News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: First Concert  ( 25,052 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: First Concert
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 05:15:43 AM
DPD.  Hah, I've just realised that I'd actually forgotten my very, very first gig, which was a year earlier:

Iron Maiden, supported by Anthrax, at the NEC, Birmingham, 1990.

That's nothing to be ashamed of, either.  Maiden rocked, and Anthrax might even have been better.  Still the first and only arena concert that I've ever been to, though - I figured out pretty quickly that I preferred more intimate settings.

Ashamed? That's awesome.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 21, 2012, 09:30:02 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 05:11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure REM were still cool in 1989.  Nowadays, if they played in my back garden, I'd close the curtains.  My first gig is something that I'm very proud of - indeed, each of my first three were, even with the benefit of hindsight, pretty fucking cool:

First: Jellyfish, supported by Katydids (who?) at the Town and Country, Kentish Town, London, 1991.

Second:  Blur, supported by Family Cat (who?) at the Kilburn National, Kilburn, London, 1991.

Third:  Carter USM, supported by The Inspiral Carpets at the Brixton Academy, Brixton, London, 1991.

Jellyfish is still one of my top three gigs ever - up there with Weller (in Munich) and Damien Rice (also in Munich).  Those boys had more fucking talent than a hundred Biebers or Rihannas, and it was a crying shame when they split up after just two albums: albums which I have absolutely worn out, and yet still sound as fresh and interesting as they did the day they were released.

Best band I've seen recently was "Buster Shuffle", at the Bitterzoet in Amsterdam.  Top ska band and destined for (relatively) great things, I think.  Check them out on Spotify.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

DPD.  Hah, I've just realised that I'd actually forgotten my very, very first gig, which was a year earlier:

That's nothing to be ashamed of, either.  Maiden rocked, and Anthrax might even have been better.  Still the first and only arena concert that I've ever been to, though - I figured out pretty quickly that I preferred more intimate settings.

Nothing wrong with any of this.  Just goes to prove, Tonker is way fucking cooler than I will ever hope to be.

My saving grace of my wasted youth in the late 80s (musically speaking) was my discovery of Jellyfish.  I have no idea how i found them among the garbage to which I was listening.  I remember liking them a lot, along with a band called Gene & Jezebel.

I then discovered Music for the Masses and Grateful Dead and the skies cleared...the 90s were all full of Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails and REM and good shit.  Thank athiesmo.

Mate, you're the coolest dude I know.  Apart from Slak, clearly.  Slak is the coolest dude any of us knows.

Well, at least I've got you fooled.

My first concert was MC Hammer supported by Boyz II Men at Rosemont and I went backstage and got my picture taken with MC Hammer. He was not yet Hammer, I don't think. I was definitely 12 so I think I get a pass.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
1. 1986 - Peter Gabriel "So" at Madison Square Garden.
2. 1991 - Van Halen "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" at Meadowlands. Opening Act - Alice in Chains.
3. 1992 - Santana @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Opening Act - Phish.

And I bought this shirt for $35.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on February 21, 2012, 11:18:48 AM
2. 1991 - Van Halen "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" at Meadowlands. Opening Act - Alice in Chains.

Bit of a hiatus there, great mate - banged up, were you?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 11:21:38 AM
Quote from: PenPho on February 21, 2012, 11:18:48 AM

Bit of a hiatus there, great mate - banged up, were you?

Between '86 and '91?

Well, I was 10 years old, to be fair (in '86.)

After '92, there was a string of Dead/JGB/Further and Phish shows that I tripped my way through until I became this old guy.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 21, 2012, 11:02:48 AM
My first concert was MC Hammer supported by Boyz II Men at Rosemont and I went backstage and got my picture taken with MC Hammer. He was not yet Hammer, I don't think. I was definitely 12 so I think I get a pass.

You mean you didn't get to meet The Funky Headhunter?

Edit: Upon further review, he was already just "Hammer" by the time "Too Legit to Quit"* was released in 1991.

*My first CD
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
David Bowie. 2004? Maybe 2005. The Mark of the Quad Cities. He didn't do Space Oddity and focused mostly on his newest stuff. Man Who Sold the World was good. Had his bald female guitarist cover Freddie Mercury's part in Under Pressure. Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed, but the chick next to us had huge hogans and everyone got an eyefull at some point, so that's what I remember most.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
I was sixteen, 1975, Halloween night.
Frank Zappa, at the Uptown Theater.
A 4500 seat monster built in 1925. Like so many of the old theaters it is shuttered now.
It's a local thing.

FZ used to play every year in Chicago on Mother's Day and on Halloween night, usually at the Uptown. He played for over 3 hard working hours at all his shows.  
After that first time I made sure skinny teenage flannj saw him every show.

