News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: First Concert  ( 25,052 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: First Concert
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
Shit, I bought my first CD player at the end of 1983, and Crazy Eddie's was clearing them out, thinking they had a dud on their hands. They even threw in 5 CDs...

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Prince - Purple Rain
Some god-awful Who "Best-of", including the single version of "Won't Get Fooled Again"
Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife
Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads

Yep, Bryan Adams.

Bryan. Fucking. Adams.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 05, 2012, 12:48:53 PM
Shit, I bought my first CD player at the end of 1983, and Crazy Eddie's was clearing them out, thinking they had a dud on their hands. They even threw in 5 CDs...

Prince - Purple Rain
Some god-awful Who "Best-of", including the single version of "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Yep, Bryan Adams.

Bryan. Fucking. Adams.

Now I'm wondering if I can reconstruct the 13 albums that I got the first time I joined Columbia House.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on March 05, 2012, 01:08:38 PM

Prince - Purple Rain

Yep, Bryan Adams.

Bryan. Fucking. Adams.

Now I'm wondering if I can reconstruct the 13 albums that I got the first time I joined Columbia House.

13? You obviously left a couple of those little boxes unfilled.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
Oh, we've moved on to CDs?  My first CD purchase was REM's Dead Letter Office - the extended version that included Chronic Town.

Also, Apex... I don't think you know what "winning" means.

And Columbia House... oy, what a scam.  Of course, that didn't stop me from signing up to get my x free CDs.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on March 05, 2012, 02:27:33 PM
Oh, we've moved on to CDs?  My first CD purchase was REM's Dead Letter Office - the extended version that included Chronic Town.

And Columbia House... oy, what a scam.  Of course, that didn't stop me from signing up to get my x free CDs.

Columbia House was awesome because, at one point, they'd let you buy their deeply discounted box sets and count them towards your membership fulfillment requirements.

I got a Coltrane box set for like 20 bucks that way.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 05, 2012, 02:41:43 PM

Columbia House was awesome because, at one point, they'd let you buy their deeply discounted box sets and count them towards your membership fulfillment requirements.

Columbia House was also awesome because if you were under 18 and defaulted on the eventual monthly membership, they couldn't legally go after you.  Or so I was told.

My first CD was Houses of the Holy which I bought second-hand in 1992.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
Oh yeah...first CD.

Sisters Of Mercy ... I forget which one.  Sometime in the early 90s.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »

It means I had better music taste from the get-go than any Bruce-chugging cracker in this thread. And I stand by it until Stew gets here and raves about the Mozart concert he took in.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 05, 2012, 02:41:43 PM

BMG always had cheaper box sets and required less for the obligation.
TIME TO POST!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 05, 2012, 01:39:08 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on March 05, 2012, 01:08:38 PM

Prince - Purple Rain

Yep, Bryan Adams.

Bryan. Fucking. Adams.

13? You obviously left a couple of those little boxes unfilled.

No, I think in 1977 it was 12 plus one offered half-price toward what you had to buy.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 04:15:54 PM »

Prince - Purple Rain

Yep, Bryan Adams.

Bryan. Fucking. Adams.

I once bought "The Best of Gary Numan", only to get it home and discover that it didn't have "Cars" or "Are Friends Electric?".  It should have been called "The Rest of Gary Numan".
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
First concert was Death Cab for Cutie with Youth Group.

#ghey #notwinningthisthreadlikeapex #hashtags
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 05, 2012, 05:08:23 PM
First concert was Death Cab for Cutie with Youth Group.

#ghey #notwinningthisthreadlikeapex #hashtags

Are you old enough to be posting here?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
Oh, and the first concert was the Police at the Rosemont Horizon. Can't remember whether Joan Jett or the Go-Go's opened that one. The entire town should be razed on general principles.

First concert with a head full of mushrooms, on the other hand, was Corky Siegel at the Woodstock Opera House. Fantastic.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
Hmmm.  Like most people who were 7 in 1983, my first lp was Thriller.

First cassette I bought with my own money was R.E.M.'s Document.

First CD was the Clash On Broadway box set.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck