beginning of this now-terrible argument (that is officially too long to post now), is that this team that you're pimping is essentially exactly the same as the last two years and both times they've had quick exits from the playoffs.  

All the reasons you're citing as evidence for why they're the team to beat in the West (experience, coaching, intelligence) have proven to be wholly insufficient for four years running, as the last time they made the finals was 06-07.

You're neglecting the part of my posts where I keep saying that the lockout makes this year different from previous years because of the schedule and that the above factors make the Spurs uniquely qualified to take advantage. I don't know why you keep doing that. But you're right, this argument sucks.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 22, 2012, 12:00:53 PM

You're neglecting the part of my posts where I keep saying that the lockout makes this year different from previous years because of the schedule and that the above factors make the Spurs uniquely qualified to take advantage. I don't know why you keep doing that. But you're right, this argument sucks.

A shortened, demanding schedule helps an old as hell, injury proned team how?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 22, 2012, 12:13:57 PM

B/c Apex knows black people.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »

I just explained how.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 22, 2012, 01:04:19 PM

I just explained how.

That's what you were doing? I had no idea.