News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Satellite in Chicago  ( 3,658 )

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
Satellite in Chicago
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:30:26 AM »
My step-dad still lives in the burbs (Glen Ellyn to be exact) and he's thinking about switching from CommiCast to DirecTV.

His biggest hang-up is the possibility of a shitload of snow building up on the dish, since you guys get a lot more winter weather than I do, so I was curious about you guys' thoughts/experiences on the subject.

Where I live has Time Warner as the lone cable option, which is fucking dreadful, so most people who have the means do a dish.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Satellite in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
I've had DirecTV in the city for about 10 years. Snow build-up on the dish has been a problem just one time. It takes a lot of wet, heavy snow in a short time for it to accumulate on the dish. I get occasional signal problems in heavy rain and snow -- maybe 5 times a year. When I had cable, it would go out randomly that often per month. It's a bit more of an issue with HD because of the higher bandwidth, but the downtime compared to cable is minimal. DTV also generally has good customer service.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »
Totes get Dish Network

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »
I have a DirecTV Satelite Dish here in Berkeley Ca.  What is this "snow" that you are asking about?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
If you could all keep supporting the local, honorable cable companies and stop throwing money into the pockets of Big Satellite, I'd really appreciate it.

#Mykidsneedtoeat
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on July 01, 2012, 08:44:54 AM
Totes get Dish Network

Thanks for the input there, Chicago.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 02, 2012, 04:52:04 PM
Totes get Dish Network

In Yeti's defense, Dish Network never locked him out of his house. 
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:37 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 30, 2012, 11:38:16 PM
I've had DirecTV in the city for about 10 years. Snow build-up on the dish has been a problem just one time. It takes a lot of wet, heavy snow in a short time for it to accumulate on the dish. I get occasional signal problems in heavy rain and snow -- maybe 5 times a year. When I had cable, it would go out randomly that often per month. It's a bit more of an issue with HD because of the higher bandwidth, but the downtime compared to cable is minimal. DTV also generally has good customer service.

Thanks for the input. We've gotten as much as 9" here since I've had it (yeah, I know, big f-ing deal) and it didn't cause a signal problem.

I was always surprised how high of a percentage of the Chicago city had cable vs. satellite until I realized that big-ass buildings probably make it tough to get a signal. I've been away for a while.

It appears God/Allah/BO is conspiring toward guiding his hand in the direction of satellite, as the one tree that concerned me in the southwest corner of his yard was blown down Saturday by the heavy winds.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
I've had DirecTV in the city for about 10 years. Snow build-up on the dish has been a problem just one time. It takes a lot of wet, heavy snow in a short time for it to accumulate on the dish. 

Spray some Pam on the dish when there's heavy snow in the forecast. Keeps the snow from sticking (unless your dish is too horizontal, which is another matter).
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 02, 2012, 05:03:11 PM
Totes get Dish Network

In my defense, I was just referencing the fact that AMC is now HDNetMovies on my guide

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on July 03, 2012, 08:19:49 AM
Totes get Dish Network

In my defense, I was just referencing the fact that AMC is now HDNetMovies on my guide

Coming soon to Desipio: Yeti's "Bikini Barbershop" Thread.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 03:50:48 AM »
Quote from: Fork on July 03, 2012, 07:39:46 AM
I've had DirecTV in the city for about 10 years. Snow build-up on the dish has been a problem just one time. It takes a lot of wet, heavy snow in a short time for it to accumulate on the dish.  

Spray some Pam on the dish when there's heavy snow in the forecast. Keeps the snow from sticking (unless your dish is too horizontal, which is another matter).

Usually I have problems with other things being too horizontal. That is followed by wanting to spray something, but her name's not Pam.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
Quote from: Tollbooth Yeti on July 03, 2012, 08:19:49 AM
Totes get Dish Network

Related...

http://www.zdnet.com/viacom-directv-talks-fail-26-channels-go-dark-7000000682/

QuoteOvernight, Viacom pulled the plug on 26 DirecTV television channels --- including MTV, Comedy Central, and Nickelodeon --- leaving millions of customers without content they had originally signed up for.

DirecTV claimed Viacom was looking for a 30 percent bump in royalties for DirecTV to renew its subscriptions --- around $1 billion in total --- but DirecTV claimed this was too high. Viacom cut off much of DirecTV's service just before midnight on Wednesday.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
I guess they kissed and made up because those channels all came back after about 10 days. I was going through withdrawal not having MTV 1-4 and Nick 1-10.

People here are pissed because Crime Warner is dropping NFL Network and the RedZone channel. Nice timing on that.