News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: College Basketball Still Sucks 2012-13  ( 24,142 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: College Basketball Still Sucks 2012-13
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
Holy shit.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
I admit it.  I am not a basketball fan.  But I will drop in on a game that has some point to it, like the NCAA championship game.  What I saw last night was certainly worth the time.  Things have changed in basketball officiating.  They called a lot of fouls, but by yesteryear's standards there were at least 2 or 3 uncalled fouls on almost every possession.  And traveling.  And double dribbling.  And flat out mugging the opposing players.  I found it very entertaining.  At one point with a couple of minutes left a Michigan player pinned a layup by a Louisville player against the backboard.  Great play.  But he got called for a two shot foul because before he got the ball he got the arm of the Louisville player.  The Michigan player, and the Michigan fans, went crazy, and who can blame them, given what everyone had been getting away with up until then.  I may have to pay more attention to College basketball next year if the officials are going to let the players play by playground standards.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 09, 2013, 03:50:47 PM
I admit it.  I am not a basketball fan.  But I will drop in on a game that has some point to it, like the NCAA championship game.  What I saw last night was certainly worth the time.  Things have changed in basketball officiating.  They called a lot of fouls, but by yesteryear's standards there were at least 2 or 3 uncalled fouls on almost every possession.  And traveling.  And double dribbling.  And flat out mugging the opposing players.  I found it very entertaining.  At one point with a couple of minutes left a Michigan player pinned a layup by a Louisville player against the backboard.  Great play.  But he got called for a two shot foul because before he got the ball he got the arm of the Louisville player.  The Michigan player, and the Michigan fans, went crazy, and who can blame them, given what everyone had been getting away with up until then.  I may have to pay more attention to College basketball next year if the officials are going to let the players play by playground standards.

They typically don't let them play to the extreme that they did in last night's game. This was a complete anomaly in style and quality of play, leniency in officiating and actual basketball aesthetic. One shining moment, indeed. It's usually slow, white guys getting trapped under the basket and failing to get a shot off or wide-open missed jumpers and poorly-executed out-of-bounds plays coming off timeouts. Occasionally, they'll go 4-5 minutes without actually scoring, and nobody will say shit about it and just pretend it's awesome because somebody just slapped the floor with his face for a loose ball, which was loose because somebody inexplicably mishandled it.

I know because I used to be a big proponent of all this. I also drank MGD and voted for George Bush twice and swore by Ayn Rand novels and fuck... there's just no end to it.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
Rick Pitino's face looked like death.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
Bo Ryan is retiring and BC MUST direct his 30 for 30.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 04:40:54 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 29, 2015, 04:35:08 PM

The US41 HellCaddy draws nigh...
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 29, 2015, 04:40:54 PM

The first 80 minutes are displaying the title and then explaining what makes the title funny. The last ten minutes talk about Bo and roll the credits.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 29, 2015, 04:52:25 PM

The first 80 minutes are displaying the title and then explaining what makes the title funny. The last ten minutes talk about Bo and roll the credits.

Or it's just the title and then 90 minutes of Wisconsin/Big Ten/NCAA Hoop luminaries just sitting there trying to figure what in the entire fuck.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 29, 2015, 04:57:41 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 29, 2015, 04:52:25 PM

Or it's just the title and then 90 minutes of Wisconsin/Big Ten/NCAA Hoop luminaries just sitting there trying to figure what in the entire fuck.

Don't forget the two segments where BC discusses Bo Ryan's five most successful and five most disappointing seasons but talks about the same five seasons for both.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »

Maybe this should go in the "I admit it thread" but I kind of like watching Providence, Marquette, Xavier and Nova games.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 31, 2016, 12:35:12 PM

Maybe this should go in the "I admit it thread" but I kind of like watching Providence, Marquette, Xavier and Nova games.

Maybe this thread should double as the I Admit It Thread for On Hoops, in which we all admit to caring about minor league basketball sometimes.

I tried earnestly to care about Purdue this year but their problems in the backcourt are so glaring that they've firmly established themselves as the most certain 5 seed ever to lose to a 12 seed in the history of NCAA Bracketation. If you do not pick them to lose like that in the first round this year, you're throwing one point into the trashcan. Caleb Swanigan is a legitimate NBA big with post moves and brute strength and high motor. I don't know who I'd compare him to just yet but maybe Zach Randolph with more ups? Or somebody nothing at all like that. I don't fucking know.

College Basketball Still Sucks.

But the 30 second shot clock kind of helps.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 06:31:46 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 01, 2016, 08:25:53 AM

Maybe this thread should double as the I Admit It Thread for On Hoops, in which we all admit to caring about minor league basketball sometimes.

I tried earnestly to care about Purdue this year but their problems in the backcourt are so glaring that they've firmly established themselves as the most certain 5 seed ever to lose to a 12 seed in the history of NCAA Bracketation. If you do not pick them to lose like that in the first round this year, you're throwing one point into the trashcan. Caleb Swanigan is a legitimate NBA big with post moves and brute strength and high motor. I don't know who I'd compare him to just yet but maybe Zach Randolph with more ups? Or somebody nothing at all like that. I don't fucking know.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 17, 2016, 06:31:46 PM

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »

At least they made the tournament, which is apparently a thing any team is allowed to do.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:19 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 17, 2016, 09:12:13 PM

At least they made the tournament, which is apparently a thing any team outside the state of Illinois is allowed to do.