News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,122 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 13, 2013, 01:09:24 PM
Quote from: BH on November 13, 2013, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 13, 2013, 11:06:01 AM
Jon Heyman thinks the Cubs might swap some of their big bat prospects for some of Miami's big arm prospects.  Having to play for Loria's little plaything in that very-Miami stadium just seems cruel.

What Heyman is trying to say is that every team wants Vitters and/or Brett Jackson and are willing to give up their best pitching prospects for either.

I'm fine with this.  TRAYD UM

Intrepid Reader: Oleg

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah... woah. Woah. Jose Fernandez or no fucking deal.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
I want the Cardinals to trade Oscar Taveras to the Rays (among other St. Louis prospects) for David Price only to lose in the first round and watch Price sign with the Cubs as a free agent. Please.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2014, 09:38:34 PM
I want the Cardinals to trade Oscar Taveras to the Rays (among other St. Louis prospects) for David Price only to lose in the first round and watch Price sign with the Cubs as a free agent. Please.

Do the Cardinals get yet another first round draft pick for that?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2014, 01:19:30 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 25, 2014, 11:16:11 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2014, 09:38:34 PM

Do the Cardinals get yet another first round draft pick for that?

Probably.  He's arb-eligible after next season I think.  So the trade can happen in the middle of next year when he's not compensation-eligible.  But after Taveras establishes himself, maybe, so they won't want to trade him.  Damn it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
TRADE FUGGIN DEADLINE!

Yoenis Cespedes to Boston, which makes no sense unless they're re-signing him.
Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes to Oakland.

Lots of Twitter twatheads helpfully informed me that this is in fact a BLOCKBUSTER, which no one would have put together without the label.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 31, 2014, 11:18:23 AM
TRADE FUGGIN DEADLINE!

Yoenis Cespedes to Boston, which makes no sense unless they're re-signing him.
Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes to Oakland.

Lots of Twitter twatheads helpfully informed me that this is in fact a BLOCKBUSTER, which no one would have put together without the label.

I found it strange they traded Cespedes, but upon looking at his numbers maybe he's not really what I thought he was. Seems like Gomes and Fuld (LOL) will replace him, plus the A's now have Lester and it looks like they're not done, either.

I guess if you want to talk stupid trades, WTF A's? Sam Fuld for Tommy Milone? The A's DFA'd Fuld earlier in the year and basically the Twins are stealing Tommy Milone.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Lackey to the Cards for Craig and Kelly. Probably a good trade for Boston but Kelly seems serviceable at best and Craig is having a down year and is already north of 30.

Lackey is a shithead fuck so of course he's a great fit in St. Louis.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
Aroldis Chapman sure would be a nice piece to shore up the bullpen. The Reds aren't going anywhere, either. Maybe they pick up Leake to replace Wood or Hendricks, too. I'd love a big move like Syndergaard but a midtier move like this is pretty realistic, I think. They're not going to put up with this pitching staff long.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 16, 2015, 04:40:33 PM
Aroldis Chapman sure would be a nice piece to shore up the bullpen. The Reds aren't going anywhere, either. Maybe they pick up Leake to replace Wood or Hendricks, too. I'd love a big move like Syndergaard but a midtier move like this is pretty realistic, I think. They're not going to put up with this pitching staff long.

The hell are you talkin about.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 16, 2015, 04:58:10 PM

What the Cubs might do to avoid the likes of Brian Shitter and Whatshisname ruining things if the bullpen continues to be a problem due to injury, ineffectiveness, or both. And a 4/5 starter tandem of Wood/Hendricks probably isn't going to cut it. They've traded with the Reds before, so the in-division thing won't be a dealbreaker. They have the pieces to get anyone they want. Assuming they're not getting Syndergaard or Giolito or any of those types, this could be the kind of move they make. Maybe, maybe not. It's getting time to start talking trades so all I'm saying is let's just see how this plays out. Aren't you looking forward to seeing them in buy mode instead of sell for the first time in a decade?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 16, 2015, 07:37:17 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 16, 2015, 05:58:52 PM

