News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: New invariant, less complex manifold  ( 1,623 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
New invariant, less complex manifold
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
A bit late, but one worth reading about: Friedrich Hirzebruch.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: New invariant, less complex manifold
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
QuoteHirzebruch's first great mathematical achievement was the proof in 1954 of the generalization of the classical Riemann-Roch theorem to higher dimensional complex manifolds, now known as the Hirzebruch-Riemann-Roch theorem. This used the new techniques of sheaf cohomology and was one of the centerpieces of the explosion of new results in geometry and topology during the 1950s. Further generalization of this led to the Grothendieck-Riemann-Roch theorem, and the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.

Sure... It all sounds so obvious and basic to us now, but there was a time half a century ago when the above looked like pure gibberish to the common man.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 11, 2012, 06:24:00 PM
QuoteHirzebruch's first great mathematical achievement was the proof in 1954 of the generalization of the classical Riemann-Roch theorem to higher dimensional complex manifolds, now known as the Hirzebruch-Riemann-Roch theorem. This used the new techniques of sheaf cohomology and was one of the centerpieces of the explosion of new results in geometry and topology during the 1950s. Further generalization of this led to the Grothendieck-Riemann-Roch theorem, and the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.

Sure... It all sounds so obvious and basic to us now, but there was a time half a century ago when the above looked like pure gibberish to the common man.

Geometry, set theory, and topology? This is the essence of elegance. If you can understand that a coffee mug is a torus, you're good to go.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 11, 2012, 06:53:24 PM

Geometry, set theory, and topology? This is the essence of elegance. If you can understand that a coffee mug is a torus, you're good to go.

So, it turns out I'm not good to go...

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Quote from: CT III on June 11, 2012, 08:37:23 PM

I owned a Taurus once, but it tended to accelerate whenever it felt like accelerating.  I also have had a haddock.  What do you take for a haddock?  Pardon me, I have to go and watch a re-run of "Big Bang Theory".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
I like that Stew is no longer apprehensive about coming into this section.

The Dead Pool really is the best part of this shit-for-brains site these days.  Oh, how humiliating.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »

I don't believe you. This is a basic example of homeomorphism: the connected surface can be deformed, but you can't get rid of the hole in the handle.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 11, 2012, 09:46:11 PM

I don't believe you. This is a basic example of homeomorphism: the connected surface can be deformed, but you can't get rid of the hole in the handle.

The ability to make Photoshops without a computer?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2012, 09:52:05 PM

Do not make me figure out the topology of panniers.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2012, 09:10:57 PM
I like that Stew is no longer apprehensive about coming into this section.

"I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up." Harry Hershfield (1885-1974) American comic artist

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on June 12, 2012, 01:05:53 AM
Quote from: PANK! on June 11, 2012, 09:52:05 PM

Do not make me figure out the topology of panniers.

I laughed.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck