News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: NBA Hoop Thread (Non-Fro Dog Edition)  ( 91,357 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: NBA Hoop Thread (Non-Fro Dog Edition)
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 05, 2014, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 05, 2014, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 05, 2014, 11:33:27 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 05, 2014, 08:40:33 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 05, 2014, 04:30:23 AM
So.....Carmelo?

no

Okay, thanks!

I think the Bulls would want him and the Knicks are a complete dead end. The Bulls don't have a ton of cap space and would have to get creative. Aside from that, nobody is sure who would be coaching here. His wife's career is also a factor in his decision-making process. If he's all about taking less money to win a championship, Miami would be a more attractive option. If he wants the most money and could give a shit about winning, New York is where he'd rather stay.

Would his presence on their current roster with the current coach be enough to beat Indiana or Miami in a playoff series? Even with a healthy Derrick Rose, I think that's highly questionable.

If you want a serious free agent to covet, one who they could probably afford and would fit their system and philosophy, start thinking about Lance Stephenson.

If you added an actually-healthy Rose and Melo to the current Bulls roster, which is the third seed in the East based almost entirely on voodoo, I think they'd be better than "highly questionable" to beat Indiana or Miami. Maybe not the favorite, but certainly a reasonable shot.

Of course, I don't think they can simply add Melo to the current roster and make it work. So that's a moot point.

You call it voodoo? I call it doo doo, as in there are only two serious teams in the conference and the Bulls have feasted on the bones of the sub.-500 dregs. They're 12-16 vs. .500+ which seems about right. This is the perfect year for them to over-achieve. I suppose that with Rose and Melo around the offense would improve substantially, but those two would hurt the defense as well.

At some point, I hope they do manage to stay healthy through the summer so we can finally find out where the line between just trying really hard and being really good actually lands. It's all conjecture at this point and I think everybody who cares about basketball is sick of it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 05, 2014, 12:38:01 PM
Quote from: Eli on March 05, 2014, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 05, 2014, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 05, 2014, 11:33:27 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 05, 2014, 08:40:33 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 05, 2014, 04:30:23 AM
So.....Carmelo?

no

Okay, thanks!

I think the Bulls would want him and the Knicks are a complete dead end. The Bulls don't have a ton of cap space and would have to get creative. Aside from that, nobody is sure who would be coaching here. His wife's career is also a factor in his decision-making process. If he's all about taking less money to win a championship, Miami would be a more attractive option. If he wants the most money and could give a shit about winning, New York is where he'd rather stay.

Would his presence on their current roster with the current coach be enough to beat Indiana or Miami in a playoff series? Even with a healthy Derrick Rose, I think that's highly questionable.

If you want a serious free agent to covet, one who they could probably afford and would fit their system and philosophy, start thinking about Lance Stephenson.

If you added an actually-healthy Rose and Melo to the current Bulls roster, which is the third seed in the East based almost entirely on voodoo, I think they'd be better than "highly questionable" to beat Indiana or Miami. Maybe not the favorite, but certainly a reasonable shot.

Of course, I don't think they can simply add Melo to the current roster and make it work. So that's a moot point.

You call it voodoo? I call it doo doo, as in there are only two serious teams in the conference and the Bulls have feasted on the bones of the sub.-500 dregs. They're 12-16 vs. .500+ which seems about right. This is the perfect year for them to over-achieve. I suppose that with Rose and Melo around the offense would improve substantially, but those two would hurt the defense as well.

At some point, I hope they do manage to stay healthy through the summer so we can finally find out where the line between just trying really hard and being really good actually lands. It's all conjecture at this point and I think everybody who cares about basketball is sick of it.

Agreed. Let's reconvene after the Bulls acquire Stephenson. And Kevin Love for pennies on the dollar. In the meantime we can toy with our dingles while checking minor league box scores.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: March 05, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2014, 12:52:47 PM
Agreed. Let's reconvene after the Bulls acquire Stephenson. And Kevin Love for pennies on the dollar. In the meantime we can toy with our dingles while checking minor league box scores.

Ah, the joys of being a Chicago sports fan.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: March 05, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 05, 2014, 01:56:34 PM
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2014, 12:52:47 PM

Ah, the joys of being a Chicago sports fan.

I actually am excited to follow the minor leagues this year. And I'm interested to see what Emery does this offseason. We're going to be swimming in titles in the very near future Eli, so let's just enjoy the calm before the trophy storm.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: March 05, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 05, 2014, 12:38:01 PM
You call it voodoo? I call it doo doo

BOOM ROASTED
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2014, 09:32:48 PM »
No, Pex.

1. Indiana over 8. Atlanta, 4-1
2. Miami over 7. Charlotte, 4-1
6. Brooklyn over 3. Toronto, 4-3
5. Washington over 4. Chicago 4-2

1. Indiana over 5. Washington, 4-2
2. Miami over 6. Brooklyn, 4-3

2. Miami over 1. Indiana, 4-2

Finals: San Antonio over Miami 4-3

Finals MVP: Tim Duncan

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 16, 2014, 09:32:48 PM
No, Pex.

1. Indiana over 8. Atlanta, 4-1
2. Miami over 7. Charlotte, 4-1
6. Brooklyn over 3. Toronto, 4-3
5. Washington over 4. Chicago 4-2

1. Indiana over 5. Washington, 4-2
2. Miami over 6. Brooklyn, 4-3

2. Miami over 1. Indiana, 4-2

Finals: San Antonio over Miami 4-3

Finals MVP: Tim Duncan

Goddamn it.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
A whole lot of words about Joakim in Sports Illustrated. 

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 17, 2014, 04:24:14 PM

I'll add a few:

Overrated
Smelly
Gross

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
That wasn't very nice. I'm sorry.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 18, 2014, 09:31:10 AM

I'll add a few:

Overrated
Smelly
Gross

Noah's play this year has been incredible. He's taken on a bigger leadership role and actually drives the offense, while playing outstanding defense. He's doing things this year no other center has done in a long time, and putting the team ahead of himself the entire time. I hope he never plays for another team. Also good work by Thibs and the coaching staff on the offensive side of things, getting the most out of Noah and this slapdick assembly of offensive players.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 18, 2014, 09:31:10 AM

I'll add a few:

Overrated
Smelly
Gross

I liked this. I'm sure you'll love it, too.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: April 18, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
There's no way in hell the Wizards beat the Bulls. I think it's funny that Apex would even suggest it.

If I'm wrong I'll come back here and pretend like I wasn't.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: April 18, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 18, 2014, 02:11:55 PM
There's no way in hell the Wizards beat the Bulls. I think it's funny that Apex would even suggest it.

I hope the Bulls do get beat and swept. I have to buy Playoff Game C. So that's either game 5 of round 1 or Game 1 of round 2. I don't want the tickets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 18, 2014, 02:11:55 PM

The fourth and fifth seeds in the shittiest conference in the history of professional major American sports are squaring off and you say there's no way in hell one of them loses? I appreciate your fandom but that's clouding your judgement here. I think the Bulls could win but I just don't think they have enough offense to win  consistently when the games actually matter. And with Wall and Beal, the Wizards are never out of a game. They'll keep coming at you. They move the ball, they shoot well and spread the court. They're a tough matchup for any team. I have them taking this. Washington won 2 of 3 from the Bulls in the regular season. With most matchups you'd throw that right out but the Bulls don't have an on/off switch like most teams do. They go balls to the wall all season long. What you see is what you get.