News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,070 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #315 on: July 23, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 23, 2015, 01:16:19 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2015, 12:57:00 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 23, 2015, 12:50:51 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 23, 2015, 12:46:55 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2015, 12:40:46 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 23, 2015, 12:39:43 PM
Astros acquire Scott Kazmir.

Oakland gets righty Daniel Mengden and catcher Jacob Nottingham, neither of whom I know the first thing about.

Both are in A ball. High risk, high reward, ranked #19 and #22 in the Astros farm system. If that's gonna set the market I like the Cubs chances of landing something good without giving up a Baez.

Just came back from Houston's MLB Pipeline portal to post the same thing. Assuming the systems are roughly equal, which most do, that would have been Jacob Hannemann and something called Daury Torrez from the Cubs for two, but hopefully three, months of Kazmir.

Hannemann is the meh outfielder and Mormon who knocks back Shirley Temples and optoats with Kris Bryant and PANK. And I had literally never heard of Daury until five minutes ago. Sorry, Daury.

To be fair Nottignham is a catcher who is absolutely raking and would probably be ranked higher than that today, but yeah, it's still not an overwhelming return. Cubs should do well if that's where the market starts

Nottingham's numbers in the Midwest League are impressive - it typically plays right down the middle between offense and defense. Cal League, less so, because it heavily favors offense. That 1:3 BB:SO ratio might spell trouble for him, though. And 6'3 sounds pretty rare for a catcher so I'm not sure he sticks there long-term but like Schwarber, might as well keep him there as long as you can. Finally he's young for the level at only 20. Him alone would have been a nice return, but fortunately the Cubs are lousy with guys like that.

I'll reserve judgment until I know his BMI.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2015, 01:20:56 PM

Oakland gets righty Daniel Mengden and catcher Jacob Nottingham, neither of whom I know the first thing about.

Both are in A ball. High risk, high reward, ranked #19 and #22 in the Astros farm system. If that's gonna set the market I like the Cubs chances of landing something good without giving up a Baez.

Just came back from Houston's MLB Pipeline portal to post the same thing. Assuming the systems are roughly equal, which most do, that would have been Jacob Hannemann and something called Daury Torrez from the Cubs for two, but hopefully three, months of Kazmir.

Hannemann is the meh outfielder and Mormon who knocks back Shirley Temples and optoats with Kris Bryant and PANK. And I had literally never heard of Daury until five minutes ago. Sorry, Daury.

To be fair Nottignham is a catcher who is absolutely raking and would probably be ranked higher than that today, but yeah, it's still not an overwhelming return. Cubs should do well if that's where the market starts

Nottingham's numbers in the Midwest League are impressive - it typically plays right down the middle between offense and defense. Cal League, less so, because it heavily favors offense. That 1:3 BB:SO ratio might spell trouble for him, though. And 6'3 sounds pretty rare for a catcher so I'm not sure he sticks there long-term but like Schwarber, might as well keep him there as long as you can. Finally he's young for the level at only 20. Him alone would have been a nice return, but fortunately the Cubs are lousy with guys like that.

The Cubs have 6'5 Cael Brockmeyer in Myrtle Beach. His crouch makes him look like a giant grasshopper.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 23, 2015, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: R-V on July 23, 2015, 01:20:56 PM

The Cubs have 6'5 Cael Brockmeyer in Myrtle Beach. His crouch makes him look like a giant grasshopper.
Speaking of batting stances:
http://deadspin.com/high-school-baseball-player-has-extremely-complex-plate-1719743742
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: July 23, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »
I'm conflicted by the trade of Aramis Ramirez back to the Pirates.  I want him to do well, but not at the expense of the Cubs.  Maybe he can only hit homers against the Cardinals or something.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: July 23, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 23, 2015, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 23, 2015, 09:03:37 AM
I've decided that if you can get Price for any combo of guys without losing Baez (assume anyone on the ML roster that we care about is staying) that the Cubs should do it.

