News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jorge Soler Zero Percent Financing Thud On The Shower Door SPLOOGE Fest  ( 67,824 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on May 18, 2015, 01:44:47 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 18, 2015, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 18, 2015, 12:30:51 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 18, 2015, 11:36:50 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 18, 2015, 11:31:07 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 09:27:02 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 18, 2015, 08:57:21 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2015, 08:51:44 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 17, 2015, 08:06:02 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
Jorge's K % would be a lot lower if every ump didn't give opposing pitchers every fucking fastball outside rhe zone that they want. He's getting jobbed regularly

Those were shit calls, for sure. And I love how well he knows the strike zone. But in that situation where:

• They haven't scored and the game is tight
  • Bases are loaded
  • There's one out and Coghlan is on-deck
  • The ump has already called that pitch a strike twice

He's gotta take the bat off his shoulder. The last pitch wasn't in the zone, but it was close enough. Given what had happened with the other two pitches, you have to figure that one is getting called a strike, so either try to foul it off or go the other way. I know there's a double play risk there, but it was just too critical of a situation to stand there out of principle. We've seen him hit balls off his shoetops to the wall, so it's not like he isn't capable.

In fairness to Our Man Jorge, by the time that 2-strike pitch came wheeling in, the umps had already gotten into his head.  Even if they hadn't, it was a quality 2-strike pitch--he may well have rolled over on it.

I know it's not fair or just, but it seems that until he can start consistently laying off that shit low and away and in the dirt, he's not going to be getting the benefit of the doubt on borderline pitches.  The good news is I don't think it'll be much longer before this happens.

He's done a good job laying off since the Harvey game, but he'll go back to chasing if he keeps getting jobbed on the ones he takes. It's a vicious cycle.

I think Maddon will go out and get tossed if Soler keeps getting rogered on these pitches. It's a better alternative to watching Soler fish for bad pitches.

Joe definitely had some unkind words after that AB. He definitely seems to be on to something about Soler (and to a lesser extent Bryant and Russell) not getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of their takes.

It's one of those "unwritten rules" things, rookies have to earn it. But Soler's really getting reamed.

And I'm all for Maddon reaming the umpires for that bullshit.

That's great and very entertaining. But he already did that like two weeks ago and it didn't make a difference. In the meantime, consider protecting the plate with an 0-2 count and the bases loaded.

For now, the Cubs want him shrinking his strike zone, so he was probably in that mindset more than plate protection. He'll get there.

Bollocks to that.  If you have even half an idea that the ump might call it a strike - and all of those pitches yesterday were close enough for a strike not to be an outrageously bad call - get the bat off your shoulder and foul it off until you get something you can drive.  Now, tomorrow, next year, in ten years.

They most definitely were outrageously bad, but given that the first two were called strikes, I'll admit the lack of an attempt to foul off the third was disappointing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 01:50:26 PM
Jorge's K % would be a lot lower if every ump didn't give opposing pitchers every fucking fastball outside rhe zone that they want. He's getting jobbed regularly

Those were shit calls, for sure. And I love how well he knows the strike zone. But in that situation where:

• Bases are loaded

He's gotta take the bat off his shoulder. The last pitch wasn't in the zone, but it was close enough. Given what had happened with the other two pitches, you have to figure that one is getting called a strike, so either try to foul it off or go the other way. I know there's a double play risk there, but it was just too critical of a situation to stand there out of principle. We've seen him hit balls off his shoetops to the wall, so it's not like he isn't capable.

In fairness to Our Man Jorge, by the time that 2-strike pitch came wheeling in, the umps had already gotten into his head.  Even if they hadn't, it was a quality 2-strike pitch--he may well have rolled over on it.

I know it's not fair or just, but it seems that until he can start consistently laying off that shit low and away and in the dirt, he's not going to be getting the benefit of the doubt on borderline pitches.  The good news is I don't think it'll be much longer before this happens.

He's done a good job laying off since the Harvey game, but he'll go back to chasing if he keeps getting jobbed on the ones he takes. It's a vicious cycle.

I think Maddon will go out and get tossed if Soler keeps getting rogered on these pitches. It's a better alternative to watching Soler fish for bad pitches.

Joe definitely had some unkind words after that AB. He definitely seems to be on to something about Soler (and to a lesser extent Bryant and Russell) not getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of their takes.

It's one of those "unwritten rules" things, rookies have to earn it. But Soler's really getting reamed.

That's great and very entertaining. But he already did that like two weeks ago and it didn't make a difference. In the meantime, consider protecting the plate with an 0-2 count and the bases loaded.

For now, the Cubs want him shrinking his strike zone, so he was probably in that mindset more than plate protection. He'll get there.

Bollocks to that.  If you have even half an idea that the ump might call it a strike - and all of those pitches yesterday were close enough for a strike not to be an outrageously bad call - get the bat off your shoulder and foul it off until you get something you can drive.  Now, tomorrow, next year, in ten years.

