News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Alinea  ( 15,515 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Alinea
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 07, 2012, 02:47:29 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on August 07, 2012, 02:15:51 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 07, 2012, 02:08:12 PM
Quote from: thehawk on August 07, 2012, 01:47:30 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 07, 2012, 11:17:22 AM
Quote from: thehawk on August 07, 2012, 10:40:40 AM
My wife and I have been lucky enough to eat at each of Charlie Trotters, Alinea and the French Laundry.  In  Noelle's opinion, the French Laundry is the best restaurant (because of location, service, food etc.).   Alinea is the wildest and most fun.  They were all certainly memorable.

And then there's Schwa...

A completely different experience... more of a college house party where the cooks are 3 star michelin chefs.  I'm pretty sure that Carlson is doing a goodbye dinner for Charlie Trotter this month.  Would be a good dinner to attend.

Is he dying?

He closed/isclosing Charlie Trotter's.

Schwa is BYOB, which is nice.

Seems like he's been closing Charlie Trotters every year for the last 4 years.

It's the perfect scam.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on August 07, 2012, 11:12:20 AM
Mrs. Cubbieblue and I have been to the French Laundry only once.  It was in the early days.  It was on the 4th of July and we had been at the nearby Mondavi Vineyards for a picnic and expecting later on to watch fireworks and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  One of our group announced that he had reservations for 10 people that evening and there was still room in the group for us.   So we went, planning on getting back to Mondavi by 9:30 for the fireworks.  Needless to say, we didn't get back to Mondavi.  We sat in the garden at The French Laundry eating many courses and drinking wine for over four hours.  Lovely.   A memorable experience.  Keller has opened another place in Napa.  We have to get there.

The wife and I went to Keller's restaurant Bouchon in Vegas when were there on our honeymoon. His duck confit may have been the greatest thing I've ever eaten.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 07, 2012, 05:17:38 PM
Mrs. Cubbieblue and I have been to the French Laundry only once.  It was in the early days.  It was on the 4th of July and we had been at the nearby Mondavi Vineyards for a picnic and expecting later on to watch fireworks and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  One of our group announced that he had reservations for 10 people that evening and there was still room in the group for us.   So we went, planning on getting back to Mondavi by 9:30 for the fireworks.  Needless to say, we didn't get back to Mondavi.  We sat in the garden at The French Laundry eating many courses and drinking wine for over four hours.  Lovely.   A memorable experience.  Keller has opened another place in Napa.  We have to get there.

The wife and I went to Keller's restaurant Bouchon in Vegas when were there on our honeymoon. His duck confit may have been the greatest thing I've ever eaten.

That's awesome. My wife very badly wants to go to one of his restaurants, but can't justify the price of a meal. I'm sure we'll go eventually, though.
M'lady.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
As promised.

1. With the Otoro, the reserve was the Lackner-Tinnacher 'Steinbach' Grauburgunder, Südsteiermark 2008. Vi out this was a bit better than the Pinot Gris.
2. With the Burn Morels, Château La Conseillante, Pomerol 2006
3. With the Lamb, Ben Glaetzer Anaperenna, Barossa Valley 2009.  I believe this was the course in which everyone got to partake.  A lovely red, but didn't quite have the barnyard flair that the regular pairing had.  I preferred it to the regular, however.
4. With the Pear, d'Oliveira Boal Madeira 1977.  This was a wonderful Madeira, strong yet sweet and tasty, with fruity hints.
5. With the Blueberry, Nittnaus Eiswein, Burgenland 2008.

The rest were the same as the regular pairings.  Again, probably not worth the extra $100, although the Madeira was quite a bit better IMHO.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on August 07, 2012, 07:54:39 PM
Again, probably not worth the extra $100, although the Madeira was quite a bit better IMHO.

Foam that bastard with nearly raw Sercial, and one might be on to something.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 07, 2012, 06:35:49 PM

That's awesome. My wife very badly wants to go to one of his restaurants, but can't justify the price of a meal. I'm sure we'll go eventually, though.

The problem is that you keep thinking these are just 'meals'.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 08, 2012, 10:00:01 AM

The other problem is getting the food into the doll without it deflating
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:31 AM »

She knows what it entails. Loves Keller, owns his cookbooks. I'm sure we'll go, one day.
M'lady.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 08, 2012, 11:20:31 AM

She knows what it entails. Loves Keller, owns his cookbooks. I'm sure we'll go, one day.

Woosh!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
Alinea was one of the restaurants in this week's Newsweek article listing the best places to eat in the world.  This caused Mrs. Cubbieblue, whom I told about this sudden attention to Alinea on this site, to wonder why no one had ever told us about it before?  If we plan a trip to Chicago we will no doubt try to get reservations.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

I'm easily the cheapest mother fucker on this messageboard, and I don't regret for a second the cash I spent on that meal. It was an experience.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 08, 2012, 07:15:11 PM

I'm easily the cheapest mother fucker on this messageboard, and I don't regret for a second the cash I spent on that meal. It was an experience.

As nice as I have to imagine Bouchon is, I'm sure it's also a world apart from the $270 tasting menu at the French Laundry or the $295 tasting menu at Per Se.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »

I haven't quite been up in the Keller French Laundry range yet. We dropped two bills at Ruby Watch Co and tend to to spend more than a hundred whenever we travel somewhere to eat. Like I say - it's just a matter of time. Until then, know that for this, and other reasons, I am envious of you.
M'lady.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:44 AM »

Heh.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!