News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 363,392 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #3060 on: April 29, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
We don't have a Penstory thread, so I'm going to post this here, since there is some relevance...

I live across the street from a former Cubs prospect. We live in a cul-de-sac on a quiet street in suburbia outside of Boulder. It's a very close-knit street and most of the neighbors are pretty close overall. Kids playing together in the street, neighborhood BBQs, etc.   Said prospect is also the head coach of the local high school baseball team.  He has another job as well, though I don't know what it is.  Overall, we're not that close with him and his family, but certainly friendly (borrowing various household goods from each other on multiple occasions.) 

Multiple times he has seen my son and I in the street, practicing baseball. Hitting off a tee, playing catch, etc. He never offers any advice, and one time when I specifically asked him if he had any tips, he basically brushed it off and went inside. Not a bad dude, just a bit distant. 

Backstory: He has a teenage son (big baseball player) and his wife died about 5 years back, before we moved in.  Super sad.  I think it was breast cancer.  After his wife died, her sister moved in to help raise the boy.   She doesn't have a family of her own.  The relationship between Dad and Sister-in-Law is super weird. We assumed for the first couple of years that they were a married couple and she was the boy's mom.  We're still not 100% sure what the relationship is between the adults, in terms of intimacy, but it's ultimately neither here nor there. It's weird and fun to speculate, but doesn't change the day-to-day dynamics whether she sleeps with him or she has her own room or whatever.  Still, for those of you for whom this is relevant, imagine your brother dying and then you drop everything in your life and move in with your sister-in-law to raise their kid.  It's at least a little bizarre.

Fast forward to about 18 months ago...

They get their car broken into in the driveway. We live in a very safe neighborhood, but it's the suburbs so this shit happens sometimes. The car was unlocked in the driveway and the robber(s) stole some golf clubs.  I think that was it. They didn't open the garage or enter the house.  Still, plenty invasive and scary.  The entire small-town police force was on the street in the middle of the night.

Since then, she has gone into epic paranoid mode. 

At least once per week now, she stops my wife to ask her if she's seen (insert Car X here, this week it's a black Escalade) driving up and down the street.  She is 100% convinced that there are people stalking her and casing her house. She has set-up many, many homemade "alerts" to see if people are on her property.  Things like Kathy Bates in Misery with the hair in the book.  Strategically placing branches in the backyard and then being terrified because they weren't exactly how she remembered them. Putting fishing wire on the back gate (the house backs to a walking pathway) and saying the line was snapped.  While I can't see them, she apparently has cameras all over the outside of the house and spends much of her nights watching the cameras from the inside, looking for shadows (of which she has seen many.) On a couple occasions when Dad and Son have been away at a baseball tournament, she'll stay in a hotel because she can't handle being in the house alone.  She texts my wife regularly to ask if there are any cars parked in front of her house.  She confronts landscapers in the neighborhood and yells at them to get away from the area (we have a park at the end of the street that the HOA maintains.) 

Yesterday, she saw my wife in Whole Foods/Target/Safeway (I wasn't fully listening) and said "I KNOW YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME BUT THIS IS TRUE."  Aggressively. 

It's a really sad situation, living across from the street from someone who truly never has peace in life because she's terrified of everyone.

So, Penstory short, I live across the street from a former Cubs prospect who won't ever fucking help my kid play baseball and his psychotic sister-in-law who has turned her entire house into a panic room for fear that "men" are out to get her.   
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3061 on: April 29, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 29, 2016, 02:19:00 PM
We don't have a Penstory thread, so I'm going to post this here, since there is some relevance...

I live across the street from a former Cubs prospect. We live in a cul-de-sac on a quiet street in suburbia outside of Boulder. It's a very close-knit street and most of the neighbors are pretty close overall. Kids playing together in the street, neighborhood BBQs, etc.   Said prospect is also the head coach of the local high school baseball team.  He has another job as well, though I don't know what it is.  Overall, we're not that close with him and his family, but certainly friendly (borrowing various household goods from each other on multiple occasions.) 

Multiple times he has seen my son and I in the street, practicing baseball. Hitting off a tee, playing catch, etc. He never offers any advice, and one time when I specifically asked him if he had any tips, he basically brushed it off and went inside. Not a bad dude, just a bit distant. 

