News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: First Concert  ( 25,062 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: First Concert
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 23, 2012, 09:44:25 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 21, 2012, 11:02:48 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 21, 2012, 09:30:02 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 05:11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure REM were still cool in 1989.  Nowadays, if they played in my back garden, I'd close the curtains.  My first gig is something that I'm very proud of - indeed, each of my first three were, even with the benefit of hindsight, pretty fucking cool:

First: Jellyfish, supported by Katydids (who?) at the Town and Country, Kentish Town, London, 1991.

Second:  Blur, supported by Family Cat (who?) at the Kilburn National, Kilburn, London, 1991.

Third:  Carter USM, supported by The Inspiral Carpets at the Brixton Academy, Brixton, London, 1991.

Jellyfish is still one of my top three gigs ever - up there with Weller (in Munich) and Damien Rice (also in Munich).  Those boys had more fucking talent than a hundred Biebers or Rihannas, and it was a crying shame when they split up after just two albums: albums which I have absolutely worn out, and yet still sound as fresh and interesting as they did the day they were released.

Best band I've seen recently was "Buster Shuffle", at the Bitterzoet in Amsterdam.  Top ska band and destined for (relatively) great things, I think.  Check them out on Spotify.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2012, 05:15:43 AM
DPD.  Hah, I've just realised that I'd actually forgotten my very, very first gig, which was a year earlier:

Iron Maiden, supported by Anthrax, at the NEC, Birmingham, 1990.

That's nothing to be ashamed of, either.  Maiden rocked, and Anthrax might even have been better.  Still the first and only arena concert that I've ever been to, though - I figured out pretty quickly that I preferred more intimate settings.

Nothing wrong with any of this.  Just goes to prove, Tonker is way fucking cooler than I will ever hope to be.

My saving grace of my wasted youth in the late 80s (musically speaking) was my discovery of Jellyfish.  I have no idea how i found them among the garbage to which I was listening.  I remember liking them a lot, along with a band called Gene & Jezebel.

I then discovered Music for the Masses and Grateful Dead and the skies cleared...the 90s were all full of Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails and REM and good shit.  Thank athiesmo.

Mate, you're the coolest dude I know.  Apart from Slak, clearly.  Slak is the coolest dude any of us knows.

Well, at least I've got you fooled.

My first concert was MC Hammer supported by Boyz II Men at Rosemont and I went backstage and got my picture taken with MC Hammer. He was not yet Hammer, I don't think. I was definitely 12 so I think I get a pass.

How did Apex get Slak's login info?

Mine was Genesis, August 1982 as I recall it.

Abacab? 

Who drove you?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure REM were still cool in 1989.  Nowadays, if they played in my back garden, I'd close the curtains.  My first gig is something that I'm very proud of - indeed, each of my first three were, even with the benefit of hindsight, pretty fucking cool:

First: Jellyfish, supported by Katydids (who?) at the Town and Country, Kentish Town, London, 1991.

Second:  Blur, supported by Family Cat (who?) at the Kilburn National, Kilburn, London, 1991.

Third:  Carter USM, supported by The Inspiral Carpets at the Brixton Academy, Brixton, London, 1991.

Jellyfish is still one of my top three gigs ever - up there with Weller (in Munich) and Damien Rice (also in Munich).  Those boys had more fucking talent than a hundred Biebers or Rihannas, and it was a crying shame when they split up after just two albums: albums which I have absolutely worn out, and yet still sound as fresh and interesting as they did the day they were released.

Best band I've seen recently was "Buster Shuffle", at the Bitterzoet in Amsterdam.  Top ska band and destined for (relatively) great things, I think.  Check them out on Spotify.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

DPD.  Hah, I've just realised that I'd actually forgotten my very, very first gig, which was a year earlier:

That's nothing to be ashamed of, either.  Maiden rocked, and Anthrax might even have been better.  Still the first and only arena concert that I've ever been to, though - I figured out pretty quickly that I preferred more intimate settings.

Nothing wrong with any of this.  Just goes to prove, Tonker is way fucking cooler than I will ever hope to be.

My saving grace of my wasted youth in the late 80s (musically speaking) was my discovery of Jellyfish.  I have no idea how i found them among the garbage to which I was listening.  I remember liking them a lot, along with a band called Gene & Jezebel.

I then discovered Music for the Masses and Grateful Dead and the skies cleared...the 90s were all full of Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails and REM and good shit.  Thank athiesmo.

Mate, you're the coolest dude I know.  Apart from Slak, clearly.  Slak is the coolest dude any of us knows.

