News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,404 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2055 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 31, 2015, 12:32:30 PM
Quote from: PANK! on March 31, 2015, 10:34:45 AM
So Russell at 3rd, Castro stays.

I was not denigrating Castro's play at shortstop BTW.  He's MUCH improved and more consistent than when he was a kid. He's fine there.  I happen to think Baez would be a better shortstop (as would Russell) but I'd prefer not to get tangled up in it, instead appreciating for a moment the time we're in here. These are nice problems to have as they say.

Very nice problems indeed, but that doesn't mean we can't be internet GM's.

If the Cubs do keep Baez and intend to have him as part of their long term future (something I'm not 100% sure of...not like I'm sure Bryant and Russell are part of the long term outlook), then Bryant more than likely goes to LF. It appears he's going there right now, anyway.

Given that circumstance (Bryant to LF), I've run circles around what I think the futureinfield would look like (assuming, also, that Mike Olt is an afterthought). What is the BEST defensive infield given Castro, Baez and Russell? If I just use range factor, the best is Baez at 4.56 (mostly SS in the minors), then Castro at 4.28 and then Russell at 4.10. By FLD% it's Castro, Russell, Baez. FLD% is a weak measurable though, right?

If I had to make a swamp-educated guess, I'd probably assume Starlin at SS, Baez at 2B and Russell at 3B. I couldn't find much more in the way of advanced defensive statistics (I didn't really dig all that much, assuming defensive stats for minor league players would be sparse). The thinking is that the Cubs would be fine no matter who plays where on defense out of those three. They are all above average defensive infielders.

I also would find it hard to believe that Russell doesn't get called up this year.

This is why Jepstink have been stockpiling middle infielders. The odds of a 100% success rate is pretty damn remote, and in the end Castro might be the best solution at short after all. And before we have visions of Bryant patrolling LF in Wrigley Field forever (once Theo has Boras rubbed out), remember that in a year or so they'll have to find a place for SKOwarber's bat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2056 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
So are we writing off Olt as a possibility long term? If Bryant is in left, and Castro/Russell are at SS and 2B, and Baez turns out to be AAAA then it would be nice if he turned out to be a solid player.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2057 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 31, 2015, 01:02:16 PM
... remember that in a year or so they'll have to find a place for SKOwarber's bat.

I don't think this one is going to catch on, Fork.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2058 on: March 31, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »

I was not denigrating Castro's play at shortstop BTW.  He's MUCH improved and more consistent than when he was a kid. He's fine there.  I happen to think Baez would be a better shortstop (as would Russell) but I'd prefer not to get tangled up in it, instead appreciating for a moment the time we're in here. These are nice problems to have as they say.

If the Cubs do keep Baez and intend to have him as part of their long term future (something I'm not 100% sure of...not like I'm sure Bryant and Russell are part of the long term outlook), then Bryant more than likely goes to LF. It appears he's going there right now, anyway.

Given that circumstance (Bryant to LF), I've run circles around what I think the futureinfield would look like (assuming, also, that Mike Olt is an afterthought). What is the BEST defensive infield given Castro, Baez and Russell? If I just use range factor, the best is Baez at 4.56 (mostly SS in the minors), then Castro at 4.28 and then Russell at 4.10. By FLD% it's Castro, Russell, Baez. FLD% is a weak measurable though, right?

If I had to make a swamp-educated guess, I'd probably assume Starlin at SS, Baez at 2B and Russell at 3B. I couldn't find much more in the way of advanced defensive statistics (I didn't really dig all that much, assuming defensive stats for minor league players would be sparse). The thinking is that the Cubs would be fine no matter who plays where on defense out of those three. They are all above average defensive infielders.

I also would find it hard to believe that Russell doesn't get called up this year.

wanna hear an INSIDE HOT TAKE??????