What the Cubs might do to avoid the likes of Brian Shitter and Whatshisname ruining things if the bullpen continues to be a problem due to injury, ineffectiveness, or both. And a 4/5 starter tandem of Wood/Hendricks probably isn't going to cut it. They've traded with the Reds before, so the in-division thing won't be a dealbreaker. They have the pieces to get anyone they want. Assuming they're not getting Syndergaard or Giolito or any of those types, this could be the kind of move they make. Maybe, maybe not. It's getting time to start talking trades so all I'm saying is let's just see how this plays out. Aren't you looking forward to seeing them in buy mode instead of sell for the first time in a decade?

I still can't tell if you're serious.

I'm pretty sure he is.  On the surface, fine.  But, The Reds are a 500 team, 6 games out of first a quarter of the way into the season.  Why would they trade Chapman and Leake now, within the division?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »

Edit: I still can't fully tell if you're serious, because this would be more than a mid-tier move. But I've thought about this for two minutes and you know what? I'm intrigued. We'd also have a decent comparison because Craig Kimbrel was just traded.

The Padres gave up Matt Wisler as the centerpiece and he was generally ranked between 40-50 on most prospect lists. They also gave up Jordan Paroubeck, who's basically a fringe guy. They also gave up a competitive balance pick, Cameron Maybin and Carlos Quentin (neither of whom should factor much into this discussion).

Kimbrel was probably regarded slightly higher than Chapman and is under contract for longer (through 2018) at a reasonable cost. Chapman is a FA after 2016. So 1.5 seasons of Chapman should be worth a decent bit less than 4 full seasons of Kimbrel.

Considering that Kimbrel was basically had for a top-50 prospect, a competitive-balance pick, and some flotsam, that's something the Cubs could easily absorb with their system depth. Not sure what the package would look like. McKinney and Underwood? Maybe I'll pose this question on Twitter so everyone can tell me the Cubs should never trade a prospect for anything.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 16, 2015, 07:54:27 PM

Edit: I still can't fully tell if you're serious, because this would be more than a mid-tier move. But I've thought about this for two minutes and you know what? I'm intrigued. We'd also have a decent comparison because Craig Kimbrel was just traded.

The Padres gave up Matt Wisler as the centerpiece and he was generally ranked between 40-50 on most prospect lists. They also gave up Jordan Paroubeck, who's basically a fringe guy. They also gave up a competitive balance pick, Cameron Maybin and Carlos Quentin (neither of whom should factor much into this discussion).

Kimbrel was probably regarded slightly higher than Chapman and is under contract for longer (through 2018) at a reasonable cost. Chapman is a FA after 2016. So 1.5 seasons of Chapman should be worth a decent bit less than 4 full seasons of Kimbrel.

Considering that Kimbrel was basically had for a top-50 prospect, a competitive-balance pick, and some flotsam, that's something the Cubs could easily absorb with their system depth. Not sure what the package would look like. McKinney and Underwood? Maybe I'll pose this question on Twitter so everyone can tell me the Cubs should never trade a prospect for anything.

I don't hate this but I think the rotation is a bigger concern than the pen. Ramirez should be back in June and I think the pen will sort itself out to an extent.  I'd rather try your proposed Kazmir trade.  What do you think that costs?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 16, 2015, 08:10:52 PM

I don't hate this but I think the rotation is a bigger concern than the pen. Ramirez should be back in June and I think the pen will sort itself out to an extent.  I'd rather try your proposed Kazmir trade.  What do you think that costs?

Russell and McKinney? OK...probably not.

I bet The As would love Vogelbach.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 16, 2015, 08:24:44 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 16, 2015, 08:10:52 PM

Russell and McKinney? OK...probably not.

I bet The As would love Vogelbach.

We could give them Gleyber.  Seems only fair.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015