News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,411 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2070 on: March 31, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 31, 2015, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 31, 2015, 04:19:14 PM
Quote from: Eli on March 31, 2015, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: Tonker on March 31, 2015, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 31, 2015, 03:18:33 PM

Baseball America has a Cubs' prospects FUTUREBONER as well.

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Looks like it's going to be the Cubs and the Pirates battling it out for the NL Central for the next five years or so.

Don't kid yourself; the Cardinals are going to be good forever.

Yeah I don't really see where anyone ever has any reason to think they can discount the Cardinals at any time in the near future. Their organization is everything we HOPE the Cubs are becoming, i.e. loaded with young prospects while having the prospect depth and payroll flexibility to fill any need (like trading for Heyward). They're not going anywhere. I'm far more worried about them than Pittsburgh, considering Pittsburgh basically has no recourse if prospects flop.

Glug-glug, vroom-vroom, thump-thump.

Yeah, but not even that has stopped them.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2071 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 31, 2015, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: Oleg on March 31, 2015, 04:49:56 PM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Looks like it's going to be the Cubs and the Pirates battling it out for the NL Central for the next five years or so.

Yeah I don't really see where anyone ever has any reason to think they can discount the Cardinals at any time in the near future. Their organization is everything we HOPE the Cubs are becoming, i.e. loaded with young prospects while having the prospect depth and payroll flexibility to fill any need (like trading for Heyward). They're not going anywhere. I'm far more worried about them than Pittsburgh, considering Pittsburgh basically has no recourse if prospects flop.

Glug-glug, vroom-vroom, thump-thump.

Yeah, but not even that has stopped them.

Just wait until they get their charter pilot drunk. Unless he's Denzel Washington, that'll do it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2072 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:55 AM »

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Yeah, I really hope the Cubs also hire a moron as manager.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2073 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 01, 2015, 01:27:55 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Yeah Matheny being a moron is great but he's also been to three straight NLCS. Considering we're talking about the Cardinals as contenders within the division for the next five years or so I don't think he's quite enough of a detriment to stop them.

No level of butthurt changes the fact that the Cardinals have been consistently good for a decade and a half and there's no reason to think they'll stop being good. I'll worry about battling Pittsburgh more than St. Louis for the division the year the Pirates, you know, actually win the division. Which has happened exactly zero times.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2074 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 08:14:30 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Yeah Matheny being a moron is great but he's also been to three straight NLCS. Considering we're talking about the Cardinals as contenders within the division for the next five years or so I don't think he's quite enough of a detriment to stop them.

No level of butthurt changes the fact that the Cardinals have been consistently good for a decade and a half and there's no reason to think they'll stop being good. I'll worry about battling Pittsburgh more than St. Louis for the division the year the Pirates, you know, actually win the division. Which has happened exactly zero times.

In 2-3 years, the Cubs will be such a colossal fucking juggernaut that the rest of the division will just be meat. Book it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2075 on: April 01, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 01, 2015, 08:29:26 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

In 2-3 years, the Cubs will be such a colossal fucking juggernaut that the rest of the division will just be meat. Book it.

The Dodgers and Giants and Yankees (until just recently) and Red Sox have battled each other for supremacy in their divisions almost every year for the past two decades. Because the Cubs have been run by complete morons who make Mike Matheny look like Edward Barrow, we've been left out of that fun while the Cardinals kick our dicks in the dirt every single year save 3. Baseball is not basketball where you get two or three iconic players and lay waste to your entire league for as long as you can keep them healthy. All we can really ask for is a LAD/SF or NYY/BOS type of scenario between now and whenever the planet gets so fucked up that sports become secondary to basic survival and hording fresh water. So you know five more good years, hopefully a World Series trophy and death to Hawk Harrelson. That's what's on the table now.  
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2076 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

And back to the original point, dismissing them based on one publication ranking their farm system as middle-of-the-pack in one year (after several years of top 10 rankings) seems pretty short-sighted, especially for Tonk, OF WHOM I'D EXPECT BETTER.

I mean, I know we as Cubs fans have based our entire fandom on farm system rankings for the past five years, but c'mon.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2077 on: April 01, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 01, 2015, 08:51:08 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

And back to the original point, dismissing them based on one publication ranking their farm system as middle-of-the-pack in one year (after several years of top 10 rankings) seems pretty short-sighted, especially for Tonk, OF WHOM I'D EXPECT BETTER.

I mean, I know we as Cubs fans have based our entire fandom on farm system rankings for the past five years, but c'mon.