Soler is a goshdarn animal.  He was swinging like a damn pussy in the cages and it sounded like a stick of dynamite going off every time he made contact.  I cant' imagine if he's really trying.  He's the one they love the most of the most.  Bryant is a close second.  And coming up third is Schwarber.  Apparently they think he's going to be the third best hitter out of all of these guys and he's going to be a legit player in the bigs.  They're just trying to find a spot in the field for him and he's working on it all spring.  Russell will be up very soon, and they're afraid of hurting Castro's feelings, so it's still kind of up in the air where he'll end up playing in the field. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2059 on: March 31, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 31, 2015, 01:51:18 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 31, 2015, 01:02:16 PM
... remember that in a year or so they'll have to find a place for SKOwarber's bat.

I don't think this one is going to catch on, Fork.

Like that's ever stopped me before.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2060 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 31, 2015, 01:55:13 PM

Soler is a goshdarn animal.  He was swinging like a damn pussy in the cages and it sounded like a stick of dynamite going off every time he made contact.  I cant' imagine if he's really trying.  He's the one they love the most of the most.  Bryant is a close second.  And coming up third is Schwarber.  Apparently they think he's going to be the third best hitter out of all of these guys and he's going to be a legit player in the bigs.  They're just trying to find a spot in the field for him and he's working on it all spring.  Russell will be up very soon, and they're afraid of hurting Castro's feelings, so it's still kind of up in the air where he'll end up playing in the field. 

What was with the Instagram video? I haven't kept up with Dubbs in a long time, so I don't really know how or why he ended up in the Cubs weight room but I know that I want to marry him more than ever now.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2061 on: March 31, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »
Quote from: Tony on March 31, 2015, 01:44:52 PM
So are we writing off Olt as a possibility long term?

Like a year ago.

The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2062 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »

Baseball America has a Cubs' prospects FUTUREBONER as well.
TIME TO POST!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2063 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 31, 2015, 02:13:21 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 31, 2015, 01:55:13 PM

What was with the Instagram video? I haven't kept up with Dubbs in a long time, so I don't really know how or why he ended up in the Cubs weight room but I know that I want to marry him more than ever now.

He was bunking with Jed Hoyer

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2064 on: March 31, 2015, 03:26:21 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 31, 2015, 03:18:33 PM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Looks like it's going to be the Cubs and the Pirates battling it out for the NL Central for the next five years or so.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2065 on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 31, 2015, 03:26:21 PM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Looks like it's going to be the Cubs and the Pirates battling it out for the NL Central for the next five years or so.

Once Kevonte Mitchell becomes your favorite player, everything's jake.
TIME TO POST!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2066 on: March 31, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Don't kid yourself; the Cardinals are going to be good forever.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2067 on: March 31, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 31, 2015, 09:57:16 AM
Addison looks to my untrained eye like a guy who could/will pack some el-bees on to his Juan Uribe-esque frame. In which case I could see him playing 3B.

Don't sell yourself short, my husky-jeaned friend. You've put in enough time in the bigs to be my fat guy scout.

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2068 on: March 31, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 31, 2015, 04:05:15 PM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Yeah I don't really see where anyone ever has any reason to think they can discount the Cardinals at any time in the near future. Their organization is everything we HOPE the Cubs are becoming, i.e. loaded with young prospects while having the prospect depth and payroll flexibility to fill any need (like trading for Heyward). They're not going anywhere. I'm far more worried about them than Pittsburgh, considering Pittsburgh basically has no recourse if prospects flop.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2069 on: March 31, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 31, 2015, 04:19:14 PM
Quote from: Eli on March 31, 2015, 04:05:15 PM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Yeah I don't really see where anyone ever has any reason to think they can discount the Cardinals at any time in the near future. Their organization is everything we HOPE the Cubs are becoming, i.e. loaded with young prospects while having the prospect depth and payroll flexibility to fill any need (like trading for Heyward). They're not going anywhere. I'm far more worried about them than Pittsburgh, considering Pittsburgh basically has no recourse if prospects flop.

Glug-glug, vroom-vroom, thump-thump.