Backstory: He has a teenage son (big baseball player) and his wife died about 5 years back, before we moved in.  Super sad.  I think it was breast cancer.  After his wife died, her sister moved in to help raise the boy.   She doesn't have a family of her own.  The relationship between Dad and Sister-in-Law is super weird. We assumed for the first couple of years that they were a married couple and she was the boy's mom.  We're still not 100% sure what the relationship is between the adults, in terms of intimacy, but it's ultimately neither here nor there. It's weird and fun to speculate, but doesn't change the day-to-day dynamics whether she sleeps with him or she has her own room or whatever.  Still, for those of you for whom this is relevant, imagine your brother dying and then you drop everything in your life and move in with your sister-in-law to raise their kid.  It's at least a little bizarre.

They get their car broken into in the driveway. We live in a very safe neighborhood, but it's the suburbs so this shit happens sometimes. The car was unlocked in the driveway and the robber(s) stole some golf clubs.  I think that was it. They didn't open the garage or enter the house.  Still, plenty invasive and scary.  The entire small-town police force was on the street in the middle of the night.

At least once per week now, she stops my wife to ask her if she's seen (insert Car X here, this week it's a black Escalade) driving up and down the street.  She is 100% convinced that there are people stalking her and casing her house. She has set-up many, many homemade "alerts" to see if people are on her property.  Things like Kathy Bates in Misery with the hair in the book.  Strategically placing branches in the backyard and then being terrified because they weren't exactly how she remembered them. Putting fishing wire on the back gate (the house backs to a walking pathway) and saying the line was snapped.  While I can't see them, she apparently has cameras all over the outside of the house and spends much of her nights watching the cameras from the inside, looking for shadows (of which she has seen many.) On a couple occasions when Dad and Son have been away at a baseball tournament, she'll stay in a hotel because she can't handle being in the house alone.  She texts my wife regularly to ask if there are any cars parked in front of her house.  She confronts landscapers in the neighborhood and yells at them to get away from the area (we have a park at the end of the street that the HOA maintains.) 

Yesterday, she saw my wife in Whole Foods/Target/Safeway (I wasn't fully listening) and said "I KNOW YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME BUT THIS IS TRUE."  Aggressively. 

It's a really sad situation, living across from the street from someone who truly never has peace in life because she's terrified of everyone.

So, Penstory short, I live across the street from a former Cubs prospect who won't ever fucking help my kid play baseball and his psychotic sister-in-law who has turned her entire house into a panic room for fear that "men" are out to get her.   

Thank you for maintaining the horrible standards you've set with these.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3062 on: April 29, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 29, 2016, 02:19:00 PM

On the upside, the elk killing case might have just been cracked.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3063 on: April 29, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3065 on: May 10, 2016, 11:43:55 AM »
With the Cubs off yesterday, gave me some time to catch up on the prospects. 

It's top of mind since he had a big game yesterday, but I feel like we're nearing a decision point on Vogelbach. 
Barring a Rizzo injury, he's got no role on the Cubs, and I doubt they'd keep him long-term just to be a backup, no matter how good he'd be.  Also, really no idea if he can even effectively play 1B at the major league level, though he's primarily playing there in Iowa when he's not DH.   

He's still only 23, and he's got a .337/.417/.547/.964 line in Iowa.  His K rate is up a lot (~30%) but it's never been a problem at any other level, so presumably he'll get it back in line with his career numbers. 

I don't know how much trade value he has, but I'll be awfully surprised if he's part of this team after the All-Star break. 
There are major league teams he could be playing for right now. 

Quick update on other guys we haven't talked about much lately:
CJ Edwards: Walks are down as of late, he's trending up.  Now through 303.2 minor league innings he has 387 Ks and he's only allowed 3 home runs.  It's remarkable. He's 24 years old and he's going to play in the majors for somebody.  Walks are the only thing holding him back, at least short-term. 
Armando Rivero: I know we've talked about him plenty, but holy shit, he's 28 years old now. He's not a prospect anymore.  He's doing well in AAA, but I think we're getting past the point to imagine he'll have any significant role. 
Jaimer Candelario: He's off to a terrible start this year in AA.  Still a ways to go. His plate discipline is strong though and he's only 22 so he's certainly still in play. 
Billy McKinney: We're flat-lining a bit here.  He's still super young (21) but he's been terrible so far in AA, a year after he showed some good stuff in that league as a 20 year old.   Still way too early to write him off, but it's been ugly. 
Jen-Ho Tseng: Got hurt again. I'm probably the last remaining believer in this guy. 
Ryan Williams: Fuck all y'all, he's going to pitch for the Cubs someday.
Victor Caratini: Appears to be sticking at catcher, unlike Zagunis. Behind Contreras (way, way behind) he's the next best catching prospect in the organization.  23 years old with a .803 OPS in AA and awesome plate discipline (19 BB:21 K this year, with a history that support this.)  He has no power at all, but could be a decent contact and on-base guy if his defense carries him. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3066 on: May 10, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 10, 2016, 11:43:55 AM

