News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Reasonable Trade Discussion  ( 77,070 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Reasonable Trade Discussion
« Reply #330 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: July 28, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
Just get CarGo for Soler and we'll be good.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: July 28, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 28, 2015, 03:23:18 PM

Even as the guy who is worried shitless about Jorge right now, I still don't know if I could pull the trigger on this. But the reports say he's more likely to be traded in the offseason, so by then we'll have more info in the datase about Soler and Baez to see how badly we really need that third power bat behind Rizzo and Bryant.

I'm hoping Soler trends back up, Baez contributes, and Theo has the luxury of deciding whether or not he needs an Upton or CarGo or Cespedes. If things keep going as they are, he might need to nab one of them.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: July 28, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2015, 03:26:02 PM

Even as the guy who is worried shitless about Jorge right now, I still don't know if I could pull the trigger on this. But the reports say he's more likely to be traded in the offseason, so by then we'll have more info in the datase about Soler and Baez to see how badly we really need that third power bat behind Rizzo and Bryant.

I'm hoping Soler trends back up, Baez contributes, and Theo has the luxury of deciding whether or not he needs an Upton or CarGo or Cespedes. If things keep going as they are, he might need to nab one of them.

I'm not worried about Soler.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: July 28, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 28, 2015, 03:29:38 PM

Neither am I. But I might pull that trigger. What's Soler's max upside? Probably CarGo. He's a career 119 OPS+ away from Coors and a three time Gold Glover. Only downsides are giving up 2 years of player control and 6 years of age.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 28, 2015, 03:33:55 PM

Neither am I. But I might pull that trigger. What's Soler's max upside? Probably CarGo. He's a career 119 OPS+ away from Coors and a three time Gold Glover. Only downsides are giving up 2 years of player control and 6 years of age.

And Soler only costs $30MM over 9 years...that could be a steal. Is there something funky in his contract like Puig's?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: July 28, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 28, 2015, 03:35:18 PM

And Soler only costs $30MM over 9 years...that could be a steal. Is there something funky in his contract like Puig's?

I believe he can opt for arbitration early.  Even so I can't imagine trading a guy with his potential after just 92 career games.  I also feel like a dick now that I realize he's played 92 games. I felt like his stint last year was longer than that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2015, 04:03:03 PM

I believe he can opt for arbitration early.  Even so I can't imagine trading a guy with his potential after just 92 career games.  I also feel like a dick now that I realize he's played 92 games. I felt like his stint last year was longer than that.

It's problematic for fans as we have been living with Jorge and Javy and Addy and Khrist for like three years now and expect them to be awesome NOW NOW NOW. It's not as if they've got three years of big league ball under their belts where you can say, ok, he's never going to be better than this. But Theo and Jed know more stuff than I do and maybe they've altered their evaluations of their Core 4 to the point that they're not long for their cornerstone status. What we lost, what we never had. I doubt it though. 92 Games. 8 year olds, dude.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: July 28, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 28, 2015, 04:46:59 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2015, 04:03:03 PM

It's problematic for fans as we have been living with Jorge and Javy and Addy and Khrist for like three years now and expect them to be awesome NOW NOW NOW. It's not as if they've got three years of big league ball under their belts where you can say, ok, he's never going to be better than this. But Theo and Jed know more stuff than I do and maybe they've altered their evaluations of their Core 4 to the point that they're not long for their cornerstone status. What we lost, what we never had. I doubt it though. 92 Games. 8 year olds, dude.

I'd have been able to process Jorge's struggles better if I was told to expect them. He was billed as their most complete hitter, the one that wouldn't K as much, and last year he crushed it while not striking out a lot. His struggles are normal for a lot of young power hitters but not how I thought he'd struggle. I thought he might remind me of young Starlin, hitting a lot of singles and weak pop ups because his ability to hit everything would make him Try to hit everything and fail to wait for good ones.

I just hate surprises, is all. Bryant and Javy K'ing a fuckton to start never worried me. Their track record said they would. Maybe the problem was just how small Jorge's track record was.

Either way, I'm sorry. He'll be fine. 92 games ain't that many.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:26 PM »

Are you going to arrange for CarGo to continue to play half of his games in Coors?

Career at home: 326/384/599/983
Career on the road: 258/313/440/752

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: July 28, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on July 28, 2015, 06:56:26 PM

Are you going to arrange for CarGo to continue to play half of his games in Coors?

It's a big split, but the vast majority of players do hit quite a bit better at home.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: July 28, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 28, 2015, 07:19:59 PM

It's a big split, but the vast majority of players do hit quite a bit better at home.

It's 7 to 8 times the average difference.

Trading for Carlos Gonzalez on the basis of a two week stretch where he's been hotter than shit and the Cubs' have been equally cold seems like a bad idea. Chuck's on board with it, too. QED

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: July 28, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 28, 2015, 08:05:14 PM

Trading for Carlos Gonzalez on the basis of a two week stretch where he's been hotter than shit and the Cubs' have been equally cold seems like a bad idea. Chuck's on board with it, too. QED

Why are you assuming that'd be the "basis" for a trade?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 28, 2015, 08:10:25 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 28, 2015, 08:05:14 PM

Why are you assuming that'd be the "basis" for a trade?

Sorry, I shouldn't put words in anyone's mouth. I'm assuming people like Chuck are hot for him due to his recent tear as nobody was talking about trading for him two weeks ago.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: July 28, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 28, 2015, 03:12:05 PM
Zobrist to the Royals per the internet.

*kicks rocks*

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13331616/kansas-city-royals-acquire-ben-zobrist-oakland-as

DAMMIT. After hearing so much about him and the Cubs for like a year I'm kinda pissed he has to go make Ned Yost look smart instead.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?