My first concert was MC Hammer supported by Boyz II Men at Rosemont and I went backstage and got my picture taken with MC Hammer. He was not yet Hammer, I don't think. I was definitely 12 so I think I get a pass.

Ahem.

Cypress Hill with Tha Pharcyde and 311, Indianapolis Convention Center 1995. I figured 311 had to be first, because, who the fuck were they? So we showed up halfway through Tha Pharcyde's set. (doh!) But I did get to meet them afterward as they were just roaming around in the audience during 311's lame set. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
1994.  Fight, Candlebox, Suicidal Tendencies, and Metallica at UNM Football Stadium.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 23, 2012, 09:46:44 AM

Abacab? 

Who drove you?

Your mom.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 23, 2012, 10:20:44 AM
Quote from: PANK! on February 23, 2012, 09:46:44 AM

Abacab? 

Who drove you?

Your mom.

I laughed.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
My first two concerts were Van Hagar in '91 and then Aerosmith in '93 (with Jackyl as the opener), both at the World Music Theater sitting in the lawn. We missed most of Jackyl because halfway there my buddy realized he left the tickets at home so we had to go all the way back to get them.

I also saw some kind of concert sponsored by the Loop around that time with Johnny B and Kevin Mathews. A pre-Conan era Brian McCann did stand up too.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on February 21, 2012, 09:06:37 AM
Dave Matthews Band
Soldier Field. 

Epic. Geigh.

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
This thread is driving me batshit because I can't remember my first concert. I'm pretty sure it was either Dave Matthews Band, G Love & the Special Sauce, or Jack Johnson. In any case I probably snuck a couple of Keystones in my carpenter jean pockets. I have way more in common with Grand Wizard Tdubbs than I care to admit.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 23, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 23, 2012, 02:21:54 AM
Quote from: thehawk on February 22, 2012, 09:27:35 PM

Bruce Springsteen, September 1985, the Orange Bowl (Born in the USA Tour).  Never really had that great taste in music (although they were also the first tickets I had bought online).  Ironically, I did marry a Jersey girl who used to hang out at a Mexican Restaurant in Rumsen NJ (as Bruuuce was known to hang out there). 

I'm pretty sure that's not ironic.  CT?

Also, you bought tickets online in 1985?  Really?  Jesus, I didn't get the interwebs until about eight years after that.  God Bless America.

Seriously - how the hell?

An Apple IIe, a 300 Baud modem, and Viewtron software  (which was a teletext service which I recall became Prodigy, but I may be wrong).  Ticketmaster reserved some tickets for users of the service, which worked about as well as you would think it would.  The good news was, since they had no users, I was able to get a few tickets.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on February 23, 2012, 01:55:32 PM

Bruce Springsteen, September 1985, the Orange Bowl (Born in the USA Tour).  Never really had that great taste in music (although they were also the first tickets I had bought online).  Ironically, I did marry a Jersey girl who used to hang out at a Mexican Restaurant in Rumsen NJ (as Bruuuce was known to hang out there). 

Also, you bought tickets online in 1985?  Really?  Jesus, I didn't get the interwebs until about eight years after that.  God Bless America.

An Apple IIe, a 300 Baud modem, and Viewtron software  (which was a teletext service which I recall became Prodigy, but I may be wrong).  Ticketmaster reserved some tickets for users of the service, which worked about as well as you would think it would.  The good news was, since they had no users, I was able to get a few tickets.

Hawk was ahead of the technological curve in 1985.

And, if everything I've heard about his Walkman is true, I guess he was more than happy to stay there.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 23, 2012, 02:09:08 PM

And, if everything I've heard about his Walkman is true, I guess he was more than happy to stay there.

Hawk buying things online in the Reagan Era, but walking around with a Walkman in the Obama era.  Tell me that's not ironic.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 23, 2012, 02:14:02 PM

Hawk buying things online in the Reagan Era, but walking around with a Walkman in the Obama era.  Tell me that's not ironic.

A Walkman, like with tapes? I saw a dude with a discman today and thought that was crazy.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 23, 2012, 02:14:02 PM

More or less my point.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
Early adopter, late discarder.  The whole Walkman thing was basically a way to carry an OK AM radio that could get WGN in the Loop.  It still is a more stable way to get a cubs game than streaming audio using 3G coverage downtown (although I've moved to an Iphone)

I do remember that my best friend back in 1985 had the OG Walkman.  The thing felt like it was made from a solid block of aluminum.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.