They most definitely were outrageously bad, but given that the first two were called strikes, I'll admit the lack of an attempt to foul off the third was disappointing.

First K (bottom 2nd, clear strike):

Second K (bottom 4th, bases loaded, within a hair of catching the black):

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I can't get too butthurt about those calls.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on May 18, 2015, 02:09:13 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 01:50:26 PM

• Bases are loaded

First K (bottom 2nd, clear strike):

Second K (bottom 4th, bases loaded, within a hair of catching the black):

The first AB isn't what I'm talking about. I'd say the second AB all three of those not even actually touching the zone yet all three being called strikes is "outrageously bad". Every ump is going to miss a few times, to call three in a row where not one of them is even touching the zone IS outrageously bad, but I already admitted Jorge not protecting against the third one was a disappointment.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 18, 2015, 02:11:40 PM

I can? If you call three straight pitches outside the zone a strike, fuck you. You are bad at your job.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 02:12:24 PM

I can? If you call three straight pitches outside the zone a strike, fuck you. You are bad at your job.

Agreed. I thought at first you were just arguing about the strike 3 call, but all of those? That's bullshit.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on May 18, 2015, 02:14:08 PM

Agreed. I thought at first you were just arguing about the strike 3 call, but all of those? That's bullshit.

That doesn't even account for the fact the most infuriating thing about it was that no one else was getting that pitch called a strike vs. them, be they Cub or Pirate. DeShaies even commented on one of the Pirates getting ball four on what he called "the Soler strike". It was just egregiously bad officiating within the context of the game, not just because he called three straight bad ones in that AB.

But, last time, I agree that Jorge should have protected against the 3rd one with the ump having established that as a strike against him, fair or not. I understand why he didn't given how he's obviously fighting his own instincts to chase low and away to begin with, but in an ideal world you'd like to see him fight that off.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Goddamn, I'm dumb...I didn't even pay attention to the previous calls...just the last strike calls.

Upon further review, that was awful and I'm stupid.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The first K was on Jorge. Last pitch caught the zone, he chased some bad ones to begin the AB, but I don't agree with "until he lays off he's not getting the benefit of the doubt on those takes". That's a problem with baseball as a sport. Something that should be objective like a strike zone should not be adjusted whether or not a player has shown patience in preceding ABs or not. When we've got the technology to easily show what is or isn't a strike having some guy decided what Jorge's strike zone is based on whether or not he swung at a bad pitch two days ago is pretty fucking infuriating.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

He didn't.  Pitch 3 (the pitch that was clearly way outside) was called a ball.  Pitches 1 and 4 (just outside) and pitch 2 (might even have caught the black) were called strikes.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on May 18, 2015, 02:25:18 PM

He didn't.  Pitch 3 (the pitch that was clearly way outside) was called a ball.  Pitches 1 and 4 (just outside) and pitch 2 (might even have caught the black) were called strikes.

If you're seriously going to argue that calling all three of those pitches strikes is good umping, I'm just going to walk away. Everyone of those was outside the zone. If the best you can say about ONE of three pitches is "might have caught the zone", that's not good.

Again, not arguing that Jorge shouldn't have swung at the last one. He definitely should have tried to foul it off and stay alive given how the AB had gone, but defending that ump is pretty inexcusable.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 02:31:42 PM

If you're seriously going to argue that calling all three of those pitches strikes is good umping, I'm just going to walk away. Everyone of those was outside the zone. If the best you can say about ONE of three pitches is "might have caught the zone", that's not good.

I didn't say anything about good umpiring, you twat.  You said he called three straight bad pitches for strikes.  You were wrong.

EDIT: As for the walking away bit, though, be my guest.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on May 18, 2015, 02:34:28 PM

I didn't say anything about good umpiring, you twat.  You said he called three straight bad pitches for strikes.  You were wrong.

Okay fine, he called three pitches in a four pitch sequence dead wrong. My bad. He still fucked that AB up and fucked over Soler royally.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I don't even get why you're arguing with me if you're not defending the official anyway? I conceded your point that Jorge should have protected on strike three. If you're not trying to argue that the ump did a good job, where's our disagreement? Are you really that upset that I think something is outrageously bad and you think it was merely "not that bad?" Upset enough to call me a twat, sir?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 18, 2015, 02:41:28 PM

I don't even get why you're arguing with me if you're not defending the official anyway? I conceded your point that Jorge should have protected on strike three. If you're not trying to argue that the ump did a good job, where's our disagreement? Are you really that upset that I think something is outrageously bad and you think it was merely "not that bad?" Upset enough to call me a twat, sir?

Clearly, I am upset enough to call you a twat, because that's exactly what I did.  I quietly and politely stated facts and was met with that passive aggressive bullshit.  As far as you're concerned, anything that's not good is outrageously bad and although it might just be your schtick, after a few months it just gets really, really fucking noisy, and I really, really don't want to have to hear it any more.