News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,321 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1650 on: July 28, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
In Houston, the butthurt is palpable.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24639104/report-some-astros-players-upset-over-mark-appel-promotion-bullpen

Seriously, how is this story not about the Cubs? That's what a failing rebuild looks and sounds like. Complete opposite of what we have here.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1651 on: July 28, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 28, 2014, 01:47:34 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24639104/report-some-astros-players-upset-over-mark-appel-promotion-bullpen

Seriously, how is this story not about the Cubs? That's what a failing rebuild looks and sounds like. Complete opposite of what we have here.

It's literally the first time in human history that Cubs fans can be self-righteous about something.

Well, other than the White Sox.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1652 on: July 28, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

When I clicked the link I assumed that for some reason the Astros had promoted Appel to big club.  What the fuck do players on the major league roster care about a guy being bumped from A to AA?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1653 on: July 28, 2014, 03:22:42 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 28, 2014, 03:08:24 PM

When I clicked the link I assumed that for some reason the Astros had promoted Appel to big club.  What the fuck do players on the major league roster care about a guy being bumped from A to AA?

It seems they were more upset that he got to throw a bullpen session in front of dignitaries in Minute Maid Park. Again, no idea why that matters.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1654 on: July 28, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 28, 2014, 03:22:42 PM

It seems they were more upset that he got to throw a bullpen session in front of dignitaries in Minute Maid Park. Again, no idea why that matters.

HOW DARE THEY TAKE A LOOK AT A HIGH-PRICED ASSET OF THEIRS.

Yeah this makes less than zero sense.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1655 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2014, 03:32:40 PM

I am also confused by this. The Astros hired a bunch of internet guys so I think everyone thought that meant they'd be smart. I guess not.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1656 on: July 28, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 28, 2014, 03:38:02 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2014, 03:32:40 PM

I am also confused by this. The Astros hired a bunch of internet guys so I think everyone thought that meant they'd be smart. I guess not.

They didn't get Friedman.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1657 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

They're upset because he's thrown the ball like shit all year when guys with better numbers at his level and higher don't get promoted and don't get flown to Houston for a bullpen session with the big club. It's unearned. Draft position doesn't really matter to most players.

Combine this with the shady way the Astros handled Brady Aiken's non-deal (and nixing Nix's agreed-to bonus) and the mood is turning on Luhnow on company. How much of this is delight that the supposed Internet nerds are failing and how much is it actual condemnation of how they're doing business?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1658 on: July 28, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 28, 2014, 04:24:19 PM

When I clicked the link I assumed that for some reason the Astros had promoted Appel to big club.  What the fuck do players on the major league roster care about a guy being bumped from A to AA?

They're upset because he's thrown the ball like shit all year when guys with better numbers at his level and higher don't get promoted and don't get flown to Houston for a bullpen session with the big club. It's unearned. Draft position doesn't really matter to most players.

Combine this with the shady way the Astros handled Brady Aiken's non-deal (and nixing Nix'a agreed-to bonus) and the mood is turning on Luhnow on company. How many of this is delight that the supposed Internet nerds are failing and how much is it actual condemnation of how they're doing business?

Yeah believe it or not we understand What they're upset about, we just think it's really fucking stupid to be upset about that. But thanks for spelling it out, Chief.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1659 on: July 28, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
Shit, is it not possible that they were worried Appel might have some hidden injury causing him to pitch like a turd, and they wanted to check him out? If players can't understand that a guy the club has a lot of money invested in gets a little bit more attention than ones they don't they're fucking stupid.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1660 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2014, 04:25:53 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 28, 2014, 04:24:19 PM

Combine this with the shady way the Astros handled Brady Aiken's non-deal (and nixing Nix'a agreed-to bonus) and the mood is turning on Luhnow on company. How many of this is delight that the supposed Internet nerds are failing and how much is it actual condemnation of how they're doing business?

Yeah believe it or not we understand What they're upset about, we just think it's really fucking stupid to be upset about that. But thanks for spelling it out, Chief.

No problem,...whatever your title is. The BP scouting report I read over the weekend said Appel lacks fortitude on the mound, he's not aggressive like he was at USC. Maybe this is just an excuse because no one likes him in the org.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1661 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2014, 04:27:25 PM
Shit, is it not possible that they were worried Appel might have some hidden injury causing him to pitch like a turd, and they wanted to check him out? If players can't understand that a guy the club has a lot of money invested in gets a little bit more attention than ones they don't they're fucking stupid.

If this were Facebook I would click the "Like" button.  Appel is apparently a bust.  They could have had Bryant instead. You can't fault the bigshots for wanting to see it themselves.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1662 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »

Baseball players? Stupid? Why I never.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1663 on: July 29, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 29, 2014, 09:45:22 AM

Baseball players? Stupid? Why I never.

Exhibit A, one of my favorite baseball stories.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1664 on: July 29, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
DPD for another update on the underrated minor league pitching.  

Daury Torrez was again denied his 10th win, but went 6 strong and now sits at 110 IP, 98 H, 35 ER, 17 BB, 64K.  2.85 ERA, 1.04 WHIP for Kane County.
CJ Edwards with another strong showing in AZL, 3.2 scoreless, now at 5.2 healthy innings with AZL and 8 Ks.  Dominating the 17-year olds and should be back to AA soon.

Also, for TDubbs, who said to wait until one of the 2014 draftees got to 9 innings before posting about them again:
Tommy Thorpe (8th round pick) with pretty much a perfect start to his MLB career: 9 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10K.

Plus, he kind of looks like a blonde, lefty Samardzija, so there's that.