Having him in the rotation, playing for Maddon, playing in a raucous Wrigley Field down the stretch, would probably hit all the right notes. It would allow them to start talking about a possible extension early, as well.

I want to keep Baez pretty badly - but I guess if it was Baez for Price straight up I'd have to think pretty hard about that, too.

don't think Jepstink move on Price without an extension already in the works. They could just as easily get Hamels, who is already signed for a while.

The upside to moving on Price is that a package with Vogelbach has more value to an AL team.

Unless that AL team has Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez signed for multiple years.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: July 24, 2015, 03:29:39 AM »
The Mets have said Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, and Steven Matz are all unavailable, which sucks, because Kyle Schwarber and Starlin Castro and Pick A Guy would be on a plane to New York for deGrom five minutes ago.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »
Gordo is adamant that the Cubs cannot add more than $5 million in payroll at the deadline, yet says the Cubs have talked to the Phillies about Hamels. Why does he think Theo would have even asked about Hamels if he only had 5 million bucks to spend?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 24, 2015, 07:24:56 AM
Gordo is adamant that the Cubs cannot add more than $5 million in payroll at the deadline, yet says the Cubs have talked to the Phillies about Hamels. Why does he think Theo would have even asked about Hamels if he only had 5 million bucks to spend?

I'm calling bullshit on that.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 24, 2015, 07:33:30 AM

I think everyone is. For one, they claimed Hamels when he was on waivers last year (although I'm sure Gordo would say they wouldn't have gone after Lester if they'd got Hamels then), but they also according to multiple sources made a 4 year, $60 million offer to James Shields. Kaplan has indicated they've had serious talks about Hamels. Nothing about it meshes with what everyone else has said, so typical Gordo.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on July 23, 2015, 07:18:10 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 23, 2015, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 23, 2015, 09:03:37 AM
I've decided that if you can get Price for any combo of guys without losing Baez (assume anyone on the ML roster that we care about is staying) that the Cubs should do it.

Having him in the rotation, playing for Maddon, playing in a raucous Wrigley Field down the stretch, would probably hit all the right notes. It would allow them to start talking about a possible extension early, as well.

I want to keep Baez pretty badly - but I guess if it was Baez for Price straight up I'd have to think pretty hard about that, too.

don't think Jepstink move on Price without an extension already in the works. They could just as easily get Hamels, who is already signed for a while.

The upside to moving on Price is that a package with Vogelbach has more value to an AL team.

Unless that AL team has Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez signed for multiple years.

OK, so maybe not this AL team. Cross them off, then.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 24, 2015, 07:45:25 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 24, 2015, 07:33:30 AM

I think everyone is. For one, they claimed Hamels when he was on waivers last year (although I'm sure Gordo would say they wouldn't have gone after Lester if they'd got Hamels then), but they also according to multiple sources made a 4 year, $60 million offer to James Shields. Kaplan has indicated they've had serious talks about Hamels. Nothing about it meshes with what everyone else has said, so typical Gordo.

Gordo/TheSunTimes are the Cubs' Paul

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »
The Cardinals are reportedly close to getting Steve Cishek from the Marlins.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2015, 02:17:50 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 24, 2015, 02:13:37 PM
The Cardinals are reportedly close to getting Steve Cishek from the Marlins.
ERA+
2013: 167
2014: 119
2015: 85

Gonna need that Cardinal Magix.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2015, 04:56:24 PM »
Intrepid Reader Cole Hamels

Please Theo for the love of God get me the fuck out of Philadelphia.  [1st inning]  Is this good enough?  [2nd inning]  How about this?  [3rd inning]  Maybe this will do it.  [4th inning]  Are you not intrigued?  [5th inning]  Okay how about if I do this?  [6th inning]  Have I been traded yet?  No?  Fuck my life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Colorado trades Troy Tulowitzki to Toronto. Thanks, Rockies, for your help with this series.