It's top of mind since he had a big game yesterday, but I feel like we're nearing a decision point on Vogelbach. 
Barring a Rizzo injury, he's got no role on the Cubs, and I doubt they'd keep him long-term just to be a backup, no matter how good he'd be.  Also, really no idea if he can even effectively play 1B at the major league level, though he's primarily playing there in Iowa when he's not DH.   

He's still only 23, and he's got a .337/.417/.547/.964 line in Iowa.  His K rate is up a lot (~30%) but it's never been a problem at any other level, so presumably he'll get it back in line with his career numbers. 

I don't know how much trade value he has, but I'll be awfully surprised if he's part of this team after the All-Star break. 

CJ Edwards: Walks are down as of late, he's trending up.  Now through 303.2 minor league innings he has 387 Ks and he's only allowed 3 home runs.  It's remarkable. He's 24 years old and he's going to play in the majors for somebody.  Walks are the only thing holding him back, at least short-term. 
Armando Rivero: I know we've talked about him plenty, but holy shit, he's 28 years old now. He's not a prospect anymore.  He's doing well in AAA, but I think we're getting past the point to imagine he'll have any significant role. 
Jaimer Candelario: He's off to a terrible start this year in AA.  Still a ways to go. His plate discipline is strong though and he's only 22 so he's certainly still in play. 
Billy McKinney: We're flat-lining a bit here.  He's still super young (21) but he's been terrible so far in AA, a year after he showed some good stuff in that league as a 20 year old.   Still way too early to write him off, but it's been ugly. 
Jen-Ho Tseng: Got hurt again. I'm probably the last remaining believer in this guy. 
Victor Caratini: Appears to be sticking at catcher, unlike Zagunis. Behind Contreras (way, way behind) he's the next best catching prospect in the organization.  23 years old with a .803 OPS in AA and awesome plate discipline (19 BB:21 K this year, with a history that support this.)  He has no power at all, but could be a decent contact and on-base guy if his defense carries him. 

Well sure, I mean Dallas Beeler also pitched for the Cubs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3067 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 11:48:21 AM

They're going to look to rest guys in September, so I could see him eating some innings then.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3068 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:18 AM »

Agreed. He'll start between 2 and 10 games for the Cubs in his career before we never talk about him like we never talk about Dallas Beeler.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3069 on: May 10, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 10, 2016, 11:51:18 AM

Agreed. He'll start between 2 and 10 games for the Cubs in his career before we never talk about him like we never talk about Dallas Beeler.

Considering the derision and scorn he's received in these parts, I'll take this as a huge victory. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3070 on: May 10, 2016, 12:00:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 10, 2016, 11:55:02 AM

Considering the derision and scorn he's received in these parts, I'll take this as a huge victory. 

Ahh yes, the scorn of saying a guy with an 88 MPH fastball who dominated a bunch of high school kids shortly after he got home from two tours in 'Nam might not actually be a legit prospect.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3071 on: May 10, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 06, 2016, 05:30:57 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 06, 2016, 04:21:02 PM
I'm not paying as much attention to prospects.

PenFact's truth checker says: PANTS ON FIRE
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3072 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 10, 2016, 12:00:57 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 10, 2016, 11:55:02 AM

Ahh yes, the scorn of saying a guy with an 88 MPH fastball who dominated a bunch of high school kids shortly after he got home from two tours in 'Nam might not actually be a legit prospect.

I just circled this post in mustard.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3073 on: May 11, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »
The return of Carl Edwards Jr. with the doubleheader. 

I bet he strikes out 4 in one inning today.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3074 on: May 11, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 11, 2016, 10:18:23 AM
The return of Carl Edwards Jr. with the doubleheader. 

I bet he strikes out 4 in one inning today.

Why do you assume Federowicz will be catching him?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs