News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,303 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1635 on: July 23, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 22, 2014, 10:55:10 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 22, 2014, 10:38:28 PM
Soler to Iowa.  Almora to Tennessee.  Tomorrow.

2015 is going to be fun. 2016 is going to be awesome.

Also some prospect named Arismendy Alcantara hit one out on to Sheffield today.

so you're saying we can flip these guys for Francoeur?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1636 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:04 AM »
Quote from: Fork on July 23, 2014, 08:05:36 AM

There'd be little to no downside.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1637 on: July 23, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
Anyone want to volunteer to go check on Eli? 

He sure has been quiet the past few days with all this good news.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1638 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 23, 2014, 08:20:04 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 23, 2014, 08:05:36 AM

There'd be little to no downside.

DPD.

So, apparently in addition to doing some decent hitting in AAA (.294 with 15 homers and a .790 OPS) Francouer is pitching in El Paso this season.

6.1 IP, 4.26 ERA, 4/3 K:BB ratio.

Huge missed opportunity for the Cubs here.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1639 on: July 23, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 15, 2014, 10:09:33 AM
With all the focus on hitting...

2 of the big 3 high school pitchers from this year's draft have made their debuts in the last two days in AZL, Justin Steele and Carson Sands (the one with the insanely hot girlfriend I posted a few weeks back.)  Dylan Cease is the 3rd, will undergo TJ at some point in the next month.

Early returns are awesome, small sample size and all.

Sands: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Steele:   1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

Basically, they're on pace to never give up a hit or a walk and pretty much strikeout everyone.

They're both 19.  

Also, 8th round pick, Tommy Thorpe has just started pitching in AZL as well:
2 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K

11th round pick, Jordan Brink is also in AZL:
1 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K

7th Round pick James Norwood is already in Boise:
2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 4 K

10th round pick Ryan Williams is also in Boise:
2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K

At this point, pretty much all the Cubs main draft picks from 2014 have debuted, just waiting on Jake Stinnett (#2 pick, pitched a ton of innings in college this year and will probably throw a bit in a month or so) and Cease.  9th round pick James Farris is in AZL, but hasn't debuted yet.  

Looks like we can look forward to a long future of perfect games and no-hitters, based on early returns.

Some good updates on these guys.

Tommy Thorpe now up to 6 scoreless innings between AZL and Boise:
6 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K

Justin Steele also still scoreless in AZL
4 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K

Ryan Williams still scoreless between AZL and Boise:
8 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 10 K

Carson Sands with only 1 tough outing in AZL:
3.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K

James Norwood, since he's gone to Boise:
4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

Jordan Brink hasn't pitched since last update, so he's still perfect also.  

Quick tally, that's 26.1 IP, 14 H, 2 ER, with 36 Ks and 3 BBs.  
0.76 ERA, 0.65 WHIP

It's essentially the Voltron of pitching prospects.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1640 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
QPD? Well, shit...whatever.

More pitching stuff:

CJ Edwards returned to the mound (AZL) after missing a few months and everything looks good.
2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

Also, Pierce Johnson (AA) over the past 30 days:
32.2 IP, 18 H, 8 ER, 13 BB, 27 K, 2.20 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 3 HRA

Also, Duane Underwood (A-Kane County) in July:
4 starts - 23 IP, 14 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 24 K, 1.57 ERA, 0.74 WHIP

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1641 on: July 24, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1642 on: July 25, 2014, 08:41:04 AM »
Apparently all you guys have boners for nothing.   According to one Pat Geraghty, that is.

QuoteSome of you cubs fans baffle me.......

What Epstein is doing isn't some magical new plan nobody knows about except for him and his front office. Teams from the beginning of baseball have tried building teams through the farm system. Some succeeded, many have failed. The successful ones have shown luck in drafting, luck in trading, and luck in signing the best players--unless you're the yankees, then you historically buy everything........but teams like the Cards or Giants in recent successes aren't all farm teams......they traded and signed free agents, what a normal club does. Where did the Cards get David Eckstein, Chris Carpenter, Isringhausen, Mike Matheny, and Jeff Suppan--all pivotal role players in the 06 WS, 04 WS Loss, and 2011 WS?

What's even worse is that some of you blame Hendry, the guy I'm sure all of you rooted for when he was assembling playoff teams and stealing small market superstar players for bust farm players. Often, farm players don't pan out. Get over it--all of these pretty cubs prospects now will not be superstars at the MLB level.

Hendry had his share of screw ups, but he ain't the reason the team is bad now nor when he left till now. Didn't know it was his fault Derek Lee would get hurt, or Rich Harden would blow out his arm, or Milton Bradley would implode after moving to a big market from a small market with no spotlight on him and nothing but success. Didnt know it was his fault Corey Patterson, Felix Pie, Micah Hoffpauir, Ryan Harvey, Josh Vitters, and other highly rated prospects when acquired would bust. Bad things happen, cant help it--its in the business. Because farm players busted, its Hendry's fault.......

Again. Don't get it. Hendry is the reason this team got as close to a WS in my life since the 84 team.......yet he's the bad guy here because fans believe what they want to. I'm glad I got to watch Derrek Lee instead of Hee Seop Choi. Aramis Ramirez over Bobby Hill. Rich Harden over Sean Gallagher and Matt Murton. Ryan Dempster when Cinci thought he was garbage. DeRosa.

To modern day cubs--one day at a time, people. A top farm system means nothing other than you have players who are really good at not the pro level.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1643 on: July 25, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on July 25, 2014, 08:41:04 AM
Apparently all you guys have boners for nothing.   According to one Pat Geraghty, that is.

What Epstein is doing isn't some magical new plan nobody knows about except for him and his front office. Teams from the beginning of baseball have tried building teams through the farm system. Some succeeded, many have failed. The successful ones have shown luck in drafting, luck in trading, and luck in signing the best players--unless you're the yankees, then you historically buy everything........but teams like the Cards or Giants in recent successes aren't all farm teams......they traded and signed free agents, what a normal club does. Where did the Cards get David Eckstein, Chris Carpenter, Isringhausen, Mike Matheny, and Jeff Suppan--all pivotal role players in the 06 WS, 04 WS Loss, and 2011 WS?

What's even worse is that some of you blame Hendry, the guy I'm sure all of you rooted for when he was assembling playoff teams and stealing small market superstar players for bust farm players. Often, farm players don't pan out. Get over it--all of these pretty cubs prospects now will not be superstars at the MLB level.

Hendry had his share of screw ups, but he ain't the reason the team is bad now nor when he left till now. Didn't know it was his fault Derek Lee would get hurt, or Rich Harden would blow out his arm, or Milton Bradley would implode after moving to a big market from a small market with no spotlight on him and nothing but success. Didnt know it was his fault Corey Patterson, Felix Pie, Micah Hoffpauir, Ryan Harvey, Josh Vitters, and other highly rated prospects when acquired would bust. Bad things happen, cant help it--its in the business. Because farm players busted, its Hendry's fault.......

Again. Don't get it. Hendry is the reason this team got as close to a WS in my life since the 84 team.......yet he's the bad guy here because fans believe what they want to. I'm glad I got to watch Derrek Lee instead of Hee Seop Choi. Aramis Ramirez over Bobby Hill. Rich Harden over Sean Gallagher and Matt Murton. Ryan Dempster when Cinci thought he was garbage. DeRosa.

To modern day cubs--one day at a time, people. A top farm system means nothing other than you have players who are really good at not the pro level.

Oh yeah?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1644 on: July 25, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 25, 2014, 09:01:39 AM

Oh yeah?

The bolded parts are interesting because Hendry was the GM and then before that the head of the farm system so...

1)Umm...pretty much everyone knew Rich Harden's arm had a high chance of blowing out. That's kind of why he only pitched 5 innings half of the time.

2)....Hendry was frequently criticized for signing Bradley who was widely regarded as a psychopath. It's not like his personality issues Started in Chicago. I mean we all were willing to take him provided he hit like he did in Texas but still, that is something Jim Hendry as GM was well aware of before bringing him in.

3)If it's not the head of scouting and later GM's fault that every prospect fails, whose fault is it?

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1645 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2014, 09:07:54 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 25, 2014, 09:01:39 AM

Oh yeah?

The bolded parts are interesting because Hendry was the GM and then before that the head of the farm system so...

1)Umm...pretty much everyone knew Rich Harden's arm had a high chance of blowing out. That's kind of why he only pitched 5 innings half of the time.

2)....Hendry was frequently criticized for signing Bradley who was widely regarded as a psychopath. It's not like his personality issues Started in Chicago. I mean we all were willing to take him provided he hit like he did in Texas but still, that is something Jim Hendry as GM was well aware of before bringing him in.

3)If it's not the head of scouting and later GM's fault that every prospect fails, whose fault is it?

I thought Rich Harden only pitched 5 innings a start because he was already at 100 pitches by then.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1646 on: July 25, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »

Uh, Director of Player Development? Coaching staff? The unexorcised curse of the Bartgoat?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1647 on: July 26, 2014, 06:23:09 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 25, 2014, 09:23:22 AM

Uh, Director of Player Development? Coaching staff? The unexorcised curse of the Bartgoat?

I will not hear another word against Oneri Fleita.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1648 on: July 27, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »

He's seen it too many times.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1649 on: July 27, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Minor league baseball IS the pro level, big guy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16