Fastest guitarist I have ever seen live. A great way to start off a concert going youth.

For all you youngsters that never made it inside the Uptown, the lobby...

Don't let the old photo throw you, that place was a hole.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
Quote from: flannj on February 22, 2012, 09:29:38 AM
I was sixteen, 1975, Halloween night.
Frank Zappa, at the Uptown Theater.
A 4500 seat monster built in 1925. Like so many of the old theaters it is shuttered now.
It's a local thing.

FZ used to play every year in Chicago on Mother's Day and on Halloween night, usually at the Uptown. He played for over 3 hard working hours at all his shows.  
After that first time I made sure skinny teenage flannj saw him every show.

Fastest guitarist I have ever seen live. A great way to start off a concert going youth.

For all you youngsters that never made it inside the Uptown, the lobby...

Don't let the old photo throw you, that place was a hole.

Double features every Saturday night. Keep your feet up to avoid the rats.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BigDrinky

• Idiot Savant
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
Rush, Palmer Auditorium, Davenport IA on February 22, 1981.  I was sixteen years old and I don't remember anything except the concert aroma and what a dump Palmer Auditorium was.  Of course, neither stopped me from seeing quite a few more shows there over the next few years. 

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »

Bruce Springsteen, September 1985, the Orange Bowl (Born in the USA Tour).  Never really had that great taste in music (although they were also the first tickets I had bought online).  Ironically, I did marry a Jersey girl who used to hang out at a Mexican Restaurant in Rumsen NJ (as Bruuuce was known to hang out there). 
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 02:21:54 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on February 22, 2012, 09:27:35 PM

Bruce Springsteen, September 1985, the Orange Bowl (Born in the USA Tour).  Never really had that great taste in music (although they were also the first tickets I had bought online).  Ironically, I did marry a Jersey girl who used to hang out at a Mexican Restaurant in Rumsen NJ (as Bruuuce was known to hang out there). 

I'm pretty sure that's not ironic.  CT?

Also, you bought tickets online in 1985?  Really?  Jesus, I didn't get the interwebs until about eight years after that.  God Bless America.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 23, 2012, 02:21:54 AM

Also, you bought tickets online in 1985?  Really?  Jesus, I didn't get the interwebs until about eight years after that.  God Bless America.

Seriously - how the hell?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 23, 2012, 02:21:54 AM

I'm gonna go with no on the irony.

And as long as I'm in this thread - first concert was AC/DC at the Rosemont Horizon in 1991.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 21, 2012, 11:02:48 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 21, 2012, 09:30:02 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 05:11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure REM were still cool in 1989.  Nowadays, if they played in my back garden, I'd close the curtains.  My first gig is something that I'm very proud of - indeed, each of my first three were, even with the benefit of hindsight, pretty fucking cool:

First: Jellyfish, supported by Katydids (who?) at the Town and Country, Kentish Town, London, 1991.

Second:  Blur, supported by Family Cat (who?) at the Kilburn National, Kilburn, London, 1991.

Third:  Carter USM, supported by The Inspiral Carpets at the Brixton Academy, Brixton, London, 1991.

Jellyfish is still one of my top three gigs ever - up there with Weller (in Munich) and Damien Rice (also in Munich).  Those boys had more fucking talent than a hundred Biebers or Rihannas, and it was a crying shame when they split up after just two albums: albums which I have absolutely worn out, and yet still sound as fresh and interesting as they did the day they were released.

Best band I've seen recently was "Buster Shuffle", at the Bitterzoet in Amsterdam.  Top ska band and destined for (relatively) great things, I think.  Check them out on Spotify.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

DPD.  Hah, I've just realised that I'd actually forgotten my very, very first gig, which was a year earlier:

That's nothing to be ashamed of, either.  Maiden rocked, and Anthrax might even have been better.  Still the first and only arena concert that I've ever been to, though - I figured out pretty quickly that I preferred more intimate settings.

Nothing wrong with any of this.  Just goes to prove, Tonker is way fucking cooler than I will ever hope to be.

My saving grace of my wasted youth in the late 80s (musically speaking) was my discovery of Jellyfish.  I have no idea how i found them among the garbage to which I was listening.  I remember liking them a lot, along with a band called Gene & Jezebel.

I then discovered Music for the Masses and Grateful Dead and the skies cleared...the 90s were all full of Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails and REM and good shit.  Thank athiesmo.

Mate, you're the coolest dude I know.  Apart from Slak, clearly.  Slak is the coolest dude any of us knows.

Well, at least I've got you fooled.

How did Apex get Slak's login info?

Mine was Genesis, August 1982 as I recall it.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.