In 2010, BA.com had the Cardinals ranked 29th on this same list. At the time it seemed fair, but: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/toronto-blue-jays-draft-aaron-sanchez-dalton-pompey-alex-anthopoulos-reyes-buehrle-dickey-040115 (used the link because of the easy to use quote)

QuoteIn recent years, I've written and talked a lot about the brilliance of the Cardinals' 2009 draft. The team's bounty that year included Shelby Miller (first round), Joe Kelly (third), Matt Carpenter (13th), Trevor Rosenthal (21st) and Matt Adams (23rd).

So, really, who fucking knows.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2078 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 01, 2015, 08:51:08 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Jesus Christ.  I thought I was just, fairly quietly, fantasising about the Tards' possible demise.  I didn't realise it would mean I'd have to justify my ludicrous outburst to a Grand Jury.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2079 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 01, 2015, 09:28:16 AM
Jesus Christ.  I thought I was just, fairly quietly, fantasising about the Tards' possible demise.  I didn't realise it would mean I'd have to justify my ludicrous outburst to a Grand Jury.

I assume something must have gotten lost in translation with the language barrier.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2080 on: April 01, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 01, 2015, 08:50:49 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

The Dodgers and Giants and Yankees (until just recently) and Red Sox have battled each other for supremacy in their divisions almost every year for the past two decades. Because the Cubs have been run by complete morons who make Mike Matheny look like Edward Barrow, we've been left out of that fun while the Cardinals kick our dicks in the dirt every single year save 3. Baseball is not basketball where you get two or three iconic players and lay waste to your entire league for as long as you can keep them healthy. All we can really ask for is a LAD/SF or NYY/BOS type of scenario between now and whenever the planet gets so fucked up that sports become secondary to basic survival and hording fresh water. So you know five more good years, hopefully a World Series trophy and death to Hawk Harrelson. That's what's on the table now.  

Let's also remember this year is the Cubs' (hopefully) last year of a top 10 pick, and all the slot space that comes with having a bad season. So they get to re-stock the pond to replace Bryant, Soler, et al. And the brave new world of MLB free agency with surrendering draft picks and whatnot means the Yankees are heading for that late-80s/early 90s spell of having colossal payrolls and free time in October. All we have to do now is hope there's not a Bob Watson or Gene Michael there who knows how to run a scouting staff so they can actually draft some good players while picking up the Paul O'Neills and Scott Brosiuses of the world. It's Jepstink's time to do that now.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2081 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 01, 2015, 10:12:47 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Let's also remember this year is the Cubs' (hopefully) last year of a top 10 pick, and all the slot space that comes with having a bad season. So they get to re-stock the pond to replace Bryant, Soler, et al. And the brave new world of MLB free agency with surrendering draft picks and whatnot means the Yankees are heading for that late-80s/early 90s spell of having colossal payrolls and free time in October. All we have to do now is hope there's not a Bob Watson or Gene Michael there who knows how to run a scouting staff so they can actually draft some good players while picking up the Paul O'Neills and Scott Brosiuses of the world. It's Jepstink's time to do that now.

Yeah but other teams know how to draft well, too, and are already good and loaded with players. The Dodgers have a great farm system, and Puig and Kershaw are far from done. The Cardinals haven't had to rebuild at any point in the last 15 years, they just keep replacing good players they lose to FA with smart FA pickups and good draft picks.

It's not dumb to think the Cubs are about to start a good run of success, it's dumb to think them getting better also means that the current NL heavyweights are getting worse.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2082 on: April 01, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 10:23:30 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Yeah but other teams know how to draft well, too, and are already good and loaded with players. The Dodgers have a great farm system, and Puig and Kershaw are far from done. The Cardinals haven't had to rebuild at any point in the last 15 years, they just keep replacing good players they lose to FA with smart FA pickups and good draft picks.

It's not dumb to think the Cubs are about to start a good run of success, it's dumb to think them getting better also means that the current NL heavyweights are getting worse.

Chicago does have access to a huge fresh water source though, so it's going to be prime real estate when the world economy collapses in the next few years. That should be boner time indeed.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2083 on: April 01, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 01, 2015, 10:25:23 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 10:23:30 AM

7.    Pissburgh
16.  Tards
17.  Reds
19.  Brewers

Chicago does have access to a huge fresh water source though, so it's going to be prime real estate when the world economy collapses in the next few years. That should be boner time indeed.

You clearly need help, son, but God love ya I'm not gonna be the one to give it to you. Stock up on guns and vodka while you still can.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2084 on: April 01, 2015, 10:33:33 AM »
This whole debate is Desipio's April Fool right
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?