News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: George Saunders  ( 4,064 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
George Saunders
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
I was recently introduced to this writer, and just finished CivilWarLand in Bad Decline.  Holy shit, why am I just finding out about this writer now? Anybody else familair with George Saunders' work?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: George Saunders
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
I've read that and a couple other of his books. He's pretty funny and also very dark. Great stuff.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
He was featured in the lead article in the New York Times Sunday Magazine a couple of weeks ago and they described his newest book as the "best book you will read this year".  He was also just interviewed on Jon Stewart's Daily Show.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 31, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
He was featured in the lead article in the New York Times Sunday Magazine a couple of weeks ago and they described his newest book as the "best book you will read this year".  He was also just interviewed on Jon Stewart's Daily Show The Colbert Report.

He got The Bump.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 31, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
He was featured in the lead article in the New York Times Sunday Magazine a couple of weeks ago and they described his newest book as the "best book you will read this year".  He was also just interviewed on Jon Stewart's Daily Show.

That's how I came across him.  My brother linked to that particular NYT article on Facebook, and that description of course got my attention.  I went to the library the next day and there was 1 copy of CivilWarLand so I checked it out.  i'm almost done reading it a second time and the book's not due back for 12 days.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
Finally got around to checking this guy out. Just finished CivilWarLand, in the middle of Tenth of December. Don't think I've had a chub like this for a writer since I discovered David F. Wallace. Semplica Girl Diaries is such an amazing story - alternately hilarious, macabre, and a completely accurate rendering of the bizarre experience of parenting. Cool interview about it here:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/10/this-week-in-fiction-george-saunders.html

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 21, 2014, 08:53:01 AM
Finally got around to checking this guy out. Just finished CivilWarLand, in the middle of Tenth of December. Don't think I've had a chub like this for a writer since I discovered David F. Wallace. Semplica Girl Diaries is such an amazing story - alternately hilarious, macabre, and a completely accurate rendering of the bizarre experience of parenting. Cool interview about it here:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/10/this-week-in-fiction-george-saunders.html

The story in 10th of Dec. that stood out to me was the drug testing one. Pretty incredible shit. Some of the stories in that one were a little off, for me. His earlier works are incredible.

Great writer.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 21, 2014, 09:23:41 AM

The story in 10th of Dec. that stood out to me was the drug testing one. Pretty incredible shit. Some of the stories in that one were a little off, for me. His earlier works are incredible.

Great writer.

Stupid question - but this is a collection of short stories?

Which is the book that one should get to obtain this collection?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 21, 2014, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Slaky on March 21, 2014, 09:23:41 AM

Great writer.

Stupid question - but this is a collection of short stories?

Which is the book that one should get to obtain this collection?

Both books that I've read (CivilWarLand in Bad Decline and Tenth of December) are short story collections. If you get those two books you'll be reading what we're talking about. He's also got two other collections and two novellas that I plan to hit up shortly.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »

THIS

Semplica Girl Diaries is one of the best short stories I've ever read.  Hauntingly sublime.  Thanks for the link to the NY article. Gonna read it now.